The time now is Mon Dec 17, 2018 1:17 pm
View unanswered posts
Aliens and Religion
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fantasy Freaks Forum Forum Index -> Hot Hot Hot
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tales of Kadakinna

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 11:26 am
Post subject:

I personally don't believe in aliens. That doesn't mean I'm crazy or big headed, it's just my own personal belief. I don't know that I am right, and I'm not going to try to tell you that I am, but it's my choice to think how I want.

As far as religion, I am a devout Christian. I believe in free will, and that everyone should have the choice to believe how they want. I am not, however, close minded and think that all Christians are perfect and have always treated everyone fairly. What happened to the Native Americans was wrong. I have a hard time calling that true Christianity. I totally agree with what avijit said
Quote:

It is acceptable to have religious beliefs, but if you use religion to deceive people, then you are committing a crime.

Not all missionaries were/are like those "Christians" who took advantage of culture like the Native Americans. There are some groups who simply go and tell people about Christ and let them make their own decision.

P.S. I am not going to get all offended if anyone disagrees with me. Like I already said, I truly believe in freedom of speech and choice.
ThrillKillBill

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 2:25 pm
Post subject:

With hundreds of solar systems in any given galaxy and atleast millions of galaxies in the ever expanding universe...... I think its extreme arrogance to believe that earth alone is the only planet to could possibly have spawned intelligent life. That said, I still remain skeptical that alien lifeform visit Earth on a regular basis just to abduct some random joe. (When you consider all the health implications involved in prolonged travel in outer space.

Ya born alone
Ya die alone
And still we live on
Yesterday is a memory
Tomorrow is a vision
But today
it's a b*tch
Yesterday is a memory
Tomorrow is a vision
But today
it's a b*tch
TamAlthor
The Zeppo

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 5:33 pm
Post subject:

Tales of Kadakinna wrote:

Not all missionaries were/are like those "Christians" who took advantage of culture like the Native Americans. There are some groups who simply go and tell people about Christ and let them make their own decision.

I agree, however, I wish more missionaries were laid back like that though. This was my aim when I was a missionary. Maybe it was becase I was a little bit older than the other missionaries when I went, but i found many of my peers were waaaay too gung ho about what people have to believe and the 'consequences' of what one believes. Thankfully it wasn't a majority.

As for aliens, I think they must exist. Wether that means just a bunch of bacteria or more 'advance' creatures such as ourselves...who knows.

If more advance than I'm sure they have similar debates about religion and what not.

I would love to see a meeting between religous leaders of alien worlds:

"My God could beat up your god!"

Hmm i wonder if anal probs are a part of alien religon? kind of like burn offerings...only not so much burned,

"The truth is that our finest moments are most likely to occur when we are feeling deeply..unhappy, or unfulfilled. For it is only in such moments..we are likely to step out of our ruts and start searching for different ways or truer answers
-M. S. Peck
Dudde
The Monster at the end of this Post

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 7:38 pm
Post subject:

Quote:
I still remain skeptical that alien lifeform visit Earth on a regular basis just to abduct some random joe. (When you consider all the health implications involved in prolonged travel in outer space.

I doubt a society that would find us and visit regularly would have many health concerns in space travel - there aren't really many dangers if you take the right measures.

I think it far more likely that they wouldn't visit us simply because it would be immensely expensive for such a fruitless trip - if they needed resources, there are millions of planets in the universe to pull from, and if they wanted diplomacy...watching us for a few days would surely turn them back. =D
ThrillKillBill

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 9:04 pm
Post subject:

Dudde wrote:

I doubt a society that would find us and visit regularly would have many health concerns in space travel - there aren't really many dangers if you take the right measures.

All this below is just considering travel from earth to mars, within our own solar system and our own galaxy. We still can't even imagine what would be involved in tran-galaxy exploration. I'm sure I could find more problems if I searched harder but this gives a good idea. I've also heard 0-gravity weakens the bones causes breaks more prevalent.

Quote:
there are significant differences between exploring Earth and exploring space. First and foremost, space is an unforgiving environment that does not tolerate human errors or technical failure. For humans leaving Earth's orbit for extended periods, there are even more dangers. One is the near absence of gravity in space; the presence of high-energy, ionizing cosmic ray (HZE) nuclei is another. Because both zero gravity and cosmic rays would have severe health implications for astronauts on a Mars-bound spaceship, we first need to investigate their effects on cells, tissues and our hormonal and immune systems. However, although we are able to produce HZE nuclei on Earth and study their effects on biological material, we cannot simulate extended periods of low gravity and their additive effects on cells and tissues. Thus, the International Space Station (ISS) will have an enormously important role in assessing the health dangers for humans in space and in the development of potential countermeasures.

There is much information on the adaptation of astronauts to zero gravity (0g) in space and on their return to 1g on Earth. Nevertheless, our understanding of these effects is not complete; nor have countermeasures to mitigate them been identified.

Observations of astronauts travelling on the Space Shuttle and Russian cosmonauts' long-term visits to the Mir space station indicate that time spent in 0g has serious effects on bone and muscle physiology and the cardiovascular system. For instance, the return from 0g to 1g leads to an inability to maintain an appropriate blood pressure when in an upright position—orthostatic intolerance—and insufficient blood flow to the brain. Astronauts returning from orbit therefore have to rest for several minutes, and the time needed to normalize their blood pressure increases with the time spent in 0g. This could mean that astronauts travelling to Mars—which would take at least one year in 0g—would need considerable time to readapt to gravity after landing there or after their return to Earth, unless we find a technological solution to the creation of artificial gravity on a spaceship. Moreover, there are other cardiovascular effects, such as cardiac arrhythmia and atrophy, that need to be studied in more detail before we can ensure the safety of astronauts on a Mars mission. Other effects of extended time in low gravity are loss of bone mass and muscle deterioration. Without adequate countermeasures, these could impair the ability of astronauts to perform necessary functions on a spacecraft or on the surface of Mars.

The second main danger for human travellers is the presence of the aforementioned HZE nuclei in cosmic rays, because of the ionizing effect that they exert on atoms or molecules. Although they do not reach the Earth's surface because they are either absorbed by the atmosphere or deflected by Earth's magnetic field, there are already some experimental data on the cancer-inducing properties of electrons, neutrons and protons in cosmic rays and other potential deleterious effects on biological material from numerous Earth-based experiments on laboratory animals. In addition, studies of the effects of the atomic bombs dropped on Japan in 1945 pro-vided further data about the health dangers of radiation and high-energy nuclei.

However, cosmic rays are quite different from nuclear explosions because they include considerably higher numbers of HZE nuclei—leftovers from collapsing stars and supernova explosions that were thrown into space. Curtis & Letaw (1989) estimated that on a three-year Mars mission, about 30% of cells in the body will be traversed by HZE nuclei with Z values—the number of protons—between 10 and 28, and that virtually all cells will be traversed by nuclei with Z values between 3 and 9. These traversals result in numerous ionizing events, or hits, on cellular molecules. The biological effects of HZE nuclei on cancer induction, the central nervous system, the immune system and the eyes are not well known, nor have the interaction of radiation effects at 0g been studied. Consequently we need to conduct many more experiments on Earth as well as on the ISS before the health and safety of astronauts travelling to Mars and beyond can be assured.

Ya born alone
Ya die alone
And still we live on
Yesterday is a memory
Tomorrow is a vision
But today
it's a b*tch
Yesterday is a memory
Tomorrow is a vision
But today
it's a b*tch
TamAlthor
The Zeppo

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 10:09 am
Post subject:

I think the idea behind advanced life exploring the univerise and what not most likely implies a race that is phyiologicially designed diffternt than us in such a way so as to have less issues with the riggers of space. And/or have advanced enough technogicially to meet the challenges above.
"The truth is that our finest moments are most likely to occur when we are feeling deeply..unhappy, or unfulfilled. For it is only in such moments..we are likely to step out of our ruts and start searching for different ways or truer answers
-M. S. Peck
ThrillKillBill

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 12:14 pm
Post subject:

That is a possibility tam but until there is a actual meeting between said "advance" space-faring race and ourselves its all sci-fi and speculation. Were-as the facts remain that humans cannot spend extended periods of time in space without serious health repressions. We are bound to this planet until we advance exponentially, which won't happen as long as we wastes billions (trillions) on ridicules territorial and religious wars.

If there is a advanced race out there already exploring the different galaxies, I for one think they'd observe us for a short while and then consider us a waste of time for diplomatic issues, seeing as we can't even be civilized with our own kind.

Do you think (if your religious anyway) that God initially made us creatures of gravity merely to prevent us from spreading our violent ways beyond our planet?

Ya born alone
Ya die alone
And still we live on
Yesterday is a memory
Tomorrow is a vision
But today
it's a b*tch
Yesterday is a memory
Tomorrow is a vision
But today
it's a b*tch
TamAlthor
The Zeppo

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 1:04 pm
Post subject:

ThrillKillBill wrote:
That is a possibility tam but until there is a actual meeting between said "advance" space-faring race and ourselves its all sci-fi and speculation. Were-as the facts remain that humans cannot spend extended periods of time in space without serious health repressions. We are bound to this planet until we advance exponentially, which won't happen as long as we wastes billions (trillions) on ridicules territorial and religious wars.

If there is a advanced race out there already exploring the different galaxies, I for one think they'd observe us for a short while and then consider us a waste of time for diplomatic issues, seeing as we can't even be civilized with our own kind.

I am right there with you on these points, I couldn't really care less if there are actually aliens. Far too much going on here.

fun to speculate though :)

-M. S. Peck
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fantasy Freaks Forum Forum Index -> Hot Hot Hot All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: