The time now is Sun Oct 13, 2019 8:20 pm
View unanswered posts
How did WoT bring you here?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fantasy Freaks Forum Forum Index -> The Black Tower
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lannie
Colonel Chatterbox

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 1:16 am
Post subject: How did WoT bring you here?

I know most of us have covered this topic over and over again, but I'm feeling really sentimental with the imminent release of the last of the Wheel Time books.

My question is: How did WoT bring you here? How did WoT influence your online life? Even further, did it influence you offline?
Loial

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 6:55 am
Post subject:

WoT practically started my online life back in 96. One of the first sites I visited was WoT related. And the first chat/forum I joined was Druid's at pacific pages, which can be considered an ancestor of this forum.
My user name in most of the web sites that require registration is Loial.
And as for the offline part - my wife is also a Fantasy fan, and WoT was one of the things we talked about on the day we met :D
Lannie
Colonel Chatterbox

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:44 am
Post subject:

Several of my friends forced the book series on me during my fourth year of university and to my surprise, I loved them. They did not help my grades, let me tell you! When my boyfriend and I broke up during the summer of '99, I started spending a lot more time on the internet :) I tried to find answers to some of the questions I had about the Wheel of Time series (Who Killed Asmodean? being a classic favourite) and discovered the PoP/PoL. I quickly found the chat feature and spent a lot of time in there as either Lanfear or Lanfear Amaya, which eventually evolved into plain old Lannie. So hard to remember now, but I'm pretty sure Paedrag Gaidin and Caleyna were among the first people I chatted with.

As for real life - it's been great meeting some freaks in person. My best friend and I co-own our Wheel of Time books (they take up too much shelf space) so I can't wait until he finishes the last book (I get it first!). I'm trying to get more friends to read it since I can soon market it as a Finished Series.
Jade
Seven of Jade

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:39 pm
Post subject:

yep, PoP (the next ancestor of this site after Druid's) was one of the first places I really visited when we got internet access. Definitely my first webforum and chat room (I blush to think how ignorant I was - not knowing *lol* and *weg* and winky faces or pretty much anything!)

Back then I was dragonflier, and then Jade dragonflier, which then just became Jade...

I'm trying to remember who I first met in chat - definitely Carl, Alle, Caly, and Jani (aka hurtta) were among some of the first...

*lol* I do remember thinking dragonkitty was a guy. No idea why! Sorry Jenny! ;-)

The WoT books were also something that I shared with a lot of my high school friends, and we all actually bonded over them a lot.

And I'm very glad to have been to a couple freak-outs, including 2 freak weddings!

Jade

Alle
The First Evil

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 4:06 pm
Post subject:

WoT was one of the first (if not the first) internet searches I did. lol That search brought me to some odd places, among them Druid's. I am trying to remember the names of some of the others...one was an RJ list where you had to find the book and page number of certain prose. When you answered enough correctly, you made the list and were ranked. I was one of the first people to make the list and have a top 10 ranking within the first week of joining. The second person to do so joined a week after I did and was ranked either number 1 or 2. lol We all obviously needed to get a life. I also discovered the infamous FAQ and was amazed at all the theories.

I joined Druid's and posted (mostly replies to others) and maybe peeked into the chat a few times before I lost internet access. When I established an internet connection at home, I caught up at Druid's only to have it close, so like most there, I went to PoP. Steve aka Gaidal Cain was in the chat my first time venturing in.

I was once of the first members at Dragonmount when that started, but not really being into role playing, I dropped out.

Although I have only made it to a few freak outings in real life, the freaks have been a cherished part of my life. Love you guys!
Big Bubba
Slayer of Unreads

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 8:43 pm
Post subject:

Same old story for me. I got into WoT in the mid 90's, searched the series online and ended up at PoP, then went straight here when Caleyna Sedai opened up business on May 31st, 1999. Eventually she and I bonded in the old fashioned way (no One Power involved).

3 days!!!

Salamander

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 5:59 pm
Post subject:

My first big internet search was indeed a WoT related one.
At first I joined DM, but like Alle, I wasn't really into online roleplaying. (Later
I really enjoyed many years of pen and paper RP-ing with fellow fantasy addicts from my university.)

When I did another search, I found PoP and I really liked it. I really didn't post
much, mostly only replying to other posts. The chat was a real eye-opener for
me, as I never had been to one where newbies were not only tolerated, but really accepted as part of the community.

I think I found PoP in August 1998, although I'm not sure about that. It all
seems so long ago, and maybe it really is. At first I only chatted in the hour
before classes in the morning. I think Bili was there the first time I entered
chat, and Nordlibris also was a regular still.

I only made one "mistake", I chose a WoT-name that was too well-known, too
popular. As it turned out, I chose one that had been used before, but was inactive at the time. It did make for some interesting and hilarious situations
of mixed-up identities. I registered myself as Moridin, and was mistaken for
someone from the US, who used to be a regular.

I really enjoyed my time there, and later at PoL, but when I learned Caley
created this place, I also came here. I started with this name here, because
I was using this one more and more at the old place, and because Deverry
became more and more dear to me. (Thank you Nordlibris, for pointing that one out to me!)

I really am looking forward to reading aMoL, but it will be the end of an Age.
Caleyna
Queen of Silliness

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:19 pm
Post subject:

My friend talked me into reading WoT back in '96 or '97. He also had internet access and we couldn't quite figure out what to do with it. We tried to find something about the Empire series, but there were no websites dedicated to it. Then we looked up WoT, I found Druid's and the rest is history. I really liked the community and was obsessed with the chat. When it closed down I followed SK over to PoP, but as I lost interest in WoT I decided to create a forum with a broader focus. Thus FFF was born!

Somehow I accumulated a WoT obsessed husband along the way. The big miracle in all of this is that our children do not have WoT names, though I do believe our daughter has a middle name that I once used in chat (Kyrene).

Rhodric
Lord of the Morning

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 3:43 pm
Post subject:

Well I started reading the series when I found tEotW at a public library when I was 11ish. I want to say it was 91 but it might have been 92 because I seem to remember after reading book 1, I was able to read tGH, tDR and tSR in fairly short order. I can't remember if WoT was my first internet search however. When we got our first computer we were living overseas in the republic of panama, and I don't know if we had internet access. I want to say that we didn't but we might have had something extremely primitive. That was 94-95 so the internet was fairly young. Moved back to the States slightly after aCoS release date and then we definitely had internet access. I think I found druid's Pacific Pages Wot BBS sometime around December 96, though it might have been January. As for the first people I met, the only FFFer that was around back then was Caly. I think she was 22ish working at apple or something, unless she had just moved to Astoria. I was 16, we were so young. lol

WoT was my online life. Almost all the sites I've been a member of had to do with it in some way. Druid's, Newsgroup, PoP, PoL, FFF, Theoryland. I guess it was my real life too. I seem to remember thinking once or twice that life was something to do between release dates. And my oldest daughter is named after Min and Alivia from the series. I guess that's over now though, so I don't know what I'll do. Well...I guess there is always the Encyclopedia.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fantasy Freaks Forum Forum Index -> The Black Tower All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: