The time now is Sun Oct 13, 2019 8:34 pm
View unanswered posts
aCoS 8-10 (FRR-2012)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fantasy Freaks Forum Forum Index -> The Black Tower
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rhodric
Lord of the Morning

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 5:02 am
Post subject: aCoS 8-10 (FRR-2012)

aCoS Ch 8 "The Figurehead"

For some reason I feel accomplished, and I have no idea why. I think maybe those first seven chapters were hard to get through, not to read, but felt like they took a long time and were just a prelude to the true book. Whatever the case, it does feel like the story is starting to open up a little, and it is now time for some reverse chronology. For the first six books, the timeline is fairly linear. The end of one book takes place before the start of the next and where plotlines are simultaneous or when RJ goes back in time a little, it's easy to recognize because of the seasons and moons, and of course there were a lot less events back then. This, the first Egwene chapter, takes place on the same day as the events of the epilogue of LoC. I.E.: the death of Herid Fel and the rescue of Moghedien. It is also only two days after the battle of Dumai's Wells. The events in, A Crown of Swords, happen fast and furious. The entire book only covers one week, and many things are happening at the same time--many times you'll read something later, and it will be happening BEFORE something you already read. Makes for very confusing reading. From here on out, until aMoL plotlines won't be in chronological order and will be out of sync, i.e. things won't be happening at the same time. I'll try to reference this when I can, just because it adds another layer of understanding and flavor to the story.

The first half of the chapter firmly establishes Egwene's political position in camp. Though the camp might be referred to as Salidar or SAS (Salidar Aes Sedai), they are of course no longer in Salidar and haven't for some time, ever since Elayne and Nyn left, and Egwene used The Band as a goad to force to hall into approving marching orders. In a macro sense, the chapter title tells the reader all they need to know. Egwene plays Sheriam, Romanda (sitter for the Yellow tied for most influential woman in camp with Lelaine), and Lelaine (sitter for the Blue tied with Romanda for most influential woman in camp) all against one another. Siuan is supposedly only teaching Egwene etiquette, which Egwene supposedly loathes, but I reality, she is her confidante and spy master. It takes all that to maintain the little autonomy that Egwene has achieved, but even with all that, she is still mostly a figurehead. In addition she has Theodrin and Faolain, though they are limited as they are basically Aes Sedai -1. While going over documents with Sheriam and Siuan, Sheriam notices the [a’dam] bracelet and connects it to what Elayne and Nynaeve used to wear. Egwene knows she has been careless and attempts to deflect Sheriam’s train of thought with one of the bits of dirt that Siuan as been able to dig up about her:

“ ‘Daughter, I’ve learned that a few days after Siuan and Leane arrived in Salidar, ten sisters left, two from each Ajah there except the Blue. Where did they go, and why?”
Sheriam’s eyes narrowed a fraction, but she wore serenity as comfortably as her dress. “Mother, I can hardly recall every--”
“No dancing around, Sheriam” Egwene moved a little closer, until their knees almost touched. “No lies by omission. The truth.”
A frown creased Sheriam’s smooth forehead. “Mother, even if I knew you cannot trouble yourself with every little--”
“The truth, Sheriam. The whole truth. Must I ask before the entire Hall why I cannot have the truth from my Keeper? I will have it, daughter, one way or another. I [will] have it.”
Sheriam’s head swiveled as though she was looking for a way to escape. Her eyes fell on Chesa, hunched over her sewing, and she all but gasped with relief. “Mother, tomorrow, when we are alone, I am sure I can explain everything to your satisfaction. I must speak with a few of the sisters first.”
So they could work up what Sheriam was to tell her tomorrow. “Chesa,” Egwene said, “wait outside, please.” For all that she seemed focused on her work to the exclusion of everything else, Chesa bounded to her feet in a flash and very nearly ran from the tent. When Aes Sedai were at odds, anyone with half a brain went elsewhere. “Now, daughter,” Egwene said.
“The truth. All that you know. this is a s private as you will be,” she added when Sheriam glanced at Siuan.
For a moment Sheriam adjusted her skirts, plucking at them really, avoiding Egwene’s eyes, no doubt still working out evasions. But the Three Oaths trapped her. She could not speak an untrue word, and whatever she thought of Egwene’s true position, slipping behind her back was a long way from denying her authority to her face. Even Romanda maintained the proper courtesies, if only by a hair at times.
Drawing a deep breath, Sheriam folded her hands in her lap and spoke to Egwene’s chest, matter-of-fact. “When we learned the Red Ajah was responsible for setting Logain up as a false Dragon, we felt something had to be done.” “We” certainly meant the small coterie of sisters she had gathered around her; Carlinya and Beonin and the rest held as much real sway as most Sitters, if not actually in the Hall. “Elaida was sending out demands for every sister to return to the Tower, so we chose ten sisters to do just that, by the fastest means they could manage. They all should be there long since. Quietly making sure that every sister in the Tower understands the truth of what the Reds did with Logain. Not--” She hesitated, then finished in a rush. “Not even the Hall knows of them.’ “

The truth comes out! The ten “ferrets” are going to play a role in the upcoming “purge” but are rather insignificant at the moment. Egwene has Sheriam right where she wants her. I’d say she has her by the balls, if Sheriam actually had balls. Siuan announces that the reason Sheriam has told no one about the sisters, the reason much of the information in camp isn’t shared is because of fear of the Black Ajah. Sheriam acts annoyed at Siuan but all of Sheriam’s actions and reactions take on a more sinister with the information now known about her ah, affiliations. Before Egwene can press home her advantage though, she feels...

“A sudden stab of pain through that pocket of sensations in the back of her head sent everything else flying. Had she felt it directly, it would have been numbing. As it was, her eyes bulged in shock. A man who could channel was touching the necklace around Moghedien’s neck; this was one link no man could e brought into. Pain, and something unheard of from Moghedien. Hope. And then it was all gone, the awareness, the emotions. The necklace was off.”

Old news. We saw the scene with Moghedien and Aran’gar in LoC’s epilogue and Egwene subsequently coming into the tent and discovering the escape. She rushes out of the tent and to “Marigan’s” Tells Chesa to get Siuan and Leane and bring them to her tent. Egwene is afraid and worried, and she should be--Moggy on the loose is pretty hardcore. Interestingly, her thought process touches and something very close to the way Elaida thinks. When going through the list of likely suspects, she thinks about the horror of “dozens” of men who can channel gathering in one place. All the rumors must be wrong, not many men could *want* to channel. Of course, she can’t really be blamed for that, if I didn’t have insider information, I wouldn’t believe it either, but still, it is ironic. It’s also ironic that she rushes to the tent by herself as if she can really do anything about it. Moghedien by herself could overwhelm Egwene easily and with Aran’gar...yeah, lunchmeat.

“Egwene blew out the lantern and set it carefully in a corner. Maybe she had to think clearly, but she still felt as if she was stumbling in the dark.”

aCoS Ch 9 “A Pair of Silverpike”

Oh those pesky silverpike, someday I'm gonna name my road or driveway silverpike lane. I didn't mention Egwene's THREE maids, I think. Meri from Romanda and Selame from Lelaine. Can we say spies? I don't know/can't remember the deal with Chesa, who came with the office, but the very fact that Egwene thinks she's such a loyal devoted servant is suspicious in of itself. Siuan and Leane's little deal is still in effect, and Egwene shouldn't have summoned them both together. It hasn't been explained, really, I think, because these posts only started halfway through Lord of Chaos. Basically, they pretend they hate each other and blame each other for their downfall, acting childish et cetera. It's too precious, since they've hoodwinked every estrogen bearing creature for a thousand leagues in every direction.

" 'Do you really think Faolain and Theodrin together could have stopped him? I'm not sure [I] could have, even linked with Romanda and Lelaine." They were the next strongest women in the camp, as strong as Siuan used to be."

No, I don't think so. The tree could have maybe done for Moghedien or some of the weaker Forsaken, assuming they caught them by surprise, of course. Aran'gar/Balthamel~Eval Ramman, as he was then, was disciplined numerous times, and almost bound against doing violence--the only reason he wasn't dismissed form his post--his strength in the One Power. I'm not sure if Egwene is thinking of Rand's three woman rule or the events that happened in the Stone--but Aran'gar is certainly strong enough for either to apply, maybe stronger than Rand was then, almost as strong as he is now. Egwene wants Siuan and Leane to snoop and ask questions, to find out the identity or a description of the man who must have freed Moghedien.

"Siuan snorted, louder than the first time. "Why bother?" she growled. "Do you mean to go chasing after like some fool hero in a gleeman's fool story and bring her back? Maybe tie up all the Forsaken at one go? Win the Last Battle while you're at it? Even [if] we get a description head to tie, nobody knows one Forsaken from another. Nobody here, anyway. It's the most bloody useless barrel of fish guts I ever--!' "

I love Siuan. Rand does! Though, I'm positive she doesn't mean him. The White Tower philosophy that Rand is an ignorant Swineherd is firmly embedded in Salidar. To be honest, even though Siuan steps over the line, she is mostly right. There's nothing they can really do with the information, even if they were to find out who had freed Moghedien. The whole wrap the Forsaken up and win the Last Battle is a little hubris problem that Egwene has too, though it's not pronounced yet, and it might not even be conscious thought. The thought though, is that the White Tower is the center of the world, saving it will save the world, and though Rand may fight the Last Battle, she will be responsible for winning it through guiding his actions. I can't wait until she finds out how little control she will have over those events.

Egwene decides that now it is safe to reveal true illusion and how to hide the ability to channel (the weaves that kept Moghedien hidden in the midst of three-hundred Aes Sedai). Additionally she thinks on one of Moghedien's "gifts," the ability to Travel to a place you know well from a place you don't know at all: Skimming. Egwene thinks of it as a new Talent, not a lost one because even the name is unknown, so it is all attributed to her. I try not to harp on her growing hubris, but wouldn't it be funny if Moiraine pops back up and says 'so it seems you know how to Skim' and Egwene is all, how do you bloody know about Skimming?

"We are well settled at the inn of which we spoke, and we have met with the wool merchant. He is a [very] remarkable young man, everything that Nynaeve told us. Still, he was courteous. I think he is somewhat afraid of us, which is to the good. It will go well.
You may have heard rumors about men here, including a fellow from Saldaea. The rumors are all too true, I fear, but we have seen none of them and will avoid them if we can. If you pursue two hares, both will escape you.
Verin and Alanna are here, with a number of young women from the same region as the wool merchant. I will try to send them on to you for training. Alanna has formed an attachment to the wool merchant which may prove useful, though it is troubling too. Al will go well, I am sure.
Merana"

That's the only missive they've received from Merana, received on the day they left Salidar. Which makes it three days after the embassy arrives in Caemlyn, meaning it can only detail the initial meeting. Egwene is disconcerted by the lack of news. She feels there is something very wrong, and she is right. I'm not sure if its a matter of 'even a blind pig finding an acorn every once in a while,' considering how wrong she is about almost everything else concerning Rand, or if growing up with him, or even her abilities as a dreamer are giving her some kind of premonition. Two things: one she things that Rand would be 'clay in the hands of a woman' like Alanna and two she thinks she knows him 'inside and out.' I guess he's such a weak-minded fool that he should just kneel beside her desk and allow her to guide him through Tarmon Gai'don so she can save the world. Not much different than Elaida at all, though very...understandable. Most people see people as they do when they first meet them, or as they were when they were young. Egwene sees Rand as a shepherd, as the boy from Emond's Field. Rand sees Egwene in much the same way, and it's funny, on top of how everything has changed so much, how much their exchanges HAVEN'T changed, even as far forward as Towers of Midnight. Egwene thinks to go to him and Leane reminds her of one of the more annoying White Tower laws. Namely, unless the White Tower has declared war, the Amyrlin must seek the lesser consensus of the Hall of the Tower before knowingly putting herself in danger.

No sooner than Leane leaves, then Egwene is ambushed by Nicola and Areina. These two have to be two of the most obnoxious and annoying characters in the series. I think I find it so because they could have been so...they could have amounted to something if they weren't so greedy and self-centered. They...well this is what they do:

" 'It was on the walk from the river to the village." For all her supposed reluctance, Nicola peered straight into Egwene's eyes. "Areina and I heard Thom Merrilin and Juilin Sandar talking. The gleeman, and the thief-taker? Juilin said if there were Aes Sedai in the village--we weren't sure, yet--and they learned Nynaeve and Elayne had been pretending to be Aes Sedai, then we were all jumping into a school of silverpike, which I take it isn't very safe."
"The gleeman saw us and hushed him," Areina put in, fingering the quiver at her waist, "but we heard." Her voice was hard as her stare.
"I know they're both Aes Sedai now, Mother, but wouldn't they still be in trouble if anyone found out? The sisters, I mean? Anybody who pretends to be a sister is in trouble if they find out, even years later." Nicola's face did not change, but her gaze suddenly seemed to be trying to fix Egwene's. She leaned a little forward, intent. "Anybody at all. Isn't that so?"
Emboldened by Egwene' s silence, Areina grinned. An unpleasant grin in the night. "I hear Nynaeve and Elayne were sent out of the Tower on some task by the Sanche woman back when she was Amyrlin. I hear you were sent off by her, too, at the same time. Got into all sorts of trouble when you came back." Sly insinuation slithered into her voice. "Do you remember them playing at Aes Sedai?' "

Blackmail. I don't much like Egwene, I admit it, but her being blackmailed by these...pissants...is pretty infuriating. Sad and pathetic really--they could have been something if they weren't so greedy and self-centered, but they will both have a bad end. I don't know exactly, I think once Nicola learned she could channels he looked down on Nynaeve and Elayne, and by extension Egwene. Maybe she thinks she's the better woman or wants to prove she's the better channeler. Somewhat reminiscent of the way some of Taim's Asha'man feel/act toward Rand. I love the way Egwene lays the smack down though.

"Oh, I understand, child."

aCoS Ch 10 "Unseen Eyes"

"NYNAEVE, THIS IS EGWENE. UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES ARE YOU TO RETURN UNTIL YOU FIND THE BOWL, NOT UNTIL I CAN SETTLE A PROBLEM WITH AREINA AND NICOLA. THEY KNOW YOU WERE PRETENDING. I WILL EXPLAIN MORE WHEN I SEE YOU NEXT IN THE LITTLE TOWER. BE CAREFUL. MOGHEDIEN HAS ESCAPED."

Well, I don't think Nynaeve will be sleeping much more tonight. Unseen eyes is a [Tel'aran'rhiod] chapter and like most of those, it's pretty long. Egwene warns Nynaeve and Elayne about the blackmail attempt and then asks to speak to Amys and awaits her in the Stone of Tear.
"Every place except Ogier [stedding] had its reflection in the World of Dreams--even the [stedding] did, really; but they could not be entered, just as Rhuidean had once been closed."

The way Rhuidean was shielded (and the stedding) is one of the great mysteries of the series. I really, really, REALLY, hope that some time and space is given in the last book to talk about the Ogier and (hopefully) their origins. The Book of Translation opened up a can of worms in Knife of Dreams, and the TAR shielding makes the likelihood of stedding being artificially made extremely high. Incidentally, the Blight cannot be entered in [Tel'aran'Rhiod] either, because it is not part of 'the natural universe.' The Blight is an 'artifact' of the War of Power and the Breaking of the world, and did not exist before the Bore was drilled. No mention is made whether the Blasted Lands and Shayol Ghul are part of the 'natural universe' or accessible from TAR.

"Like [angreal] and [sa'angreal], by Tower law [ter'angreal] were the property of the White Tower, no matter who happened to possess them for the present. Very seldom did the Tower insist, at least when possession lay somewhere like the so-called Great Holding in this very Stone of Tear--eventually they would come to the Aes Sedai, and the White Tower had always been good at waiting when it needed to--but those actually in Aes Sedai hands were in the gift of the Hall, of individual Sitters. The loan, really; they were almost never given. Elayne had learned to duplicated dream [ter'angreal], and she and Nynaeve had taken two with them, but the rest were in the Hall's possession now, along with the other sorts Elayne had made."

Must be nice to co-opt any property in the whole world no matter who owns it. By their laws, the White Tower owns Mat's foxhead, [Callandor], even the [Choedan Kal.] No wonder the forsaken, and every other AoLer laughs up their sleeves at the "slatterns in their tower." In a time where [ter'angreal]=machine and most were operated by non-channelers and were in every city and town in the world, the power play and possession of a few hundred [ter'angreal], most of which they have no knowledge how to operate, must seem rich indeed.

Egwene attempts to explain her situation to Melaine, Amys, and Bair, and perhaps unsurprisingly, they strike to the heart of things without much information at all:

" 'There is a thing children do," Melaine said carefully after a time. Her pregnancy did not show yet, but already she had the inner radiance, making her even more beautiful than usual, and an inward, unshakable calm. "Children all want to push spears, and they all want to be the clan chief, but eventually they realize that the clan chief seldom dances the spears himself. So they make a figure and set it on a rise." Off to one side the floor suddenly mounded up, no longer stone tiles but a ridge of sun-baked brown rock. Atop it stood a shape vaguely like a man, made of twisted twigs and bits of cloth. "This is the clan chief who commands them to dance the spears from the hill where he can see the battle. But the children run where they will, and their clan chief is only a figure of sticks and rags." A wind whipped the cloth strips, emphasizing the hollowness of the shape, and then ridge and figure were gone."

Yeah...that is pretty blunt. Poor Egwene. Of course she goes nuts after the next question:

" 'Will you bring these Aes Sedai to kneel to the [Car'a'carn]?' "

We certainly can't have that. No way in hell we can have sisters pulling wool and scratching gravel for the guy who was first among the Servants, sat on the High Seat, and summoned the Nine Rods of Dominion during the last war. Even though Egwene herself will...

Hmm, Egwene tries to grill the Wise Ones about Rand. About Merana, and why she hasn't sent more than one letter, about the White Tower Embassy and why they would simply pack up and go home. The answer is most parents have more trouble with their kids than exists between Rand and the women who came with Merana Ambrey. They didn't technically *lie* since they all swore fealty, but Egwene totally gets Aes Sedai-ed. Egwene sort of forces Amys to promise that they will not interfere with the delegation talking to Rand or Rand talking to them. Of course, no one can really force Amys's angels to do anything, but Egwene does press them pretty hard.

" 'I promise, Egwene al'Vere," Amys said finally, in a voice flat as worked stone.
Probably she was offended that Egwene had required a pledge, but Egwene felt as though a weight had lifted. Two weights. Rand and Merana were not at each other's throats, and Merana would have a chance to do what she had been sent to do. "I knew I'd have the unvarnished truth from you, Amys. I can't tell you how glad I am to hear it. If anything were wrong between Rand and Merana...Thank you."
Startled, she blinked. For an instant, Amys wore [cadin'sor]. She made some sort of small gesture, too. Maiden handtalk, perhaps. Neither Bair nor Melaine, sipping their tea, gave any sign that they had noticed. Amys must have been wishing she were somewhere else, away from the tangle Rand had made of everybody's life. It would be embarrassing, shaming, for a Wise One dreamwalker to lose control of herself in [Tel’aran'rhiod] even for an instant. to the Aiel, shame hurt far worse than pain, but it had to be witnessed to [be] shame. If it was not seen, or those who saw refused to admit it, then it might as well never have happened. A strange people, but she certainly did not want to shame Amys. Composing her face, she went on as if nothing had happened."

It's just a hunch, but I'd bet money that the piece of handtalk was "I have [toh]," the first words a Maiden ever learns, because they are the words a new Maiden will use the most often. Amys has told a whopper to Egwene, but even if the promise is sincere, she's been incredibly deceptive. Egwene fools herself, I think, the Wise Ones code of ethics--do whatever you must, and then pay the price, Egwene follows it herself, but I don't think she ever considers that they will do it back to her. Egwene is the enemy now--well, she is not the enemy but what she represents, the interests of Aes Sedai, those don't coincide with the interests of the Aiel. Egwene gets a little emotional saying how the three of them are rocks in an ever changing world, I guess, "I hope we'll always be friends forever," in not so many words.

" 'The world does change," Amys said, sadly. "Even mountains are worn away by the wind, and no one can climb the same hill twice. I hope we will always be friends in your eyes, Egwene al'Vere. May you always find water and shade." And with that, they were gone, back to their own bodies."

That's sad, it's the end of an era. Afterwards, Egwene goes to sleep but leaves one corner of her mind open, to catalogue her dreams.

"Not all had any bearing on the future. Dreams of kissing Gawyn, of running in a cool spring meadow with her sisters the way they had as children, slid by along with nightmares where Aes Sedai with switches chased her through endless corridors, where misshapen things lurched through shadows all around, where a grinning Nicola denounced her to the Hall and Thom Merrilin came forward to give evidence. Those she discarded, the others she tucked away, to be prodded and poked later in the hope she might understand what they meant. "

It's hard to tell exactly what is a true dream and what is not. Some that seem like common nightmare can have a grain of truth to them. Later, Egwene will be prisoner in the Tower, and there are some strange events going on, as well as the Seanchan's assassins. Nicola is developing a taste for betrayal and double crossing, and who can say what will happen in the future.

"She stood before an immense wall, clawing at it, trying to tear it down with her bare hands. It was not made of brick or stone, but countless thousands of discs, each half white and half black, the ancient symbol of the Aes Sedai, like the seven seals that had once held the Dark One's prison shut. Some of those seals were broken now, though not even the One Power could break [cuendillar], and the rest had weakened somehow, but the wall stood strong however she beat at it. She could not tear it down. Maybe it was the symbol that was important. Maybe it was the Aes Sedai she was trying to tear down, the White Tower. Maybe...."

I think Egwene is right when she keys on the symbol as being important. I believe she's trying to stop or counteract the Hall of the Servants come again. What do I mean by that? Well everything about men and women working together that is not under White Tower auspices. Aes Sedai swearing fealty to Rand. Asha'man bonding Aes Sedai. Aes Sedai bonding Asha'man. Though Egwene fights the Shadow as hard as anyone, she has a vested interest in some ways of NOT having men and women work together. Under Siuan's tutelage she upholds the White Tower and all it stands for. That is, the White Tower as a political entity and THE world power. It isn't even so much about being a true "Aes Sedai" or trying to rediscover past glories, it's about reestablishing the White Tower as the preeminent world power, and reestablishing its own prestige and standing. Everything else takes away from that--Rand, Logain, Asha'man, men and women working together outside the vested authority of the Tower--Logain's group, Cadsuane, Moiraine--et cetera.

"Mat sat on a night-shrouded hilltop, watching a grand Illuminator's display of fireworks, and suddenly his hand shot up, seized one of those bursting lights in the sky. Arrows of fire flashed from his clenched fist, and a sense of dread filled her. Men would die because of this. The world would change But the world [was] changing; it always changed."

Fulfilled. Mat, with Aludra's aid, as put fireworks to military use, as black power do fire cannons. The "Dragons" with their "Dragon Eggs." As far as I'm aware, it's the first time conventional artillery has been used since perhaps the War of Power. There were three huge conflicts that completely destroyed the world and continuously set back military science until it reached its present day nadir: The Breaking, The Trolloc Wars, the Hundred Years War. As well, the Illuminators were completely ruthless about protecting their secrets.

"Straps at waist and shoulder held her tightly to the bock, and the headsman's axe descended, but she knew that somewhere someone was running, and if they ran fast enough, the axe would stop. If not...In that corner of her mind, she felt a chill."

Fulfilled--As far as I know. It was Gawyn coming to save her in the last two books, including when he sprung the trap for Mesaana in Towers of Midnight. If Gawyn hadn't come, Egwene would have died. I don't know how I feel about the two of them. On one had, Gawyn acted like a childish boor, but on the other, after mooning over him endlessly, he shows up, and she acts like a complete b*tch to him. I think she takes the whole, I must be the strong Amyrlin, and nothing else matters, role a bit too far sometimes. That's the way she's always been though--every place she's been she's become that person--initiate of the Tower, "Aes Sedai" in the Stone of Tear, Wise Ones Apprentice.

"Logain, laughing, stepped across something on the ground and mounted a black stone; when she looked down, she thought it was Rand's body he had stepped over, laid out on a funeral bier with his hands crossed at his breast, but when she touched his face, it broke apart like a paper puppet."

Unfilled! We've got to have something to look forward to in the last book, right? The black stone is undoubtedly the address stone, at the Black Tower. Rand will be dead, or will be thought dead, and Logain will ascend to some kind of leadership role at the Black Tower, and perhaps even assume Rand's mantle. Now whether this is something Logain does with Rand's knowledge and acceptance, or something he takes upon himself remains to be seen. While I don't like the idea of Logain double crossing round, it seems like it would be almost better if he thought, if the world thought Rand dead, and he had to do what he had to do. So the world thinks the Dragon dead, and there is no hope, but they are fighting, and they are losing, but the Dragon is not dead, and there's one chance. That one chance. The Lord of the Morning, The Lady of the Lake, The Kesiera Goddess--in the Pit of Doom--that one chance, to win the Last Battle, before it is too late.

"A golden hawk stretched out its wing and touched her, and she and the hawk were tied together somehow, all she knew was that the hawk was female. A man lay dying in a narrow bed, and it was important he not die, yet outside a funeral pyre was being built, and voices raised songs of joy and sadness. A dark young man held an object in his hand that shone so brightly she could not see what it was."

According to the source, only the Seanchan attack on the White Tower has been fulfilled--the rest of Egwene's Seanchan dreams are yet to come. The hawk is almost certainly Tuon--Golden Hawk is the symbol of the imperial family. The man who lay dying drove me crazy. I wasn't sure if it had been fulfilled yet and could not find anything conclusive. To the best of my knowledge, unfilled. Likely candidates are Bashere or perhaps Rand--both have foreshadowing of death in their future, the fact that some people celebrate and some people grieve seems to narrow the likely candidates. The young man is Narishma with [Callandor], though it remains to be seen if retrieving it using it at Shadar Logoth completely fulfilled the vision, or if he will take up [Callandor] again with some position of power and glory yet to come.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fantasy Freaks Forum Forum Index -> The Black Tower All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: