Cold Days by Jim Butcher - SPOILER Thread
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Big Bubba
Slayer of Unreads

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 10:04 pm
Post subject: Cold Days by Jim Butcher - SPOILER Thread

So, anyone else finished?

I got to the end today, after savoring it as long as I could. I mean, these days you only get a new DF every 1.5 years or so. JB appears to be slowing down the closer to the end he gets.

And the end of this book makes me wonder how he'll be able to write another 5-6 case books before the apocalyptic trilogy. This book felt pretty darn apocalyptic, and it looks like the main adversary of the series is now revealed. Or does JB have another trick to pull out of his sleeve?

I'm also kind of surprised that Harry is still the Winter Knight. I thought that would be a short stint. Now it looks more like the Lasciel deal, that went on for what? Two, three books? More?

And the big surprise obviously was what happened at Molly at the end. I definitely didn't see that coming. It will be interesting to see how Harry and Molly will work this in the next book(s).

Other things...
Thomas was great in this book. He's turning into Harry's conscience, which is pretty weird for a vampire.
Lacuna... farily entertaining.
Sarissa will be a wonderful Summer Lady.
I'm really disappointed that Cat Sith turned out to be infected. He was a cool cat.
Glad Maeve is dead. She had it coming.

Last edited by Big Bubba on Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
Alle
The First Evil

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:33 pm
Post subject:

I so did not see this post earlier! Glad you are finished...I loved this book and also savored it. I need to reread it though as I finished it in a big rush.

Thomas was really awesome in this book, and he has been a character that I mostly like but never got all that worked up over. I loved his reunion with Harry and then the last hug too. Way to go Thomas...he delivered a lot of awesome snark.

Molly was also really strong in this book...before the big finish. I can't wait to see her tell her parents. I don't think Charity is going to be all that impressed. I only saw it coming about when Harry did, so it was a nicely sprung surprise.

The Wild Hunt/Odin/Kringle...all of that was just great stuff. Loved it.

Mike: it certainly has gone beyond crime of the book, but it has gotten away from that for several books now. Book 15 is a Denarian book, so that should prove interesting. I also didn't think he would get out of being Winter Knight very easily especially considering how much effort Mab put into preserving him. And now with Molly as the Winter Lady, he may actually want to keep to the job.

The verbal smack down he gave to Mab after the fight was just wonderful. And Demonreach is creep/cool for sure. I didn't think the purpose of the island was as a supernatural prison but I am glad we learned that.

I was saddened about Cat Sith too and am hoping that the Nemesis/whatever thingy that took over leaves him for a better target? As long as that target wasn't anyone I cared about of course, lol. Yeah...poor Cat Sith. :-(

I really enjoyed Fix in this book too. That boy has come a long way.

So an idea as to the parasite that will burst through Harry's skull shortly if he does nothing about it? I got nothing!

Jim has stated that once he is finished writing the first book of his new Steam Punk series he will start the next Dresden.
Big Bubba
Slayer of Unreads

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 9:07 pm
Post subject:

Yes! I liked Kringle/Santa/Odin as well. Talk about having a day job! I'm sure we'll see more of this guy as we go.

Back to the Denarians next time, huh? I guess I'll have to go back and reread some of the previous books then, since I can barely remember what happened last time.

But I do remember that the showdown that time was Demonreach as well. Sounds like Harry is going to set up a permanent residence there now. Good thing he knows a Carpenter that can help with that, ha!

And no, I have no freaking clue what the parasite is either. I guess there are some mysteries left, which is a good thing. Here's to this not taking as long to be resolved as Moiraine's rescue!

Alle
The First Evil

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 3:27 am
Post subject:

Every 5th book is Denarian, supposedly. But I think he also confirmed it at a post Cold Days interview as well.

Other things I didn't remark upon but should have:

Bob had a nice part in this one. Glad he got away from Evil Bob fairly easily lol

Mab was once mortal? hmmmmm....

And what exactly is Mac? Besides an awesome brewer?

It did make me laugh that Harry...still trying to keep a low profile from most his crew...goes to Macs for a meeting, And of course things go boom. He isn't the most stealthy of folk, is he? Loved the line about how he hadn't set a building on fire in a while. lol

I doubt anything in fiction will ever take as long as Moiraine's rescue.
Big Bubba
Slayer of Unreads

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 4:56 pm
Post subject:

I seriously cannot believe that Alle and I are the only old fogies that have read Cold Days! C'mon people!
Lannie
Colonel Chatterbox

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 2:11 am
Post subject:

Got it for Christmas! Spent the entire day reading it today (Thank god for vacation, too bad I meant to spend it cleaning and organizing the apartment. I got as far as breakfast and a shower and then thought I'd just read a bit before.... Oops.)

Loved, loved the book. Kind of wish I had done a re-read first but all the DF books live at my sister's. Read Ghost Story pretty recently though, so was good for recent events. If the next book is Denarian, I really will have to do a re-read.

Wish Murphy had somehow been something more, but can't really describe it better than that.

Mab's daughter as Summer Lady and Michael Carpenter's daughter as Winter Lady? Love the juxtaposition (I think that's the right word, if not, I like how fancy it sounds).

Love Bob, but I always love Bob. Love Butters. Love my pop culture geekdom references.

You know a sign of a good book? When you get angry at the last book because you hate leaving their world and want to spend more time with them. I need to know NOW.
Big Bubba
Slayer of Unreads

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 2:35 pm
Post subject:

Yay, amother victim of the post-DF blues! If I'm suffering, then I want company. And we have some 8-10 books to go, or something like that. Maybe I get to read the last one when I've retired. Oh wait, I probably won't be able to afford retirement. Oh well...

Yes, it was a good book, wasn't it? Lot's of scary stuff too, in particular Bob with full access to the Internet... *shudders*

Alle
The First Evil

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 1:22 am
Post subject:

Glad you liked it Lannie. I tried to read it slowly, but finished in a rush. I will reread it to help alleviate my upcoming post WoT blues. lol

Bob with internet access is scary indeed! lol
Jade
Seven of Jade

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 3:46 pm
Post subject:

*holding hands over her eyes to avoid spoilers*

Damn it all, y'all! I'm not allowed to read this until after I finish my thesis. Or at least until after I defend my thesis (not exactly the same thing).

Stop tormenting me! :-p

Jade

Alle
The First Evil

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 5:01 pm
Post subject:

When do you get to defend it? My friend has just finished up that part of the process. I hope it is soon because on top of Cold Days spoilers to torment you, soon there will be WoT end of SERIES spoilers as well. ;-p Just sayin'!
Jade
Seven of Jade

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 10:25 am
Post subject:

I defend in 2 weeks, but I'll still have some writing to be done afterwards (and packing and moving)

Hmmm, yeah, WoT... Don't remind me!

Jade

Big Bubba
Slayer of Unreads

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 4:31 pm
Post subject:

Pst, Jade, don't forget WoT!
Alle
The First Evil

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 3:17 am
Post subject:

Oh Jadeeeeee..I think we kind of already did remind you of WoT...I hear its going to be EPIC. *snicker* Well, pretty much everything is either epic, amazing or even the outdated awesome. ;-p
Jade
Seven of Jade

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:19 pm
Post subject:

oh no! The copy of Cold Days I requested at the library just came in! How am I supposed to resist it for the next 11 days???

Jade

Big Bubba
Slayer of Unreads

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 7:43 pm
Post subject:

It's a sign that you should prioritize this important piece of literature over silly little things like defending your thesis.
Alle
The First Evil

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 4:07 pm
Post subject:

*lmao* at Bubba. Um Jade...sleep isn't really needed, is it? ;-p
Xinpheld
Bird Man of Alka-Seltzer

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:16 pm
Post subject:

I just finished Cold Days yesterday. I was glad to be surprised at Molly's fate. I was right there with Dresden in the slo-mo NOOOOO about it. I'm kinda surprised that Karrin was so brute-force about Maeve in double-tapping her. I guess she'd been hanging out with Kinkaid too much.

The next book is Denarian? Good, maybe Murphy will stop hemming and hawing and finally pick up a Sword full-time. Maybe they'll clear up the whole bloodline thing as well. Anyone else in for Michael's eldest son being the next bearer of Amoraccius? He had to have been set up as a player for a reason, other than to just get beat up by Fagin in Ghost Story.

Also-- Santa Claus Beatdown. Winner.

Also-- how do you think Harry will handle having Molly as his boss? Heh.

The scene with Molly's light show kicking in on Sharkface made me actually LOL. STOMP STOMP CLAP, STOMP STOMP CLAP.

One thing-- Harry made an internet meme reference toward the beginning of the book, which made me sad. I forget what the phrase was, but it was in the "adjective noun is adjective" format. totally internet-based. I do hope the svartalves come up with a magic-proof computer, so Harry can say the magic phrase, "Show me The Google."

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Jade
Seven of Jade

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:53 pm
Post subject:

okay, so I was feeling stressed out, and I went and picked up the library copy that came in on hold, and read it all in one big go. Whoooosh.

Not much to say, except repetition of everyone else! Awesome to find out more about the Gatekeeper, awesome to see Santa Claus/Odin and the Hunt, and well .... just awesome. Thomas was great, but something about Murphy's part felt lacking. Maybe it's just that she doesn't seem herself when she's not a cop.

I agree, it seems like we ought to be only a few books away from some kind of grand finale, but there's always room to throw in a few more stories, I think.

So, they brought up Harry's mother again. I still think there's more to that story - they've been so coy about who she was and what she got up to, that I think there's more yet to be revealed.

Anyway... Glad I took a day to read it! But I will wait for the final WoT until later *lol*

Jade

Xinpheld
Bird Man of Alka-Seltzer

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:14 am
Post subject:

There are still a lot of Chekov's Guns to be fired: Lasciel's coin (Lash said she could show hom how to call it to him at any time-- she had to have left that tidbit of info in his head), Cowl and Kumori, the two unclaimed Swords, Evil Bob still at large, no to mention an explosive cranial parasite. and now Molly is in line for Winter Queen. that's a whole book in itself.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
julie
Wicked Wisdom

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 7:43 am
Post subject:

I need to post more often so I don't completely forget my font color number.

Anyhoo...finished Cold Days on Thursday. It was fun! I absolutely love all the pop culture references. They will confound future generations and keep future Google busy. Mikey, I'm shocked that you didn't reference the quote on page 437. When I read it, I immediately thought of you. *lmao*

Sometimes it isn't easy to be sane, smart, and responsible. Sometimes it sucks. Sucks wang. Camel wang.

Still *lmao*

Hey, and what the heck is up with Mac? You guys didn't discuss him. Should I know what his deal is or is that still mysterious to everyone?

I was also totally shocked that Molly ended up as Winter Lady, but it will be GREAT for Harry to work for her. *lol* And I think it worked out way better for Sarissa to be the Summer Lady - she is more the type for that job than winter.

I was also disappointed that Karrin didn't have more of a role. I will be very glad when she finally takes up her sword and gets together with Harry.

And yay Mouse! Ninja mud dog.

I also love the Mothers. They crack me up. And I was disappointed that we didn't see Lea.

Alle, do you think Morgana is Mab? Since the Fae Queens all end up looking like their Mantle, could her appearance have changed?

Finally, I look forward to watching the burgeoning romance between Toot and Lacuna. *Snicker*
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fantasy Freaks Forum Forum Index -> Bookish All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: