The time now is Fri Nov 15, 2019 10:13 am
View unanswered posts
April 2013 - Spoilers to Page 201

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fantasy Freaks Forum Forum Index -> Book Club
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lannie
Colonel Chatterbox

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 11:03 am
Post subject: April 2013 - Spoilers to Page 201

This thread is for discussion of the book Theft of Swords by Michael J. Sullivan, up to the end of page 201 in my trade paperback copy. (end of chapter 6).
Alle
The First Evil

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 3:57 pm
Post subject:

Sad to say, but this book is getting to be tiresome. It is pretty cliched, and the writing is a bit juvenile. The monk's constant exposition is getting a bit much too. Of course he has read everything and remembers it all, and is the only one from the raid left alive. Oh, and why would the prison guards not just kill the group right at the start? But no, they allow them access to the 1,000 year old wizard, give them a chance to help the wizard escape and then go and try to kill them. Well done.

So, it is still fun to read in a mindless sort of way, but ultimately I am disappointed as I expected more. It is still really early on, so I have some residual hope that it gets better.
Lannie
Colonel Chatterbox

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:29 pm
Post subject:

You and I are still on the same page Alle. It just seems so obvious. Although I liked Esrahaddon (I`m too lazy to go check the spelling of that) speaking in Shakespearan English :)
The one that really struck me was Arista (again, too lazy to check the spelling, but you know, the Princess) pulling out the knife that killed her father and then the scene change. It was supposed to be oh no - Arista is the killer!!! But instead it was so clear that she was going to do a spell to reveal the real killer.
Also - Royce is totally part elf. One quarter maybe.
Alle
The First Evil

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:19 am
Post subject:

Lannie wrote:

Also - Royce is totally part elf. One quarter maybe.

lol The first time early in the book his keen eyesight was mentioned I had him pegged as elf hybrid of some sort. I don't think the author could have made it more obvious if he tried. It gets worse too with anvils falling left and right regarding this. I think I would have really enjoyed this book when I was about 10-12.
Lannie
Colonel Chatterbox

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:10 am
Post subject:

I`m absolutely terrible at noticing foreshadowing so for me to pick it up it is so totally slap you in the face obvious :) You are right, I think I would have enjoyed this book much more 20-25 years ago when I had read a lot less fantasy.
Caleyna
Queen of Silliness

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 3:28 pm
Post subject:

Oh good grief. This book is so immature. I don't hate it or anything, but it does feel like it would be better suited to a tween than a grown adult. It's quite obvious Royce is an elf. Let's hit the point with a sledge hammer! And the whole thing with the wizard was beyond ridiculous. I was ready find the author and shake some sense in to him with that whole wizard speaking old English schtick. Then they are told explicitly not to do anything the guy tells him to do and they do exactly what he tells them to do. I was shaking my head.
Alle
The First Evil

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:36 pm
Post subject:

lol Yes, that part with the Old English speech was laughable, but at least the author did recognize that there would be differences in language after 900 years. A bit more then some 'thees' and thous' however, he did make an effort. ;-p I totally gave up on this being a really good, epic fantasy, and just went along with the silliness. Its more enjoyable that way.
Patrick
Sleepless Sonneteer

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:22 pm
Post subject:

Call me crazy, but, certain annoyances aside (the wizard's speech made my head hurt, and I'm the poet who loves Early Modern English!) I'm still enjoying it. I thought the prison set up was pretty clever, even if the escape was a bit ham-fisted ("wow, these folks who've been guarding this guy for 1,000 years say we shouldn't do anything he says. Pfft!! Screw that!"). It's not by any means on the same level of RJ and GRRM* but I've read much less enjoyable fantasy in my day.

My main complaint remains the worldbuilding, which seems almost entirely generic thus far: humans populating a bunch of pseudo-Medieval European kingdoms, elves that are apparently as typically alien as 95% of fantasy lit elves, crafty mechanically-inclined dwarves, a fallen empire of old, a mean old nasty corrupt church (sigh...that's really getting old), etc. It just doesn't feel very fleshed-out and certainly not distinctive.

Of course, I recently read Brandon Sanderson's The Way of Kings, which I think had some of the most amazingly original worldbuilding I've ever read, so that might be coloring my reactions a bit. *l*

I think Sullivan would benefit from having an actual editor.

* Up through the end of ASoS, at any rate. Don't get me started on AFfC.

On a mountain of skulls in a castle of pain, I sat on a throne of blood. What was will be, what is will be no more. Now is the season of evil!
Alle
The First Evil

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:29 am
Post subject:

Pat, I agree with your comment on the worldbuilding, which is cliched and simple. It goes along with the plot and characters too. But, as soon as I put away my expectations (this series was way hyped so I expected Rothfuss good or close) I was able to just enjoy it as a fun, light and simple piece of writing.
Patrick
Sleepless Sonneteer

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:21 am
Post subject:

Yup, that's what I've done, too. *l*

On a mountain of skulls in a castle of pain, I sat on a throne of blood. What was will be, what is will be no more. Now is the season of evil!
Lannie
Colonel Chatterbox

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:48 pm
Post subject:

I'm not sure if it improves or I just got into it, but I've now read all three books (or 6 books bound into 3, depending how you look at it) and I've really enjoyed them! I got attached to some of the characters as it went and I wanted to stay with them.
Alle
The First Evil

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:37 pm
Post subject:

Lannie,

I am on book 4 and find it just as silly as the earlier going. I kind of like the characters, but it is just too juvenile for me to get invested in any of the action. It is however, good reading when you are hand grazing your horse...Sevi likes to spook at various things, and when I am reading these books, I can pay attention to the horse and not miss a thing in the reading. lol
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fantasy Freaks Forum Forum Index -> Book Club All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: