The time now is Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:31 pm
View unanswered posts
Books! What's everyone reading these days?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jojo

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 1:16 pm
Post subject: Books! What's everyone reading these days?

Last Monday, I went to Powell's in Portland. I cannot go to Powell's in Portland without getting all nostalgic for this place and these folks here -- while at the same time I marvel at life, because when I was here frequently, and people were talking about the awesomeness of Powell's, I was living in Massachusetts with no designs at all on moving west. How funny life can be! This was only my second trip, and like the first trip to Powell's, I left empty handed, but I left with a list of books I want to read, and with a friend (Tarlianna, if any of you remember her) suggesting more. I'm currently rereading through some Carol Berg books and falling in love again, and I'm looking forward to getting the Joe Abercrombie books from my library, and I'm eyeballing Brent Weeks, too. We are reading through a SoFaI for story-time (I read outloud while Beth works on fiber arts or, when we can get our hands on an audiobook, we both work on fiber arts and listen). Tarli was very excited about the Abercrombie books, and it was like going back in time, to be in a bookstore with her, eyeing all the books. Though, growing up we didn't have anything near as amazing as Powell's. If only.

I know the forum is a lot slower than it used to be, but I thought I'd toss that question out there, and see what other folks are reading. I'm not sure when I lost the excitement of finding new authors, but I have, and I want it back.

For non-rereads, I'm one book into Ted Dekker's (Ted, Jo, not Peter. Different Dekker) Circle quartet and am enjoying it. Waiting for the next book from the library -- the rascal was supposed to return it on the 10th!! -- and have plans to by The Blade Itself next payday. Is it wrong to get a smartphone just so I can read books on it?

Has anyone here read Kate Elliot's Coldfire books? I've been looking at them a lot, but I also remember not really liking her Crown of Stars books, so I dunno. What's on your TBR pile? What have you read recently that you've adored? Lay it on me! :) And I hope everyone is doing well.
Alle
The First Evil

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 1:32 pm
Post subject:

Jojo!!!

I have been on an Urban Fantasy kick for a while now for the most part, although its not a strict UF diet. :-)

I am currently reading The Thinking Woman's Guide to Real Magic by Emily Croy Barker and enjoying it a bit, although the action is pretty sloooow. It is an entertaining read. Its not really a UF, but is set in present day and going to an alternate world book. Other recent reads that I liked or loved are the UF series by MLN Hanover, The Dagger and the Coin epic fantasy series by Daniel Abraham (who IS MLN Hanover, heh), Freda Warrinton's series (the latest is Grail of the Summer Stars), Ben Aaronovitch's Peter Grant series, the series by Mike Shevdon (loved), the Matthew Swift series by Kate Griffin, Mark DelFranco and Kevin Hearne, and the October Daye series by Seanan McGuire.

Good to 'see' you here and of course, on Facebook! *hugs*
Jade
Seven of Jade

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 11:05 am
Post subject:

I'm also kind of an Urban Fantasy addict these days. Actually, Alle, I've just discovered Aaronovitch, and quite enjoyed the first of his Rivers series! (I remembered it as one of your recommendations, I think). Also, a lot of the others that Alle just said are on my recent reading list *lol* But I have some catching up to do...

A lot of my reading is restricted to what I can scrounge up from the library system for my kindle, at the moment, so there's been a fair bit of crap with an occasional gem thrown in.

Just read "The Games", which was surprisingly good - a sci-fi story in the near future, where a major Olympic event is a gladiator tournament between genetically engineered creatures. It managed to deal with some really interesting and controversial science while still telling a really good story. And before that was a kind of horror/post-apocalyptic story The Passage by Justin Cronin, also a really good read.

Great to see you again!!

Jade

Megaret

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 5:11 pm
Post subject:

I just finished The Historian by Elizabeth Kostova and really enjoyed it. Was extremely hard to put down. I am terrible at reviews, but here is what Amazon says (in part):

"Is it possible that the Dracula of myth truly existed-and that he has lived on, century after century, pursuing his own unknowable ends? The answers to these questions cross time and borders, as first the father and then the daughter search for clues, from dusty Ivy League libraries to Istanbul, Budapest, and the depths of Eastern Europe. In city after city, in monasteries and archives, in letters and in secret conversations, the horrible truth emerges about Vlad the Impaler's dark reign-and about a time-defying pact that may have kept his awful work alive down through the ages"

It is mostly history and only some parts supernatural, which I thought was a nice take on a old legend.
Caleyna
Queen of Silliness

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 8:17 pm
Post subject:

Jojo! Good to see you!

I was on a Micheal Connelly kick for a few days, then I read Ocean at the End of the Lane (so good!). Then I cast around for a bit, completely lost. I discovered Carolyn Turgeon, an author who does fairy tale retellings. I can't resist a good fairy tale retelling! I just finished Mermaids, which I really enjoyed. It was focused more on the relationship between the mermaid and the princess. Good stuff, though probably not as magicky as I would have liked. Also, I couldn't fully enjoy the lush descriptions of the ocean since it squicks me out.

I'm currently reading her Fairest of them All, which I'm liking a lot better. I am not sure how she's going to wind it all down. It is currently starring Rapunzel. I have watched Tangled approximately 10384823 times in the past month so it is hard for me to get those characterizations out of my mind. I'm only about 15% into it, so we shall see if I continue to enjoy it.

Speaking of Tangled. . .Erik is so angry that I made him get a haircut. He was planning on growing long hair like Rapunzel and using it like a whip.
Lannie
Colonel Chatterbox

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 6:43 am
Post subject:

Hi! I just finished re-reading Connie Willis' Blackout and All Clear, part of her Oxford Time Travel series. These two books involve historians from 2060 getting trapped in England during World War II. I'm actually on a non-fiction streak right now, reading books about the military - World War II books written by an American marine in the Pacific (which indirectly inspired the re-read), Black Hawk Down: A Story of Modern War, Where Men Win Glory about Pat Tillman and Afghanistan. Currently I'm reading Fiasco: The American Military Adventure in Iraq. Don't know why I'm reading such serious books right now, you think I'd want light fluff right now.
Big Bubba
Slayer of Unreads

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:10 pm
Post subject:

Hejsan svejsan Jojo!

I'm mainly a re-reader these days. I started a re-read of Dresden Files, but had to abandon it three books in when the pressing need to start refreshing myself for the last Thomas Covenant book ever became too great. I'm cutting it short and only re-reading the Last Chronicles, and not going back all the way to the original series, since that would take too much time. Come October 15th, I need to be ready to finish another milestone series of my life when The Last Dark is released. After that, there is only one unfinished series left that I really care about, and that is the Dresden Files. The rest is meh.

Jojo

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 8:29 am
Post subject:

Interesting . . . .there was supposed to be notifications to this thread sent to me. Must check spam folders. Grr. That said:

Alle -- awesome, new names to check out! Thank you! I've picked up and put down the Iron Druid books, but the rest of the names you've listed I don't think I've looked at, at all, so yay! Have you read C.E. Hunter's books at all? I've read the first five of her Walker Papers series, and I loved them. UF, gods poking around where they ought not, etc. There were a lot of overlaps between her story and Briggs' Mercy books, though less with the romance and a tad more with the action.

Jade -- one thing I adore (and worry about, when we finally move) is the library system here in Eugene; it has definitely spoiled me! Between that and our used book store (which, while it has nothing on Powell's, is still many rooms of books and quite nice) I'm not sure what I'll do if Portland ends up being less awesome in free book access. I do love me some post apocalyptica, so I may need to check out Cronin.

Megaret -- I loved the Historian! Have you read A Discovery of Witches? Not exactly the same thing at all, but that series reminded me of The Historian in the story telling, the slow story telling pace, the lushness of the scenes, etc. It's far more supernatural heavy, especially the second book in the series. They both left me with the completely sated by the book I've just read feeling, so in my mind they're linked.

Caly -- I can't even see you reading the new Gaiman book! I'm impressed! I haven't read it yet, but I'm on the hold list at the library. I think I've read that Mermaids book and didn't much like it, but I read a slew of mermaid books a while ago, and I maybe misremembering. THough, it sounds like it, and I do recall that it was the lack of magical and mystical in the book that I didn't really care all that much for. *lol* Erik! An awesome use for long hair, to be sure! You are clearly a *mean* mother. Clearly.

Lannie -- This is the problem with me and non-fiction: it all sounds fascinating! I'm purposefully throwing myself into a fiction kick, because most of my reading lately has felt like studying, and I love studying, but I've lost the joy of reading in the process. Which may be an indication that my nonfiction reading has been a tad on the darker side. There are *happy* stories to be read, out there, right? Somewhere. WWII is a great topic, though I've not really been able to touch it, in my mind, since my grandfather died last year. It's always been too much a part of his identity, in my mind. Which will be a great reason to study it a bit more, later on. Just, not right now.

Mike -- I *still* have not read any of the Covenant books, which is absurd at this point. I definitely think about them, from time to time, because they seem like they'd be right up my alley, and then I forget. I'm happy that the Dresden Files is still going on. I've only gotten to the third book, and this is my second time, too. Only this time I like the series. I, heh. haven't read the last WoT book yet. I think I'm a tad in denial that it's been finished.
Excalibur

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 9:18 pm
Post subject:

just textbooks for now
Jojo

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 9:50 pm
Post subject:

Hey, text books can be their own sort of fun! I've certainly read a decent amount of them in my time, and I've never taken college courses ;o)
Megaret

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 1:57 pm
Post subject:

A Discovery of Witches looks good! Thanks Jo! Added to my list :)
Lannie
Colonel Chatterbox

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 9:29 pm
Post subject:

I liked Discovery of Witches, but the second book not so much. I look forward to Book 3 sometime in 2014 though, because I want to know how the story ends.

Jojo - I understand completely about you not wanting to hear about WWII yet. I think that's one reason I read so much about it - my grandfathers died when I was 15 and 19. I know a little about their experiences, but wish I had the opportunity to know more.
Caleyna
Queen of Silliness

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 6:24 pm
Post subject:

I just finished Turgeon's Fairest of them All, which I liked much, much better than the Mermaid book. It combines Rapunzel and Snow White in a really surprising way and gives the "evil" characters some humane motivations. It does have magic, but a lot of the magic is simply knowing what nature can do for you. I really want to read another book like that, but her other books don't sound quite as compelling to me.
Mulluane Lonewolf
The Old Bat

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 3:05 am
Post subject:

I'm reading Empress: Godspeaker Book 1 by Karen Miller. So far it is seriously dark and the protagonist is a true psychopath. The narrative style is... ummm... lets call it, pretty unique but it grows on you after awhile.

Not a book/series for sensitive souls for sure. Lots of blood sacrifices, war, slavery, profanity, sex and a sadistically cruel god. Not an easy read but fascinating despite, or maybe because of, all its darkness. :evil:

Dragons, Heroes and Wizards
Old Bat's Belfry
Excalibur

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 1:11 pm
Post subject:

anybody ever read the rhapsody trilogy. I read it along time ago but stopped after the trilogy but there is more books that continue on from it. I enjoyed it even though im not into the romance type books it was really good to me at least. Even the romance section pulled a sweetcheeks of my heart. it was like destined romanced fate these two would get together. The plot is just kind of open at the beginning and it starts to tighten as the story is told. Had good mystery and lore to it, you didn't know who the bad guy was till the end unless u figured it out or guessed right earlier. Had some very interesting characters in it. Theres this one guy who was like part spider or something and he could feel the energy in the air and feel peoples heartbeats like miles away and weave like an energy type thing. He was pretty much needed to hunt demons. Im thinking about reading the next ones but its been so long since I read that trilogy that ive pretty much forgot a lot of stuff so it would be hard to clue into the next book as to whats going on. I don't know if I want to start back and read the whole trilogy again :shock: gulp
Jade
Seven of Jade

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 7:16 am
Post subject:

yeah, I read all the Rhapsody books I think... I found them a bit ..... over the top? or something. The characters (Rhapsody, at least) were always a bit too perfect and 2-dimensional. But I kind of enjoyed the books anyway *lol*

Jade

Patrick
Sleepless Sonneteer

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 12:13 pm
Post subject:

Finally finishing up Abbadon's Gate by James S. A. Corey, started reading the first Dresden Files book, and got a first-in-series called A Quest of Heroes by Morgan Rice...we'll see how that goes.

On a mountain of skulls in a castle of pain, I sat on a throne of blood. What was will be, what is will be no more. Now is the season of evil!
Excalibur

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 9:30 am
Post subject:

yeah considering reading the rest of them to see if they find that elusive head demon dude or whatever
Salamander

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 2:16 pm
Post subject:

Currently reading The Dresden Files. I really like this series.
After that I will probably read Republic of Thieves. After that,
I don't know yet...
Mulluane Lonewolf
The Old Bat

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 2:38 am
Post subject:

Excalibur:

I did review the first trilogy, Rhapsody Trilogy: Symphony of Ages, way back when. Might help you out in terms of refreshing your memory.

http://dragonsheroesandwizards.blogspot.com/search/label/Haydon

I never got around to the newer books either :>(

Dragons, Heroes and Wizards
Old Bat's Belfry
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fantasy Freaks Forum Forum Index -> Bookish All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: