The time now is Mon Jun 18, 2018 8:40 am
View unanswered posts
What to read in 2014?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Caleyna
Queen of Silliness

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 7:13 pm
Post subject: What to read in 2014?

I had a pretty good reading year in 2013, which was made possible by a complete lack of reading for several years.

So what to read next? I'm looking through old Best of fantasy lists to try to come up with some contenders.

I'll start Brent Weeks Lightbringer trilogy after the last book comes out in August. I enjoyed his Night Angel triology so am looking forward to this one.

The Passage by Justin Cronin--not something I would normally read, but I keep hearing really great things about it so I'll give it a go.

After that, it is just a matter of downloading some samples on my Kindle and see what strikes my fancy. In no particular order, I'm going to try:

The Warded Man by Peter Brett.

The Hundred-Thousand Kingdoms by N.K. Jemisin

The Adamantine Palace by Stephen Deas

Spellwright by Blake Charlton

The Way of Kings by Brandon Sanderson

Of course, I also have some familiar authors that I'll want to catch up with.
I believe C S Friedman, Carol Berg, Lynn Flewlling and Robin Hobb all have books coming out in the upcoming year (at least I hope I am right on the Carol Berg book! I know she is working on a duology).
DragonQueen
Defying time with hair dye

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 2:13 am
Post subject:

I like your list - thanks for sharing. I've been looking for new book ideas too. I have to say I really liked the Way of Kings and the next book in that series is due out in March as well. If you find any other juicy suggestions send 'em my way. Happy reading and (almost) Merry Christmas!
Excalibur

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 2:37 pm
Post subject:

that's a good list. I got the hundred thousand kingdoms book but its collecting dust on the shelf. the author looked really hot so I figured I might give it a go and see what all the fuss is about. theres prince of thorns that's popular now and the red knight. those manly man books are all the rage nowadays. every author has jumped on the manly bandwagon all the way east of the shire. im reading the name of the wind right now but its really slow. not bad at all just not a lot going on. I figure the real tale starts when the chronicler meets up with kvothe but hes taking his sweet time.
Megaret

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 6:47 pm
Post subject: Books to look forward to in 2014?

I was going to make a new post, but I think this fits here too! I also have a bunch of books sitting on my TBR list, but what new books are you waiting for in 2014?

C mentioned Brent Weeks- the third of his Lightbringer books is due out in August. I read the first two and so far like it even more than his Night Angel series (which I did like a lot)

I just read that Joe Abercrombie is coming out with the first of his "YA" trilogy Half a King- some Abercombie fans are worried that since it is "YA" it won't be the same, but I will buy anything this man writes.

Anthony Ryan's second book in the Raven's Song series is coming; Tower Lord. The first book in this series was a self published surprise, it was so popular that it was picked up a real publisher and he got a writing deal out of it. Unfortunately, it delayed the release of this second book even though he finished it a while ago as the publisher re-released the first in more than e-format. I hope that just means less of a wait for the third. I think it is meant to be a trilogy.
Alle
The First Evil

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 6:15 pm
Post subject:

Well, I ended up buying The Passage due to what C said about it plus what some RL friends had said in the past. But prior to buying it I got Quintessence by David Walton, which is a bit different.

From Amazon:

Quintessence is an alt-history with a strong hook. A ship of explorers led by Lord Chelsey has returned to London, and the few survivors babble about a cargo of diamonds and gold while they die. Stephen Parris is a doctor who is so dedicated to his work that he risks execution for the crime of dissecting a human cadaver, and one of his suppliers provides a body from Chelsey’s ship. Imagine his surprise when the body is laced with dust and salt, as though the man had been eating dirt and drinking sea water. Enter Christopher Sinclair, an alchemist of dubious moral stability but possessed of a very good mind. He coerces Parris to join him on an expedition to the West, where he expects to discover the secret of immortality. They’re also hoping to leave behind England’s politics, as the Catholic Mary is in line to inherit the throne after the king dies. The characters are a little too single-minded and stilted on occasion, but the chance to explore a new world where immortality is possible pulls the story along at a fair clip regardless.

I have just started it, and so far, so good. Hopefully, it will stay good and not come off the rails.
Laure

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 3:03 pm
Post subject:

I tried to make this my year to jump back into good ole fantasy. I... guess it wasn't a failure. (I have to admit to being way too distracted writing my own novels). I managed to start Game of Thrones which Jojo sent me eons ago but my husband beat me to (shock of the year). I also picked up Elizabeth Moon's Sheepfarmer's Daughter and went a little fangirl on that one. :) I definitely recommend it if you haven't read it. A lot of the other titles I've been reading are mostly by indie authors. I just finished Heritage Avenged which is the second, actually, in the Enchanted Bookstore series by indie author Marsha A. Moore. I personally loved it. Dragons, wizards, world-hopping, battles what's not to love? :) There's also one I just finished called Aundes Aura by Ryan Sullivan. I'm totally crushing on it and wish he'd get the next book out! He's an Aussie author who's fairly new but I kept thinking the feel of his world reminded me of Game of Thrones (with younger characters). Marsha's I admit to being one of her writing buddies so I've watched this whole series take shape. It's about a woman who's left with a magical inheritance to record the history of a fantastic world in order to defeat an evil dragon taking over. Yes, yes. I heard her plot out the whole thing in the recent past but I never actually read it until she released it. Now having read, I think it's fantastic. :) I'd recommend both if you haven't tried them.

Next on my hit list, after I finish Game of Thrones, will probably be the next in Marsha's Enchanted Bookstore series or the Divided Allegiance by Elizabeth Moon because I really want to get back to that series. Or Brandon Sanderson's Mistborn because, heh. Yes, I've had that on my pile for a while too.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fantasy Freaks Forum Forum Index -> Bookish All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: