The time now is Sat Jul 20, 2019 3:25 pm
View unanswered posts
April 2013 - Spoilers to Page 299

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fantasy Freaks Forum Forum Index -> Book Club
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lannie
Colonel Chatterbox

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 11:04 am
Post subject: April 2013 - Spoilers to Page 299

This thread is for discussion of the book Theft of Swords by Michael J. Sullivan, up to the end of page 299 in my trade paperback copy. (end of chapter 9).
Lannie
Colonel Chatterbox

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:14 am
Post subject:

So I haven`t finished this section yet, but wanted to say what I was thinking as I feel asleep.
I can tell what the writer is trying to aim for with Hadrian and Royce`s banter, but it`s just not there yet. It`s almost Seregil from Lynn Flewelling but falls far short.
When Percy Bragga speaks, I`ve started imagining him as Prince Humperdinck from Princess Bride and his cronies as the Count with six fingers. It kinda works as a parody!
Alle
The First Evil

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:15 pm
Post subject:

lol Yes, it does work better if you think of it that way. I am still surprised at all the positive hype this series has gotten from several areas. Maybe it does improve?

The banter doesn't work for me because it seems as if the author is trying to hard plus the characters themselves are not fleshed out at all.

The thing that irritates me most is that we readers don't get to see how the wonder thieves accomplish their feats: they are just there. When they broken into the castle to retrieve the letters, they did explain the hows and whys after the fact, but we have to take it that they are so brilliant that they can do whatever with no knowledge of how it was done....its like the writer doesn't know how to get them there, so they are just there and the reader has to accept it. Bah, not sure if I am making sense now though, lol.
Excalibur

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:58 pm
Post subject:

i dont know why you guys are hating on this book so much. Everybody likes Brent Weeks and he writes very elementary too. He doesnt even have a college education he just started typing up a story. You can tell he has not researched anything of stealth or assassins that the story is centered on. He just started writing and made up whatever about the assassin character that came out of his head. Talk about lazy writing. Yet his books get alot of hype. Maybe because his writing is about assassins which is really a hot topic and a badass of sorts. Dont let me get started on GRRM who is absolutley overrated. Everyone on the bandwagon again there cause its such a mature themed realistic gritty novel and people are just pawns in his book that die off to carry on his plot. He has no compassion for human life. I deal with reality everyday and see the nitty gritty, thats why i like fantasy cause it is an escape into a better world where justice does win. You want these people with challenging prose I dont get cause some of them are so challenging you cant even understand what they are saying like Gregory Keyes Briar King book. He does write a lil easier and doesnt use big words but at least his prose flows and is readable. Yes, it could be a young adult book but how many novels do adults read that are YA nowadays. It has become very popular. You dont need big words and creative sentense structure and similes and metaphors for it to be good. If you guys are too smart for it then read something else or write your own book if it does not stimulate your cerebral cortex enough.
Excalibur

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:02 pm
Post subject:

You can always think in hindsight about what a character should have done to escape a situation or done this. The people could have fought back against WW2 soldiers and won too u would think and it wouldnt have carried out that far. Its just to carry on the plot. Im sure if u think of any other novels you can think of something in hindsight they should have done. blah, blah, blah.
Lannie
Colonel Chatterbox

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:11 am
Post subject:

Hey, Excalibur, this is a book club discussion thread and Alle and I are entitled to our opinions about the book, just as you are entitled to yours. I'm reading this book because I want to take part in the FFF book club. I'm also re-reading the last WOT book and just finished a non-fiction book called the History of Mistresses.

While most of my comments about this book have been negative, my very first post clearly said I was enjoying the book. I still am enjoying it, it's just that I doubt it will be a keeper for me.

So, since this is a discussion thread and I've said some of the things I don't like about the book, tell me some of the things you do like. Do you have a favourite character so far?
Lannie
Colonel Chatterbox

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:15 am
Post subject:

I didn't expect so much action to happen in this section. I thought more of the book would be about Alric getting the throne back, so I didn't realize it would happen so quickly. Very interested to see where the plot goes next then with with empire/church. And the not-human remark by Bragga. Is the royal family part elf too?
Alle
The First Evil

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:20 pm
Post subject:

Excalibur wrote:
i dont know why you guys are hating on this book so much. Everybody likes Brent Weeks and he writes very elementary too. He doesnt even have a college education he just started typing up a story. You can tell he has not researched anything of stealth or assassins that the story is centered on. He just started writing and made up whatever about the assassin character that came out of his head. Talk about lazy writing. Yet his books get alot of hype. Maybe because his writing is about assassins which is really a hot topic and a badass of sorts. Dont let me get started on GRRM who is absolutley overrated. Everyone on the bandwagon again there cause its such a mature themed realistic gritty novel and people are just pawns in his book that die off to carry on his plot. He has no compassion for human life. I deal with reality everyday and see the nitty gritty, thats why i like fantasy cause it is an escape into a better world where justice does win. You want these people with challenging prose I dont get cause some of them are so challenging you cant even understand what they are saying like Gregory Keyes Briar King book. He does write a lil easier and doesnt use big words but at least his prose flows and is readable. Yes, it could be a young adult book but how many novels do adults read that are YA nowadays. It has become very popular. You dont need big words and creative sentense structure and similes and metaphors for it to be good. If you guys are too smart for it then read something else or write your own book if it does not stimulate your cerebral cortex enough.

First of all, I am not 'hating on this book'. I am writing out it's very obvious flaws, but in my posts I still mention that it is a 'fun' book, which it is. I also didn't think highly of the Brent Weeks trilogy, if that matters and was just as surprised that he got so much hype as well. The second series is better, but also not exactly award winning caliber either. lol

Just because I am not loving the book shouldn't make any difference to you, who do like it. It is MY opinion, which is what the forums are here for...discussion, which inevitably includes opinion.

When a book is presented by many as a refreshingly different, inventive and wonderful book, then I expect something more then a run of the mill, ordinary tale that is not very well structured, that has poor to okay dialogue and that has cookie cutter characters. That is what I am finding thus far in this series, so since my expectations were raised, the reality has been disappointing. I don't need gritty reality either...a light hearted fluffy novel is fine, and I include YA too, as long as it is well plotted and written. This for me, has not been well plotted or written, although there is potential.

So I am not going to come on here and post 'wow, this is awesome', because it is not. Is it horrible? No, not at all, but it is somewhere slightly above mediocre for me. Does that mean I think people who like it should have their heads examined? Maybe some of them, but not because they like the book. ;-p

Lannie:; everything gets resolved easily because he doesn't know how to transition the conflict to resolution well...a plotting issue for sure. I am also wanting to know what the 'they are not human' bit means too, and it makes me hopeful that more intricate plot lines may develop further on then what we have so far seen.
Alle
The First Evil

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:24 pm
Post subject:

Lannie wrote:

So, since this is a discussion thread and I've said some of the things I don't like about the book, tell me some of the things you do like. Do you have a favourite character so far?

Exactly: instead of getting miffed because we don't agree with you, discuss what you enjoyed, without posting spoilers of course. :-)
Excalibur

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 4:39 pm
Post subject:

ive read all 3 books awhile ago. i understand everyones entitles to their own opinions. yeah i know its not revolutionary. i think overall its a good book. yeah its not like real creative prose like some authors do. it was a good page turner though and an easy read. i thought the plot story was pretty decent and kept my interest. maybe he got alot of good reviews because alot of people that might have read him are younger or avg readers and not as cultured as people that have been reading the genre a long time. i still like his writing even though he might not be as abstract with tangents or philosophies as to how they view things, there is subtle things i notice in his writing that i can relate to that it seems he draws from life experience. sorry for the outburst on here. it was uncalled for. carry on like nothing happened ok. sorry guys.
Excalibur

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 4:46 pm
Post subject:

anybody read the desert spear, cant think of the authors name or patrick rothfuss. did you like them? a thousand kingdoms also looks good to me. i got to wait till this summer to start really reading a book. sometimes i go to the bookstore and buy a book but i dont have time to read it. i got the name of the wind now. i like brandon sanderson alright but he just gots his first book of that big series hes gonna write and taking forever for the second one so i aint gonna start that one till he gots a couple out at least maybel. the only other i havent read is the alloy of law. i read the first book of brent weeks and it was ok. im not really all about dissing authors. its just seems like he got a lot of hype over his books. i dont know. sorry brent weeks if u read that.
Alle
The First Evil

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 7:04 pm
Post subject:

No worries, Excalibur. I wasn't trying to demean fans of the book in any way, shape or form, nor do I consider myself 'cultured' because I have read a ton of books. I think if I had not read all the superlatives these books had received from several forums, I would be less disappointed. They are fun and light hearted reads, and I hope I can enjoy them as such.

I did read The Painted Man (the first book in Peter Brett's series of which The Desert Spear is the sequel) and I must say that one was a big disappointment for me...more so then Riyria is actually. Where Riyria is fun, tPM tried to be a serious book and did not succeed on any level with me.

The Name of the Wind by Rothfuss I thought was an excellent book. It too, had been highly hyped and I thought it fantastic. The second book was a little less successful for me, as there were a few spots that lagged, but for the most part it was a big favorite. Not sure when the third one comes out, but I am really looking forward to it.

And now, back to Riyria discussion, which is what this thread is for. :-) I wonder when Hadrian's background will get revealed. He is obviously a lot more then he would at first appear. Neither character is old per se, but they both certainly have a lot in their past that I hope gets explained.
Excalibur

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 11:41 am
Post subject:

cool, i got the name of the wind already on my shelf so i probably will give that a go in a couple weeks after this semester is over. No kidding, i was thinking the same thing about hadrian when i read the book. with the excellent sword skills and him not liking to talk about his past. :)
Caleyna
Queen of Silliness

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 7:07 pm
Post subject:

I am slugging through this thing. Seriously reads like something one of my former students would have written. Not completely terrible, but just completely misses the mark when it comes to great writing. He misses so many of the basics of show, don't tell. He doesn't show or tell! I am completely not getting the hype with this book. It desperately needed someone to come along and give the author some critique.

I don't know how much more of it I can take. Unlike Lannie and Allie, I'm not finding it all that enjoyable. It makes me cringe, actually.
Excalibur

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 11:41 pm
Post subject:

Thats how i felt when reading eragorn. very cheesy cliche barebones tolkenisque novel. it can still be tolkien and all if someone can do it well. he was a teenager when he wrote it though and it shows. i havent read his furthur books yet. maybe they mature some. i loved these books though. everybody gots different taste i guess. alot of people did like this books though. u can tell by the reviews. these books were not like a fine wine to swish around your mouth and to enjoy the prose per say. i thought the plot was good, dialogue between characters was real, and not cheesy like some of these novels do with the medieval type talk. there was alot of plot twists. the story really gets alot bigger than just trying to figure out the assassination of a king towards the end. you dont really know who to real enemy is until the last book unless your like a mega genius that can just figure out everything way before i guess. it was a good mystery to me. what books do u like that are so good. i havent read name of the wind yet. ive read some revies though and one thing ive noticed and people write that kvothe has like no flaws whatsoever and is like an expert at everything. i kind of like an antihero myself, someone i can relate too. not a perfectionist. i did read a chapter though and notice that his prose is really good. maybe thats why he takes forever to come out with a book. right now im watching the game of thrones. i got seasons 1 and 2 someone gave me on dvd. ive watched the first 2 episodes and im enjoying it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fantasy Freaks Forum Forum Index -> Book Club All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: