The time now is Sat Sep 22, 2018 5:39 am
View unanswered posts
My 2013 Reading Project

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Caleyna
Queen of Silliness

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 4:03 pm
Post subject: My 2013 Reading Project

I haven't done much reading the past year. I don't have a lot of time and I have no idea what I want. I know I don't really care for urban fantasy and the market seems to be saturated by it.

I had an idea to find a list of great new fantasy somewhere online and just plunge in. The good news of letting my reading habits slip: most of the series are on the second or even third book!

So here's a list of series I intend to try out in 2013. I got a taste of this project with <i>Alchemist of Souls</i> by Anne Lyle and it was great!

1. Aeon's Gate by Sam Sykes

2. Wild Hunt by Elspeth Cooper

3. A Tale of the Kin by Doug Hulick

4. Broken Empire by Mark Lawrence

I'm also considering reading something by Joe Ambercrombie, but am not convinced that I want to read someone who is "the face of gritty fantasy" as I'm not a big fan of grit. I like happiness.

What great fantasy series am I missing? Anyone want to play along? Maybe one of these can be a book club book at some point

--All of the ideas came from this blog post: http://fantasy-faction.com/2012/most-anticipated-fantasy-books-of-2012
Alle
The First Evil

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 1:24 am
Post subject:

Well I ordered Alchemist of Souls and will read it after the WoT finale. Of the others on your list, I have read The Wild Hunt which had some potential but was a bit lacking imo. I *may* get the second book..still not sure yet. Sometimes authors first books are not so great but they get better, and this may be the case here.

I have heard some good things about A Tale of the Kin, so I may try that. Prince of Thorns is not anything I would want to read after reading some reviews on it. See my need for liking at least something about the main characters below. Never heard of Aeon's Gate but in reading the synopsis i think I will pass unless you give it a rave. *s*

As for Joe Ambercrombie, I am thinking you wouldn't enjoy him too much. The only one I finished was Best Served Cold which I hated mostly because I hated each and every character in the novel. He is a good enough writer, but I need to have some quality in the leads that I can either like or be amused by and this bunch were all loathsome. lol
julie
Wicked Wisdom

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 5:19 pm
Post subject:

Matched Trilogy by Ally Condie:

Matched
Crossed
Reached

Read it, damnit!
Megaret

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 5:51 pm
Post subject:

Joe Abercrombie is not definitely not happy. You really need to start with the First Law Trilogy to sort of ease into his style, but if you don't like it you won't like the rest. He starts out writing what you think is the usual fantasy story but then flips your expectations. There are really no heroes, winners, happy endings and there really aren't any good guys. That being said though, he is probably my favorite author right now and I have read everything he has written. I guess I really appreciated the break from the usual fantasy formula and have really enjoyed the stories even though there aren't happy endings. Its not going to have you in tears sort of not happy, its just sort of a downer. Also if you skip and don't read from the First Law and in chronological order, you will miss out on a lot. There is sort of an over-arching storyline, even though the most recent books are supposedly "stand alone".

My recommendation for new authors is the Raven's Shadow trilogy by Anthony Ryan. He started out with it as a 'self-published' e-book but now he has got a real publisher for the series and the first has been re-released in hardcover and the e-book price has gone up from since I first posted about it. He has the second book finished, but since the first book has just had its "real" release there will probably be a bit of a wait for it by the publisher.
Alle
The First Evil

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:41 pm
Post subject:

I just bought the first book on kindle Julieeeeeee...hope I like it. ;-p I got your card last week too...so great to hear from you. :-) It made my day.
Caleyna
Queen of Silliness

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:39 pm
Post subject:

Sounds like Ambercrombie is reeeeeeealllly not for me. I'll give him a pass. I am currently reading the Night Angel's Trilogy by Brent Weeks. I guess the good thing about being out of the loop for so long is that a lot of these hot new authors are no longer so new and have completed trilogies.

I'm really enjoying this trilogy. I'm about 3/4 done with the first book. Mike said he's read the trilogy (the book club read it???) and a lot of people complained it was a rip-off of WoT. I'm seeing some Wottish elements, but not sure I would have noticed without the thought in my mind that they might be there.
Alle
The First Evil

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:35 pm
Post subject:

Yeah, I never really got the whole 'Wot rip off' from the series...there were similarities yes, but the styles are different and the plot certainly differed enough. It was an okay series for me, more fluff than fabulous.
Caleyna
Queen of Silliness

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 4:48 pm
Post subject:

Well, I started the Sam Sykes series, Aeon's Gate. Thank goodness I just got a sample first. I could barely make it through the sample. Pages and pages and nothing happened even though it was a pirate fight! Everyone just standing around speaking inflated prose.

I just started a book by Elspeth Cooper, mainly because I think the name Elspeth is cool. So far so good! It's the first in the Wild Hunt quartet and seems kind of like an alternative earth fairy type story.
Alle
The First Evil

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:26 am
Post subject:

I read that book C...the Elspeth Cooper one not the other...it wasn't too bad, and I have been meaning to get the second one...the author has potential although the first book was just okay for me. Hope you enjoy it! Oops, and I just realize that I repeated myself from a previous post. lol
Caleyna
Queen of Silliness

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:48 am
Post subject:

That's ok, I don't ever mind hearing from you. I'm just glad I'm able to find more time to read this year. It seems like I've been out of the loop for years. I can't really watch TV during the day anymore because everything I want to see is something I don't need my preschooler watching, so I've been reading instead. Funny, ten years ago I probably would have preferred reading anyway. One of these days I am not going to be chronically exhausted and that day may be soon!
Caleyna
Queen of Silliness

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:46 pm
Post subject:

I really enjoyed the Elspeth Cooper book. It was by no means "OMG! MUST READ MORE! My top ten fave ever!" but it was pretty decent. I liked the first half better than the second half. The big thing that happened was supposed to be so crushing, yet I was pretty "meh" about it. I will def. be reading the second in the series and hope the author gets her feet under her. She shows a lot of promise.

Carrie
Caleyna
Queen of Silliness

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 5:50 pm
Post subject:

I'm about 30% into the second Cooper book. It's quite a shock to the system--it doesn't just pick up where the story left off. It is the same world and same overarching plot, but some of the stuff is taking place in the past from a different character's POV and then the main character is completely new. I am also bothered by the amount of rape in the book, both brutal and casual. I'd like to know what her characters are wearing that if a serving woman gets to near them the serving woman ends up going for a ride. Are these guys just sitting around with their pants down and wangs out?
Alle
The First Evil

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 12:41 am
Post subject:

That is really weird Caly. Not sure if I want to pursue the series as I was on the fence after the first book.
Caleyna
Queen of Silliness

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 4:15 pm
Post subject:

I'll let you know once I get finished. The beginning was def not that great, but now I am sort of getting into it. The sex scenes are so weird, though. More like romance novel sex instead of fantasy book sex. Rods and silky linings. Ha.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fantasy Freaks Forum Forum Index -> Bookish All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: