The time now is Mon Nov 18, 2019 3:41 am
View unanswered posts
The Deverry cycle

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alessan

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 3:28 am
Post subject: The Deverry cycle

Some of you may be aware of my desire for an American wife and, I must confess, one of the driving forces behind this desire is... Book shelf space. No, hear me out. Living in England has some advantages (Give me awhile and I will try and think of one) but one of the worst disadvantages is lack of space. This is a very small island about the size of a large American state but its got about 60 million people crammed in. Not a problem if you are a wealthy Norman land owner but not so good for a poor Anglo-saxon/ Irish celt wretch such as I.

My house is about the same size as the average American car and this results in limited book shelf space. If we then consider that I have been collecting books ( and also music cd,s ) since the late seventies ( God that makes me sound old ) you can see that I have developed some major storage issues. I have considered Kindle but, as a confirmed Luddite, this is really not an option. So, every few years I have to clear some space by putting older books in plastic containers to be stored in the loft ( Not a large American walk in attic just a good old fashioned English hole in the ceiling to crawl through into a small area of roof space ) Once in awhile I drag them down and have a look to see if there is anything worth reading again and I have just found the first eight books of the Deverry series which, to be honest, I had forgotten all about. A wave of fond memories washed over me as I recalled reading and very much enjoying the books. A quick google later and I discover that there are more books in the series and, well, my question is... Is it worth buying the new books and reading the entire series again? Phew... Brevity was never my speciality.
Alle
The First Evil

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 12:11 pm
Post subject:

I had purchased the first book in this series and had it sitting in my To Be Read stack for ages before reading and was disappointed, so put the series out of my mind. A year or so later, Bug Bubba badgered me to read the second one, which I did, and I fell hard for this series. I really ended up loving it, especially the last 4 or so books. Like anything, give it a shot. However, the first book is the weakest in my opinion, so if you really want to give the series a fair shot, you need to read the second one, even if the first wasn't what you were hoping. If Bubba sees this post, he will chime in for sure, as this is one of his favorite series.
Alessan

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 1:37 pm
Post subject:

Alle wrote:
I had purchased the first book in this series and had it sitting in my To Be Read stack for ages before reading and was disappointed, so put the series out of my mind. A year or so later, Bug Bubba badgered me to read the second one, which I did, and I fell hard for this series. I really ended up loving it, especially the last 4 or so books. Like anything, give it a shot. However, the first book is the weakest in my opinion, so if you really want to give the series a fair shot, you need to read the second one, even if the first wasn't what you were hoping. If Bubba sees this post, he will chime in for sure, as this is one of his favorite series.

It must be getting on for twenty years (jeez, doesn't time fly ) since I read the books but I did get to number eight and I seem to recall enjoying them which leaves me wondering why I never continued with the series. I have a vague recollection that it was originally an eight book series which she decided to extend and I just never picked up on it again but I am probably wrong on that. Maybe, Bubba can shed some light on that for me.
I think I may start the first eight again before actually purchasing the rest of the series as my tastes have definitely changed with age. I am a bit more cynical nowadays and tend to struggle with the more traditional type of fantasy which I loved as a younger man. Nowadays I seem to prefer the gritty realism of Martin and Abercrombie.
Alle
The First Evil

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 3:36 pm
Post subject:

In that case, finish them! lol It keeps getting better, imo.

I always found this site to be helpful too, especially for refreshing your memory:

http://www.deverry.com/

Since it has been so long, I would reread the first 8 and then continue on.

Also, get a kindle. ;-p Storage is no longer an issue...well except for the ton of books I bought prior to the kindle. If you DO find an American wife, make sure she doesn't live in Hawaii, where space is a limited, unless she is very rich. lol
Big Bubba
Slayer of Unreads

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 7:47 pm
Post subject:

Well, I'm always up for a lovely little Deverry discussion, but first I'd like to add for the record that I am NOT a bug, Ali-evil!

Anyway, I got into the series when the eighth book had been published. What size the series originally was intended to be is kind of murky (I read somewhere that the first piece of Deverry ever written, which is now one of the sections in book 6, was originally intended to be a stand alone short story). It is certain that it "grew in the telling", but Kerr definitely had a plan beyond book 8 long before it was written. If you do pick up the series again and make it to the end, you will see what I mean.

The 3-year break between books 8 and 9 was at least in part due to Kerr working on other books. Once she got back to Deverry her intention was to finish it in four more books, but if you count how many books were eventually released you can see how well that panned out - fully on par with GRRM and Robert Jordan. On the topic of breaks, there is a long gap in release dates between books 11 and 12, this time due to health issues. (Additionally, Kerr's US publisher dropped her and she had to find a new one.)

Now the series is most definitely finished (though Kerr has mentioned once or twice the possibility for sequels set several centuries after the events in the Deverry Cycle).

My personal favorites among the books are probably 4,5,6, 9 and 13, though I love them all like Kim Kardashian loves attention. If this has whet your reading appetite, I would recommend that you re-read the eight books you have (they are fast reads) and if things click, continue with the rest to see the end of the overall story arch.

Happy reading!

Alle
The First Evil

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 12:31 am
Post subject:

Big Bubba wrote:
Well, I'm always up for a lovely little Deverry discussion, but first I'd like to add for the record that I am NOT a bug, Ali-evil!

oops! lol it was a typo!
Alessan

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 3:15 am
Post subject:

Thanks, Bubba. I think I will definitely read the books I already own and take it from there. I have already checked on Amazon UK and all of the remaining books are available ( not to mention reasonably priced ) so I have no excuses. I have got a couple of books sitting on the shelf to read first ( Historical fiction so I wont go into detail ) and, of course, I have still yet to finish The Republic of Thieves.

I will let you know how I get on.
Big Bubba
Slayer of Unreads

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:37 am
Post subject:

So many books, so little time... :-)
Alessan

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 2:38 pm
Post subject:

Big Bubba wrote:
So many books, so little time... :-)

That is the very reason why I hate giving up on a book before the end. Reading time is way too precious to waste.
Alle
The First Evil

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 1:20 am
Post subject:

ooooh, which Historical Fiction? Have you ever heard of or read anything by Dorothy Dunnett? Her Lymond Chronicles are some of my favorite books ever.
Jade
Seven of Jade

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 5:19 am
Post subject:

I think I read the first couple Deverry, like .... 15 years ago now??? ..... so maybe one day I'll have to go reread and get through the whole series.

On the topic of storage space, and bookshelves, and marrying foreigners... yes, well, there's lots more space in most N.American homes. And I've got plenty here in Berlin too.

But having just moved from N.America to Berlin, and having had to leave behind my book collection.... o_O (not to mention my high school book collection, which is at my Mom's in Canada, probably for all eternity, or until I settle down in one location, whichever happens first!)

Anyway, point is, I had a bookshelf full of books, and I gave them all away to a friend. And I think it broke my heart a little. So from now on, it's Kindle Kindle Kindle.

It's not exactly the same as having real books, and I think their pricing model is sort of ridiculous.... But there are a lot of advantages to the Kindle too. I just love traveling with it! (and I want the Paperwhite, some time in the future)

By the way, if you're looking for an arranged marriage, I can offer you a USA-Canada-Australia trifecta :-D And you could give me UK? But the UK is thinking about leaving the EU, so that becomes a significantly less worthy deal, haha.... ;-)

Jade

Lannie
Colonel Chatterbox

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 12:39 am
Post subject:

Chiming in late but completely agreeing that Deverry is a series worth the read. Although I'm a North American with a house, we have rules about book space. I am allowed two full sized bookshelves. If I want to keep a new book, an old one must be set free. I have a kindle, but that's not for favourites. A kindle just lacks the beautiful feel of a new book, especially considering my favourite place to read is the bath. Deverry is one of the series allotted book space - and it gets a lot!

What other books are in your TBR? I have derailed completely from fantasy/sci fi the last few weeks and am obsessed with fictional and non-fiction books about World War II. At some point, I'm going to need a fantasy break from these serious books.
Excalibur

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 11:17 am
Post subject:

Im from the USA and proud of it. I live on 5 acres that's paid off that I own, and get all the bookspace in the world I need. When I need some more space for a book I just go chop down a tree and make a book shelf out of it. Its nitty gritty out here and that's how I live life that's why I read fantasy because my life is very hardcore. You got to know how to live off the land out here and earn your keep and live off the land. Its not for the lighthearted at all. Lucky I was in the US army and it taught me everything I know today and how to defend myself. Theres cougars, bears, wolves, and sometimes wild savages sneak up on the land so you gotta know how to protect yourself. Just lost a good friend of mine to one of the wild savages a few weeks ago. That's why I cant get into this gritty realism fantasy cause its to mundane for me cause im already living it. I need to read something that is a change of pace. I love these epic light hearted fantasies with a good ending cause I aint seen one yet but yearn for the day. Finally got enough time last night to read a couple chapters out of name of the wind cause I got all my work done early. Hunting the wild boar, fishing in the ol mighty rapids, fixing some fence to keep the wolves out hopefully, rooting up some taters, helping the ol lady skin a deer, and tilling up some soil among other things. Oh my what a day its been.
Alessan

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 1:53 pm
Post subject:

Alle wrote:
ooooh, which Historical Fiction? Have you ever heard of or read anything by Dorothy Dunnett? Her Lymond Chronicles are some of my favorite books ever.

Never read any Dunnett but I intend to in the future. The books I refer to are Stormbird by Conn Iggulden and The Pagan Lord by Bernard Cornwell. Stormbird is the first book in a new trilogy set during The War of the Roses and I am really looking forward to reading it!
Alessan

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 2:02 pm
Post subject:

Lannie wrote:
Chiming in late but completely agreeing that Deverry is a series worth the read. Although I'm a North American with a house, we have rules about book space. I am allowed two full sized bookshelves. If I want to keep a new book, an old one must be set free. I have a kindle, but that's not for favourites. A kindle just lacks the beautiful feel of a new book, especially considering my favourite place to read is the bath. Deverry is one of the series allotted book space - and it gets a lot!

What other books are in your TBR? I have derailed completely from fantasy/sci fi the last few weeks and am obsessed with fictional and non-fiction books about World War II. At some point, I'm going to need a fantasy break from these serious books.

I have tried to set old books free but the damn things just keep coming back.
Alessan

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 2:08 pm
Post subject:

Jade wrote:
I think I read the first couple Deverry, like .... 15 years ago now??? ..... so maybe one day I'll have to go reread and get through the whole series.

On the topic of storage space, and bookshelves, and marrying foreigners... yes, well, there's lots more space in most N.American homes. And I've got plenty here in Berlin too.

But having just moved from N.America to Berlin, and having had to leave behind my book collection.... o_O (not to mention my high school book collection, which is at my Mom's in Canada, probably for all eternity, or until I settle down in one location, whichever happens first!)

Anyway, point is, I had a bookshelf full of books, and I gave them all away to a friend. And I think it broke my heart a little. So from now on, it's Kindle Kindle Kindle.

It's not exactly the same as having real books, and I think their pricing model is sort of ridiculous.... But there are a lot of advantages to the Kindle too. I just love traveling with it! (and I want the Paperwhite, some time in the future)

By the way, if you're looking for an arranged marriage, I can offer you a USA-Canada-Australia trifecta :-D And you could give me UK? But the UK is thinking about leaving the EU, so that becomes a significantly less worthy deal, haha.... ;-)

Jade

The sooner we leave the Eu the better. I am not against it in principle but it is a corrupt organisation that wastes money like there is no tomorrow.
Alle
The First Evil

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 11:35 pm
Post subject:

Jade wrote:

Jade

Show-off! lol

I have read some Bernard Cornwell (not the one you mention though) and he is usually quite good! Never heard of the other...must go look it up!
Excalibur

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 11:01 am
Post subject:

seems like everyones read the deverry cycle in here but me. I might have to check it out. everyone seems to really like it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fantasy Freaks Forum Forum Index -> Bookish All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: