The time now is Mon Dec 17, 2018 12:24 pm
View unanswered posts
Aliens and Religion
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fantasy Freaks Forum Forum Index -> Hot Hot Hot
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Big Bubba
Slayer of Unreads

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 1:14 pm
Post subject: Aliens and Religion

I came across author John C. Wright's Livejournal a while ago and put him on my friends list since it looked like he updated it a lot. After reading it for a couple of days I came to the conclusion that his contact with reality is intermittent at best, but today I was nodding and laughing out loud to his comment in this entry.
Caleyna
Queen of Silliness

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 1:42 pm
Post subject:

Wow. That guy he is quoting is totally unbelievable. I think we've found a close-minded Christian. Maybe he was homeschooled and didn't study history.

Anyway, I guess they are assuming First Contact will be us going out into space and finding aliens because if aliens land on Earth it's a pretty sure bet they will be changing our culture and wiping out our religion, not the other way around.
Mofox

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 9:42 am
Post subject:

My housemate says his gnuis is a direct quote from the Simpsons.
Hachiko
Thread Killer

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 12:21 pm
Post subject:

Caleyna wrote:
... they will be changing our culture and wiping out our religion, not the other way around.

I can imagine it now, the Grand Insect Overlord of Gamma Quadrant 9 striking a Napoleonic pose on the bow of his mothership, declaring "Mission Accomplished" in his alien tongue, and yet still fighting to defeat Islam 5 years later. :D
TamAlthor
The Zeppo

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 2:56 pm
Post subject:

I only have one word to say

"Marklar"

That is all

"The truth is that our finest moments are most likely to occur when we are feeling deeply..unhappy, or unfulfilled. For it is only in such moments..we are likely to step out of our ruts and start searching for different ways or truer answers
-M. S. Peck
LunaRaven

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 10:20 pm
Post subject:

Prepare to be assimilated.
Jade
Seven of Jade

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 1:21 pm
Post subject:

*lmao@Hachiko*

Jade
Patrick
Sleepless Sonneteer

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 2:54 am
Post subject:

All I'm gonna say is that many of my fellow Catholics, including the head of the Vatican Observatory, believe that, statistically speaking, extraterrestrial life (including intelligent life) probably does exist, and if so, such existence in no way contradicts the faith. I love how the Vatican and even recent Popes shoot the whole Science Vs. Faith Has To Be A Huge Nasty Dichotomy thing in the back. With a pistol designed by Michaelangelo.

Cause we're cool like that. Except for the traditionalists. They're not very cool.

On a mountain of skulls in a castle of pain, I sat on a throne of blood. What was will be, what is will be no more. Now is the season of evil!
Chinaren

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 6:06 am
Post subject:

I'm a 'devout' athiest, and it always amuses me when religious types pray and quote stuff from their particular beliefs. Still, I do believe that people should have the right to believe whatever they want, as long as it doesn't negatively affect me or mine.

I wonder. what would you bible/other religious book bashers say if aliens landed and said (and proved) that they seeded life (including humans) on earth and demanded to be worshipped. That they, effectively, were 'god'.

I'm sure some people would.

Incidentally, I find this scenario a more likely one than there being a 'god' as defined by religion(s). Maybe 'god' was an alien, drunk and having a larf with the primitives. He (it) probably went back up and giggled about it with his mates before going back to work as a comet cleaner.
Xinpheld
Bird Man of Alka-Seltzer

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 3:30 pm
Post subject:

Residents of Earth:

This is Ambassador Bludge of the planet Klaarg. I was assigned to your planet, Earth, recently, in order to make official first contact wiith your civilization(s), and to clear up a rather embarassing matter involving your pre-history.

It seems that a scout ship was surveying the area about 15,000 years ago (Earth-Sol orbit time), and the ship - against regulations, mind you - landed on your world and, though a series of wacky mishaps and misunderstandings, inadvernetly became your planet's early gods. Thus, most of your current religions are based on retellings of this incedent, with its original premise distorted through time, like a game of yours called 'telephone'.

Sorry about that. I hope you can bring yourselves around to forgiving us for that little snafu and make the transition to becoming our willing slaves as quickly and painlessly as possible.

Sincerely,

Ambassador Bludge
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Mofox

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 12:31 pm
Post subject:

Xinpheld wrote:
Residents of Earth:

This is Ambassador Bludge of the planet Klaarg. I was assigned to your planet, Earth, recently, in order to make official first contact wiith your civilization(s), and to clear up a rather embarassing matter involving your pre-history.

It seems that a scout ship was surveying the area about 15,000 years ago (Earth-Sol orbit time), and the ship - against regulations, mind you - landed on your world and, though a series of wacky mishaps and misunderstandings, inadvernetly became your planet's early gods. Thus, most of your current religions are based on retellings of this incedent, with its original premise distorted through time, like a game of yours called 'telephone'.

Sorry about that. I hope you can bring yourselves around to forgiving us for that little snafu and make the transition to becoming our willing slaves as quickly and painlessly as possible.

Sincerely,

Ambassador Bludge

*laughs coffee everywhere*
Skarla

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 11:19 am
Post subject:

They're probably stealth-cloaked in orbit right now surfing the internet and laughing.

Knowledge is power and power corrupts. Study hard: be evil!
Ra'ena

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 6:23 am
Post subject:

I think intelligent aliens are smart enough to stay away from earth. After all we'll destroy our planet in due time, aliens or no aliens.

Besides would you travel thousands of years to see some planet full of monkeys that haven't even found away to travel outside there own starsystem?
TamAlthor
The Zeppo

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 10:23 am
Post subject:

Maybe watching earth for an Alien is comparable to us watchin' Jerry Springer, or cow tipping?
"The truth is that our finest moments are most likely to occur when we are feeling deeply..unhappy, or unfulfilled. For it is only in such moments..we are likely to step out of our ruts and start searching for different ways or truer answers
-M. S. Peck
avijit

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 2:26 pm
Post subject:

It is acceptable to have religious beliefs, but if you use religion to deceive people, then you are committing a crime. This is what Jim Bakker was sent to jail for.

Likewise, it is acceptable to believe in aliens from other planets, but if you are promoting a belief in aliens in order to cover up crimes or make money, you are a criminal, a con artist, a swindler.

In this document I explain:

# The belief in aliens has striking similarities to conventional religions.

# Just as people of different religions look down on one another for having a false religion, many people who believe in aliens look down on religious people.

# People should climb down from their pedestal, stop ridiculing people with different beliefs, and start looking for evidence for their own beliefs.

channel marketing
Circuit Board
fluke13

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 3:16 am
Post subject:

wow, I didnt realise there were people out there who dont believe aliens exist... its seems pretty silly to me. What would be the point in having a world this huge, if there was only life on one lil planet. I think there is or was at least one living planet per solar system.

Now for religion, lol, everybody believes different things, if your beliefs are totally your own, then you would expect a pretty large mix in what religion people believe in, or people who jus say i believe this (not specifically everything under one religion), but instead you get whole families, or whole communities believing in the same thing... remarkable coincidence, or not a totally free choice?

(everything you hear, can be wrong (incl. my thoughts), even 'experts' can be wrong, and ppl shud beleive what ever they choose to)

In my opinion, a perfect world only needs one rule...
'everybody has the right to do anything they like'
that way ppl are free to do what ever they want, as long as it doesnt stop someone else doing what they want.
shadowsprite

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 7:43 pm
Post subject:

me personally, im religous as i believe in the hindu teachings and god, but i also believe in aliens, i think someone would be crazy not to tbh, the idea of the millions of universes and us being the only intelegent liform is just simply being extreemly big headed.

and even though i have my faith and believe system, i wouldent for a secound say someone elses is wrong, what i believe in is right for me and it will take me where i need to go and vice versa for everybody else with any view they have.

we have the capability to believe and except all sorts of ways of thinking, the world and space and so on is so huge that our little minds cant even concieve the possibilities out there, so i find it better to keep an open mind and except all :) xx
Prusillus

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 3:57 pm
Post subject:

Mofox wrote:
My housemate says his gnuis is a direct quote from the Simpsons.

Yeah, it's Kent Brockman from the ep. when Homer goes into space and the ant farm gets loose in the space shuttle.
Window Bar

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 1:07 am
Post subject: Aliens & God

The notion that we'd contaminate and destroy alien cultures with our missionary position is laughable. A random alien intelligence would be extremely unlikely to be able to communicate with us at all on a peer-to-peer basis--we might not even recognize it as an intelligence. It likely would not recognize us as one either.

Consider something like the H1N1 virus. If a "group mind" comprised of nano-creatures arrived here, we'd simply start vaccinating ourselves and wearing sneeze masks in the airport. We sure wouldn't sing "Jesus Wants Me For A Sunbeam" to them.

On the other end of the scale, what if a transparent creature comprised mostly of energy and measuring roughly the size of West Virginia showed up? Would we teach it the Lord's Prayer? Would it listen?
TamAlthor
The Zeppo

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 9:03 am
Post subject:

hmmm me thinks that many would pray to it......same question though would it listen? Would it ask us to move to South America and drink Kool Aid?

If I were it I would would act all benevolent and 5h1t, until I gained a sufficent following and then I would tell my people that it was time became one with each other, absourb them at which time I would become too powerful to be overcome by conventional weapons. Then on to the rest of the world.

Do you smell that? A sweet odour like honey!

-M. S. Peck
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fantasy Freaks Forum Forum Index -> Hot Hot Hot All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: