The time now is Sun Oct 13, 2019 7:48 pm
View unanswered posts
LoC Ch. 29&30 "Fire and Spirit" & "To

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fantasy Freaks Forum Forum Index -> The Black Tower
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rhodric
Lord of the Morning

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 4:43 pm
Post subject: LoC Ch. 29&30 "Fire and Spirit" & "To

Lots of characters do amazing things, but this is extra amazing because the Forsaken don't think it can be done either. I don't know why healing Severing was never "discovered." If I had to guess though I'd say that its was just too rare. It was the ultimate punishment for an Aes Sedai, but other than that, I don't think people ever got severed really, or even burned out, considering everyone in the entire world was tested between the ages of 10 and 20. The physiology of a man's link to saidin is interesting:

"It was not really a hole, more a feeling that what seemed continuous was not, that what seemed smooth and straight was really skirting around an absence."

And then the hole:

"That emptiness, so small she could pass right over it , was vast once she slipped the flows inside, immense enough to swallow them all."

Definitely the capacity of a channeler to hold the One Power. Here we have something interesting RJ once said about shields and The Bore:

“A shield exists both as a barrier around the entire person and as a single point along with everything in between. (In a way, this is like the Bore, which does not actually exist as Shayol Ghul. The Bore exists everywhere, but Shayol Ghul is the place where it can best be detected. Which is not to say that there is any connection between the Bore and a shield. Both simply exist in different states simultaneously.) Someone who is shielded and trying to get past the shield can "feel" their way along its inner "surface" hunting for weaknesses, such as the points that indicate where the shield is being maintained or has been tied off”

So very interesting. Nyn’s healing of sealing really has nothing to do with the Bore, or “shielding” but she now has experience in doing something that exists in different simultaneously. Rand also has some knowledge to a certain extent from what he did at SL in Winter’s Heart. Considering that the True Source exists at the center of creation and also everywhere at once, both the pipeline he used and the way everyone accesses the source is a length both infinite, and no length at all. The same is true of The Bore. The Shayol Ghul phenomenon is just the only place it can be perceived, cuz the Pattern is *really* bad there. I don’t know if Nyn and/or Rand will actually “heal” the Pattern but if they do, we got the first glimpse here. As to the reasons why Siuan and Leane couldn’t be fully healed, well besides script writer said so and balance to the Pattern…its probably best not to bridge with the substance you want to conduct. Saidar/saidar, saidin/saidin=bad. Remember during the cleansing they repulsed each other. I’d postulate Siuan and Leane have lost access to their “hole” and can only hold the residual amount that just being able to embrace to source allows. I’ll leave you with this, Nyn says she wishes she could “slap all of their faces,” (Aes Sedai) and I’m sure we all couldn’t agree more.
Big Bubba
Slayer of Unreads

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:16 pm
Post subject: Re: LoC Ch. 29&30 "Fire and Spirit" & &

Rhodric wrote:
I’ll leave you with this, Nyn says she wishes she could “slap all of their faces,” (Aes Sedai) and I’m sure we all couldn’t agree more.

So say we all.
Patrick
Sleepless Sonneteer

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 11:02 pm
Post subject:

Oooh bro, I like that theory. Makes good sense. So...maybe Rand healing the Bore may be something like him breaking out of the box in LoC, writ large: feel along the shield, find the foci (the seals), smash them open, hold the Great Lo--I mean Dark One back ling enough, and then repair the Pattern?

Considering it took Rand and Nyn with the CL to cleanse the Taint, and the access keys are now destroyed, I can easily see Rand (and Nyn? Or maybe Alivia?) channeling so much of the Power that it kills them.

Agree re: Aes Sedai. I just got to the part in TFoH where Siuan and Co. ride into Salidar, and an audible groan was heard at 212 Center St.

On a mountain of skulls in a castle of pain, I sat on a throne of blood. What was will be, what is will be no more. Now is the season of evil!
Rhodric
Lord of the Morning

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:49 am
Post subject:

Something like that sounds plausible, I just don't like the theories that Rand just kinda stands there and its his ta'verness or something about his presence that makes the difference, while Nyn or another female Aes Sedai does all the work. Seems wrong somehow. I don't think its going to be a matter of brute One Power usage. LTT and the 100 Companions were able to seal the Bore without linking, which ironically was much harder and took a lot more skill, so I think that Callandor will suffice. There's got to be some secret.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fantasy Freaks Forum Forum Index -> The Black Tower All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: