The time now is Thu Oct 18, 2018 3:49 am
View unanswered posts
LoC Ch. 32 “Summoned in Haste”, Ch. 33 “Courage to Strengthe

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fantasy Freaks Forum Forum Index -> The Black Tower
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rhodric
Lord of the Morning

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:52 am
Post subject: LoC Ch. 32 “Summoned in Haste”, Ch. 33 “Courage to Strengthe

LoC Ch. 32 “Summoned in Haste”, Ch. 33 “Courage to Strengthen”

Some things happen like clockwork, the rising and setting sun, the tides, Egwene making a fool of herself. The Sea Folk dunking her is pretty darn hilarious too. It might have been ok if she had walked away but she had to try to dunk them too, displaying massive amounts of saidar for the whole city. Idiot. The most interesting thing about her encounter is the fact that after she lifts the Sea Folk into the air a certain amount, she can’t lift them any higher. I’m not sure if it’s a function of a natural limitation of saidar or of her strength in the power, but I’d say the latter. AFAIK, Siuan, pre-healing could lift 3 times her own body weight, so Egwene lifting 4 people high in the air is probably about right.

Two passages really stuck out to me, not necessarily because of story implications but just because they tickle my fancy. First:

“As soon as egwene disappeared, Rand stepped out from among the columns. He came here sometimes, to look at Callandor. The first visit had been after Asmodean taught him to invert his weaves. Then he had changed the traps laid around the sa’angreal so only he could see them. If the Prophesies could be believed, whoever drew it out would “follow after” him. He was not sure how much he did believe any longer, but there was no sense taking chances.
Lews Therin rumbled somewhere in the back of his head--he always did when Rand came close to Callandor--but tonight the gleaming crystal sword interested Rand not at all. He stared at where the huge map had hung. Not really a map, there at the end, but something more. What was this place? Was it simple chance that drew him here tonight instead of yesterday, or tomorrow? One of his ta’vern tugs on the Pattern? No matter. Egwene had accepted that summons meekly, and that she would never do if it came from the Tower and Elaida. This Salidar was where her mysterious friends were hiding. Where Elayne was. They had handed themselves to him.
Laughing, he opened a gateway to the reflection of the Palace in Caemlyn.”

It didn’t seem so at the time but we really are being beaten over the head with Callandor. I mean Rand isn’t staring at the Choedan Kal after all. Rand can invert his weaves, cool. I think Rand got way more out of Asmodean that the girls got out of Moggy. Of course there was more to learn in a sense - he couldn’t even grasp saidin every time or tell the flows apart before Asmo. What makes me laugh the most though is everyone really: Wise Ones, Aes Sedai, Egwene thinking that these meetings are “safe.” I think Rand is one of the most underestimated people in the series, probably why he is still alive. Of course, he underestimates other people too, which is why he keeps almost dying. I think they call that balance.

I leave you with this:

“When Nalesean entered with Daerid and Talmanes, he greeted them with, “We are going to tickle some Aes Sedai under the chin, rescue a mule, and put a snip-nosed girl on the Lion Throne. Oh, yes. That’s Aviendha. Don’t look at her crosswise, or she’ll try to cut your throat and probably slit her own by mistake.” The woman laughed as if he had made the funniest joke in the world. She did not stop sharpening her knife, though.”
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fantasy Freaks Forum Forum Index -> The Black Tower All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: