The time now is Sun Oct 13, 2019 7:54 pm
View unanswered posts
The Hobbit Movie
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fantasy Freaks Forum Forum Index -> Moving Pictures
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Are you excited about the change in director, or frightened out of your little LoTR mind?
Excited
38%
 38%  [ 8 ]
Frightened out of my little LOTR mind
19%
 19%  [ 4 ]
Indifferent(booh!)
42%
 42%  [ 9 ]
Total Votes : 21

LunaRaven

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 8:00 pm
Post subject: The Hobbit Movie

I just thought that i'd post a link to a great site that tracks the progress on the movie. I know that I want to be informed every step of the way.

Here it is
Skarla

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 6:07 am
Post subject:

I think a new director could be a cool thing... If you read the Hobbit and LOTR in sequence, they are two VERY different books, aimed at different audiences. I'm sure that Peter Jackson knows this, but if he did the Hobbit he might be tempted to add more LOTR elements than there actually are in the book.

But then, part of me is also terrified because Middle Earth is such a big place. Jackson did it justice in the Trilogy, (in my opinion) I hope the Hobbit is as good.

Knowledge is power and power corrupts. Study hard: be evil!
Xinpheld
Bird Man of Alka-Seltzer

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 7:39 am
Post subject:

It looks like ther're already planning to add more to the movie than what was in the books. Del Toro indicated that Smaug will be dead by the end of Part 1, so will the War of Five Armies will take up an entire movie? Doubtful. That means there'll be padding in there from other resources, probably from indeces and appendices, mainly because they probably don't have filming rights for things like the Silmarillion. Not that it'd necessarily be a bad thing. It sounds like they're going to try and transition The Hobbit into the trilogy, so that it's one continual story. Let's hope they do a better job of it than Lucas did with Star Wars.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
LunaRaven

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 1:42 am
Post subject:

I thought I'd post one of the most awesome Hobbit related Christmas presents ever!

Well, that's what I thought. Unfortunately, my camera's USB cord is broken and I can't figure out how to use the camera on my new phone(stupid technology). So, I'll just describe it for my fellow Tolkien geeks until I can post pictures up. There are two hobbit journals published by Running Press with concept art by Michael Green, both printed on recycled paper(yay for tree huggers! Now the Ents won't attack!). They are both lovely journals, each cover depicting a different scene from the hobbit. The first journal is titled A Hobbit's Journal:Being a blank book with some curious illustrations of friends & foes of the Nine Companions(From the collection of Sam Gamgee)

The second journal is titled A Hobbit's Travels; being the hitherto unpublished travel sketches of Sam Gamgee(with space for notes)

The first journal features an illustration of the company making their way down a mountain pass. The second journal has a picture of a road(presumably the road that goes ever on and on). The back of the first journal has a picture of two Goblets(one standing one fallen) and a passage from the Lay of the Passing Ages. The second journal has a simple picture of Smaug. The art inside both journals is lovely, and I know that I'll never be able to write in either of them. If any of you are interested in purchasing these journals, go to the running press website(runningpress.com).

Onto movie news:

Your chance for the Red Carpet in The Hobbit Movie!
Click here to find out how.
Skarla

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 12:15 pm
Post subject:

Wow! They look fantastic!! I want!

However, I agree - I'd never be able to write in them either so I'd best not, especially as I have just spent money on a spiral bound notepad with a really cute dalmation on the front... Still, I want! That's some Xmas present, you must be blessed with cool relatives.

Knowledge is power and power corrupts. Study hard: be evil!
Prusillus

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 4:50 pm
Post subject:

Pardon the lack of knowledge, but is this also going to be a series of films? I thought they were trying to make it one prequel film only.
LunaRaven

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 10:25 pm
Post subject:

Prusillus wrote:
Pardon the lack of knowledge, but is this also going to be a series of films? I thought they were trying to make it one prequel film only.

According to BilboHobbit.com, a recent interview with Del Toro and Jackson in Empire magazine comfirms that this will by a duology. The movies will cover the story of the hobbit, as well as the comings and goings of Gandalf to Dol Guldur. It seems from what i've read that the story of the hobbit will span over the two movies, and additional information from the appendices. I think that I read that the White Council will also be included, perhaps depicting Saruman before he became evil.

Fans were supposed to know who will be playing Bilbo by now. Actually, we were supposed to know by January. Apparently, Fisher, Jackson, and Del Toro all have the same person in mind. Perhaps they just haven’t approached this person yet. Or, they’re behind on their rough script, which was also supposed to be finished a few months ago.
Prusillus

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 12:15 pm
Post subject:

Thanks....that clears things up.

Not sure how I feel about that,...I would've preferred just one huge epic, but maybe it is a KILL BILL scenario? The studio figures let them make it as long as they want, only to release two volumes for more money? Or is this really an artistic choice?
LunaRaven

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 8:47 am
Post subject:

I just thought i'd give an update to all us Hobbit freaks. Hugo Weaving, Ian McKellen, and Andy Serkis will be returning to the big screen as there LOTR parts. Apparently, the wonderful system used to create Gollum has also been improved. Ron Perlman has also been rumored to be playing a part in the film, which isn't too surprising considering who's directing. I think he'd make a great Beron. There was a lawsuit thing going on for a while there between the Tolkien estate and NewLine(surprise, surprise) but it's settled now. According to interviews, filming should begin either right until the end of the year or in the first month of 2010. A Bilbo still hasn't been announced ,presumably because they either haven't approached someone or they haven't gotten a full comitment. Or, they're waiting to unveil the Bilbo at a later time.

As for the second movie, there's still on and off rumors about what exactly it's going to be about. I'm hoping they don't mess something up, but then there's always a chance. Afterall , many die hard LOTR fans were very upset by Jackson's movies. I guess only time will tell.
connor
the thief catcher

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 10:36 am
Post subject:

Mhmm, I think the hobbit is going to epic personally. And im glad that theres a new director because the Hobbit isn't as serious as LOTR imo. It has more jokes in and stuff therefore Jackson wasn't nesacarily the right man for the job; but i will be interested for who will direct the second one ( the one that links the hobbit to LOTR), or even if Jackson will help or co direct that film.
LunaRaven

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 10:24 pm
Post subject:

connor wrote:
Mhmm, I think the hobbit is going to epic personally. And im glad that theres a new director because the Hobbit isn't as serious as LOTR imo. It has more jokes in and stuff therefore Jackson wasn't nesacarily the right man for the job; but i will be interested for who will direct the second one ( the one that links the hobbit to LOTR), or even if Jackson will help or co direct that film.

Del Toro will be directing both films, and Jackson will be a producer for both films. Jackson, as well as some members of the team who assembled the LOTR script will be working on the Hobbit script. The script is apparently already finished, but anyone who is aware of the going-ons that occured during the filming of the LOTR trilogy would know that script revisions were made all the time.
If The Hobbit is anything less than epic i'll throw a raven tantrum, squak alot, shed some feathers, and circle Del Toro's house.

Wonderful Breaking Hobbit related news! The location where Hobbiton was filmed in the FOTR will be used again for the Hobbiton in the Hobbit. Click here for an exsclusive sneak peak at the set of the new movie.
LunaRaven

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 9:12 am
Post subject:

Just another little update for Hobbit fans. The script has apparently a completed first draft, which has been read by Ian McKellen. In this article, Sir Ian doesn't go into detail about the bulk of the script, but he does talk about Gandalf and the relationship between Del Toro and Jackson. From what little he said, I would say Mr.McKellen likes what he's seen so far, otherwise he wouldn't have felt the need to comment.
Screenrant also had the following Hobbit related articles:

Ian Mckellen talks Gandalf the Grey
Ian McKellen talks the Hobbit and Magneto
Guillermo Del Toro talks 'Hobbit' monsters

I'm still worried and anxious as most fans are, but I'm also excited to discover how very seriously Del Toro takes this project. His descriptions of the monsters sound fantastic and I can hardly wait to see released concept art for Smaug. In the full interview Del Toro also stated that he has no intention to mess with the order of events in the Hobbit, but he does want to include on screen where Gandalf goes the many times he dissapears(like when he leaves to deal with the necromancer). Here are some excerpts from the full interview regarding Smaug:

Quote:
The way I phrased it to Weta, I said we would keep the DNA in the same gene pool as the Rings trilogy, but that we would generate a different type of character. For example, in the trilogy most of the creatures are brutish or inarticulate.

In The Hobbit, the creatures speak: Smaug has beautiful lines of dialogue; the Great Goblin has beautiful lines of dialogue; many creatures do. So we had to design them with a different approach because you are not just designing things that are scary.

I also wanted some of the monsters in The Hobbit to be majestic.

I wanted the Wargs to have a certain beauty so that you don't have a massively clear definition: what is beautiful is good and what is ugly is not. Some of the monsters are absolutely gorgeous.

Quote:
think one of the designs I’m the proudest of is Smaug. Obviously he took the longest.

It’s actually still active: we’re finishing his colour palette and a little bit of the texture. But the bulk of the design took about a year, solid. It’s because of the unique features of the dragon.

Early in production I came up with a very strong idea that would separate Smaug from every other dragon ever made. The problem was implementing that idea. But I think we’ve nailed it. I cannot tell you what it(the idea) was because it would be a massive spoiler! But I’m 100 per cent happy with Smaug. If there is such as thing as 110 per cent, then I’m there!

Del Toro also went on to speak about the spiders:

Quote:
Well, they are the progeny of Shelob, but Shelob was quite a promiscuous girl [laughs]. She mated with many partners. And insects and spiders are incredibly adaptable creatures. There will be spiders… [Laughs]

That sounds like a Paul Thomas Anderson sequel: There Will Be Spiders! But they are visually quite striking and in a different way to Shelob.

I wish I could tell you more but I would be spoiling it again. They are very different. They are more creatures of the shadow, more creatures of the deep forest. They are not earth nesting. They are nesting in the canopies so physically they have adapted to that environment.

Del Toro has also been studying real spiders with a spider enthuasist and his team of concept artists, so we can hope for something fairly realistic but still fantastical. Oh, and here'a another fun tidbit. Del Toro is going to cameo! The article can be read here.

As far as cast, the only confimred members are still Ian McKellen, Hugo Weaving, and Andy Serkis. Ron Perlman is still rumored, though now it is speculated that he will play Thorin and not Beron. John Rhys Davies, who many fans wanted to return as Gloin, seems to have ruled out the possibility of doing the Hobbit, mostly due to the horrible punishment his face underwent with the prostetics for the LOTR trilogy(he had some horrible allergic reactions). He didn't say it was impossible however. I think if the make-up issues were sorted out he might be more enthusiastic. I would definately love to see Davies play Gloin.

But perhaps the best news of the month---Howard Shore will return as composer. He talks about his excitment in returning to a world he loves here
Xinpheld
Bird Man of Alka-Seltzer

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 2:27 pm
Post subject:

I just hope they can somehow integrate the Orc song into the movie(s) somehow.

Quote:
Where there's a whip, there's a way
We don't wanna go to work today
But the Lord of the Lash says, "Nay nay nay!"
We're gonna work all day, all day, all day

Yes, I've watched the original Hobbit movie once or twice. Why do you ask?

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Window Bar

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 5:16 pm
Post subject: Hobbit movie

From Luna's post:
Well, they are the progeny of Shelob, but Shelob was quite a promiscuous girl [laughs]. She mated with many partners. And insects and spiders are incredibly adaptable creatures. There will be spiders… [Laughs]

That sounds like a Paul Thomas Anderson sequel: There Will Be Spiders! But they are visually quite striking and in a different way to Shelob.

I wish I could tell you more but I would be spoiling it again. They are very different. They are more creatures of the shadow, more creatures of the deep forest. They are not earth nesting. They are nesting in the canopies so physically they have adapted to that environment.

This could be very good. The Old Forest Road was far and away my favorite part of The Hobbit.
LunaRaven

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 5:18 am
Post subject:

Casting for the Hobbit has officially begun, though other than the actors already confirmed(Weaving,Serkis, and McKellen), no names have been released for who may be in mind for the parts of Bilbo,Smaug,and the Dwarves(Both Brian Cox and Ron Perlman are both rumored to be Dwarves). However, New Zealand's MGM studio is busy casting extras. If anyone is in the area, you may want to try and nab a dead goblin or something. That's what Luna would do, if her wing miles allowed it. For the full article, go here
LunaRaven

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:45 pm
Post subject:

Hmm...me thinks an update is in order. For starts, Peter Jackson officially confirmed that there is no truth to the rumor about Toby McGuire being a favorite for Bilbo(thank the elders. Peter Parker as a hobbit? No thankyou). Orlando Bloom may come back for a cameo, but then, i'm not sure if that's accurate to the timeline. Was Legolas in Mirkwood during Bilbo's journey? Me thinks i'll have to break out the big books of LOTR facts again. The release date of the Hobbit is still questionable. As far as I know, PJ and Del Toro haven't made an officiall anouncements contradicting their former anouncements that pegged the Hobbit being released in December 2011. Actor Matthew Goode(Ozymandias from Watchmen) auditioned for the part of Bilbo. It would definately be an...interesting cast decision. Irish singer Ronan Keating also auditioned for a part in The Hobbit. For which part, I do not know.
LunaRaven

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 6:31 am
Post subject:

Small update--according to Sir Ian McKellen The Hobbit will star filming in June. The link for the page with the information is here
Rhodric
Lord of the Morning

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 1:19 am
Post subject:

I am neither excited nor appalled. These days I always expect the movie to butcher the book, and while the lotr trilogy movies were enjoyable, the books kicked their asses. Not that I'm a lord of the rings fan...even though it was the first fantasy I ever read...of course not my preecccious. Course, ever since I heard this eleven year old trying to give an elfish history lecture, when his only source was obviously the film, I've tried to avoid lotr fandom as much as possible. I really don't like to talk to people who aren't nerds.

I think smaug bearing on his back the ghost of JRR should eat the entire cast and crew though. Whenever hollywood starts adding crap, it never knows when to stop...
LunaRaven

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:01 am
Post subject:

Rhodric wrote:
I am neither excited nor appalled. These days I always expect the movie to butcher the book, and while the lotr trilogy movies were enjoyable, the books kicked their asses. Not that I'm a lord of the rings fan...even though it was the first fantasy I ever read...of course not my preecccious. Course, ever since I heard this eleven year old trying to give an elfish history lecture, when his only source was obviously the film, I've tried to avoid lotr fandom as much as possible. I really don't like to talk to people who aren't nerds.

I think smaug bearing on his back the ghost of JRR should eat the entire cast and crew though. Whenever hollywood starts adding crap, it never knows when to stop...

Of course nerds are the only people who make any sort of enjoyable conversation. Those not nerdy people are weird(not in the good way), and they don't get references at all. I dropped such an obvious Star Trek TNG reference at work the other day and no one got it all. People acutally started walking away. I'm ashamed to say I work with not one single nerd. Except Twilighters, but I generally avoid them when I can. Oooh oh! And some people were talking about 2012 on break, and I mentioned Nibiru and nobody knew what it was! Honestly, what is the world coming to nowadays! People gabbing about conspiracy theories without doing their research. Unbelievable.

Back to the Hobbit though, I think J.R.R.Tolkien would have been more the type to ride a giant eagle. But who knows, maybe there was a wicked side to him that nobody knew. That is, no one but you Rhodric. E--gads! Can it be? Me thinks it is! You're really an evil purple dragon aren't you! And you took one of Tolkien's classes! I knew there was something fishy about your scaley wings...*Snorts* pun...
TamAlthor
The Zeppo

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 11:09 am
Post subject:

Once upon a mid-morning browsing, While I pondered web pages (none arousing),
Over many a random and curious facebooks statuses and more,
While I readed, nearly laughing, suddenly there came a link that left me gapping
As of some movie news, Awful and agast, far worse than any gore
‘Tis only internet babble’ I muttered ‘some awful attention seeking bore’
Only this and nothing more

yeah thanks a lot luna, I was excited but i just read that del'toro has left the production.

:P

Now i am sad

I hope they make this work still

"The truth is that our finest moments are most likely to occur when we are feeling deeply..unhappy, or unfulfilled. For it is only in such moments..we are likely to step out of our ruts and start searching for different ways or truer answers
-M. S. Peck
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fantasy Freaks Forum Forum Index -> Moving Pictures All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: