The time now is Wed Nov 21, 2018 12:53 am
View unanswered posts
Parmesan Chicken

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fantasy Freaks Forum Forum Index -> Yummy in my Tummy
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LunaRaven

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 11:15 pm
Post subject: Parmesan Chicken

I am in awe at the lifelessness of this section of the forums! Itís like the forum cemetery! Only, instead of the earth being littered by the graves of humans it is covered with the graves of recipes long past. I think I'm going to cryÖ

So, I think a little rejuvenating spell is in order. I chose Parmesan Chicken for two reasons:
a. It tastes good
b. I'm in the mood for chicken

Come one come all! Whip out your aprons, puffy hats, and various deadly culinary tools!

Your first task young squire is the collecting of ingredients:

4 to 6 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1 cup all-purpose flour

Unsalted Butter (I like unsalted better and I find it doesnít overpower the rest of the ingredients. But, if youíre a sodium lover go ahead and use salted.)
2 large eggs
1teaspoon kosher salt(if you donít have kosher, using normal salt wonít hurt it too much. Personally, I occasionally use sea salt)
Ĺ teaspoon freshly ground pepper
1 tablespoon water

ľ cup seasoned bread crumbs(you can get whatever flavor you like best. I normally use garlic herb bread crumbs. Also, you can make your own bread crumbs with herbs from the garden. I'll include the recipe additionally, so if you want to make your own scroll down and make them first)
Ĺ cup grate parmesan plus some extra for serving. I love cheese, so I normally grate 1 Ĺ cups and set aside a cup for sprinkling(or drenching) my chicken.
Good olive oil(that sounds pretty broad. I use plain olive oil because I donít like the way extra-virgin fries my chicken. Iíve always thought extra-virgin better for vinaigrettes and salads.)
Creamy Dill Sauce(recipe below)

Now, the recipe originally called for a Lemon Vinaigrette as the sauce. I didnít find myself loving it when I made it, so I tried a different sauce that I loved. All sauces plus the recipe for the breadcrumbs will be at the bottom of the recipe. I'm going to include the Vinaigrette just incase you think you might prefer it.

Here we go!

Pound the chicken breasts until they are ľ inch thick. It doesnít have to be exactly ľ inches, just a close approximate. STOP! Just to make sure youíre doing it right, I'm going to tell you how I was taught to pound chicken. I donít like using anything that might tear the meat, so it has to be blunt. A wooden rolling pin or a smooth surface wooden mallet works best for me. Put your chicken breast flat on the cutting board, and then cover it with plastic wrap (I wouldnít buy cheap plastic because it tends to break). STOP! Before you go Rambo on the chicken remember that itís already dead. Youíll want to start from the center and work your way out with short, even blows. It normally takes me two to three minutes per breast.

Now, youíre going to need three plates. On plate one, combine the flour, salt, and pepper. I'm big on pepper, so I added and extra teaspoon. In a bowl, beat the eggs and water and then pour on the second plate.
On magical plate number three, the Cheese. Youíre going to combine your bread crumbs and your cheese on one plate(keeping your additional cheese on the side for later). If you donít like the plate method, you could put all of the indigents in large plastic bags. Coat your chicken in flour on all sides. Next, you coat it with the egg mixture( This seems odd to me the first time I made this chicken because I though that you should do the egg portion first so the flour could stick. If youíre having similar thoughts ignore them and keep to the recipe. The recipe knows bestÖ). I didnít want to throw my chicken on the egg plate like I did with the flour because I didnít want a cluster of flour in my eggs. So, I used a basting brush. Mind you, I used floury eggs the first time and it was wonderful. I guess it just depends on you. Finally, you cover it with all that good cheese and stuff. Press each side of the chicken lightly on the breadcrumb parmesan mix and repeat all steps until every chicken is looking delicious. STOP! I know it looks good, but donít eat it yet! Itís still raw, remember? Add a tablespoon of butter and a tablespoon of oil to a large saucepan and cook your chicken 2-3 minutes on each side. I like mine extra crispy so I cook it an additional minute on each side. Now, crispy chicken is great and all but it may be a tad dry. So, what do we do to dry chicken? We make a sauce! Here is the recipe for creamy dill sauce. Now, I didnít know where my recipe card was, so I'm doing this off the top of my memory.

Creamy Dill Sauce:

ĺ cup chicken broth
1 tablespoon flour
Ĺ sour cream
2 table spoons dillweed
(I made mine with fresh dillweed but dry will work fine)

Now, I'm big on sauce so I double the recipe whenever I make this. Feel free to do so as well.

First, put your broth in your skillet(if you want you can use the same pan you used to fry your chicken. Some think it adds to the flavor). Then, seperatley stir your flour and dill in your sour cream. Add your sour cream mix into your broth and cook on low heat till thick and bubbly(I love that word). Cook an additional 1-2 minutes and serve with your chicken! Viola!

Lemon Vinaigrette

If youíd rather try the lemon sauce, here is the recipe:

1/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice (2 lemons)
1/2 cup good olive oil
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

In a small bowl, whisk all this stuff togetherÖthatís it. Really.

Homemade Herb Breadcrumbs:

This recipe is for about four cups, so youíll have extra.

3 cups bread crumbs toasted (if you donít know how to toast bread crumbs itís super simple. Put your desired amount of slices into a blender and blend till they are crumbs. Melt about 2tbsps of butter in a skillet and sautť your crumbs until they are golden brown. I cook them on medium low heat)
2 TBSP chopped Italian Parsley(or just normal parsley)
1 TBSP chopped rosemary
1 TBSP chopped oregano

1 TBSP chopped basil
2 TBSP olive oil(I use normal oil, not extra virgin.)
1 TSP salt
Ĺ TSP pepper

Now, the first time I made this recipe it told me to mix everything but the oil in a robot coupe. And, I was completely confused. Just use a food processor, or even a blender. The original recipe said to blend until green and then slowly add olive oil. If your herbs and stuff doesnít look green, just blend until itís well mixed and then add the olive oil slowly. Now you have fresh breadcrumbs for your chicken! And donít be afraid to mix it up a bit. Iíve but garlic, mint, tarragon, and thyme in my breadcrumbs before for different combos. I prefer to store the extra in a clear, glass container. You can put it in whatever you want.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fantasy Freaks Forum Forum Index -> Yummy in my Tummy All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: