Dragon's Path
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kheltan
Silky Smooth Since Seventeen

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 2:22 pm
Post subject:

Off-Topic...

All of this talk of pseudonyms and co-authors has made me wonder: what is preventing an author from "co-authoring" his/her own book using multiple pseudonyms? I think I'd have to buy such a book on principle alone to support the tongue-in-cheek cleverness of the author(s).

...Return to topic

Alle
The First Evil

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 7:08 pm
Post subject:

Big Bubba wrote:
Alle wrote:
Patrick: so the author of Abbadon's Gate is Daniel Abraham? lol He has an epic fantasy name, an urban name and a sci-fi one? I hope he doesn't branch out into other sub-genres...he may run out of ideas for names. I guess he was running our since his UF name is MLN Hanover...initials are easier. ;-p

Not that my name is Patrick, but yes, Daniel Abraham is a co-author of Abaddon's Gate. The other part of the team is Ty Franck, which may be a familiar name to you.

But your pseudonym could be Patrick! ;-p

Why would someone want to coauthor their own book using another pseudonym Khel? lol Maybe you should do that.
Excalibur

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 11:53 pm
Post subject:

i was just trying to get some pointers from her on some good books. i consider myself an experienced fantasy reader too to the common public. i notice that i have found avid fantasy readers like myself in here that have read alot more than i have. im more of an interemediate fantasy reader. compared to other fantasy readers. i have read alot of authors over time but still do not read and burn through books as fast as some that like to read fantasy too. since u guys claim u have read alot of fantasy i was just curious what books you like cause i always like to find a good read. dont get all triped up.
Excalibur

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 11:56 pm
Post subject:

maybe if they have different author names they try to start out fresh if there other books by their other names didnt do so well. i think robin hobb goes by another name as well.
Alle
The First Evil

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 2:26 pm
Post subject:

Excalibur wrote:
i was just trying to get some pointers from her on some good books. i consider myself an experienced fantasy reader too to the common public. i notice that i have found avid fantasy readers like myself in here that have read alot more than i have. im more of an interemediate fantasy reader. compared to other fantasy readers. i have read alot of authors over time but still do not read and burn through books as fast as some that like to read fantasy too. since u guys claim u have read alot of fantasy i was just curious what books you like cause i always like to find a good read. dont get all triped up.

Well alrighty then! I wasn't getting 'triped up.' I was wondering what difference it made if one proclaimed themselves to be an 'experienced' or not fantasy reader. Frankly, my opinion is still valid even if a book is the first fantasy I ever read. You may not agree with it, and that is fine and expected.

Secondly, I was miffed more at your statement about being 'closed minded' when it came to the Sullivan books, when in fact, I had stuck it out through four of them.

Have you tried the Rothfuss books? What about Brent Weeks? I have a feeling you would like both his series, although the second one is unfinished still.
Excalibur

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 9:57 am
Post subject:

brent weeks was just ok to me. its one of those books i can read through, but i dont get absorbed in trying to find out what happens next. i think i got to the last 2 chapters and stopped reading. Maybe i got sidetracked on something else. Fantasy books with the assassin theme are cool to me cause i think of ninjas or something. the main dude in that one chewed garlic all the time and was tall and lanky. just not my idea of a cool ninja type character, and the writing was ok. im gonna wait for patrick to finish his final book before i begin reading. i could begin reading it but prefer not to with so much other fantasy out and authors i like to read having stuff. i got the idea that u and calyena were very experienced readers from reading your messages, and that sullivans books just did not come close to the greats u have read. when almost everyone didnt like it and just had derogatory statements about it most of the time it was kinda hard for me to believe. i didnt mean to get caught up in an argueing match. i really want to read rothfuss though, looks really interesting.
Caleyna
Queen of Silliness

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 10:51 am
Post subject:

Ok, your post about me being experienced came across as sarcastic to me but maybe you did not mean it that way at all.

What type of fantasy do you like? Most of the fantasy I like is fairly complex in nature and can take some getting used to. In fact, I didn't like some of my favorites on the first go around because the language was so dense.

Some of my favorites in no particular order:
Lions of Al'Rassan or Tigana by Guy Gavriel Kaye
The Daughter of the Empire series by Raymond Feist and Janny Wurts (the books that got me into fantasy, so they are probably not as good as I remember)
Anything by Carol Berg
The Deverry series by Katherine Kerr (the first couple of books are not that great, but overall the series is breathtaking and completely amazing)
Born Queen series by Gregory Keyes
Coldfire triology by CS Freidman
Magister series by CS Freidman
Nightrunner and Tamir Triad by Lynn Flewlling
Bridge of Birds by Barry Hughart
Inversions by Ian Banks
American Gods by Neil Gaiman

That should be a start!
Lannie
Colonel Chatterbox

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 9:28 pm
Post subject:

ok, The Daughter of the Empire series is still as totally awesome as you remember it, Caly. I can't believe how often I re-read it. I could probably quote from it. I didn't keep any of the other books from Ray Feist's Riftwar Cycle (I stopped reading somewhere after the Serpentwar Saga in the early 2000s), but the Wurts-Feist trilogy is still a favourite.

I only keep my absolute favourites due a space issue (I haven't converted to ebooks yet, even though I have one). Based on that, my favourites include:
The Kushiel's books (Phedre Saga) by Jacqueline Carey
Tamir Triad - Lynn Flewelling (highly recommend!) and the Nightrunner books
Kage Baker's Company Books (In the Garden of Iden is first, but is nothing like the rest, they get quite sci-fi dominant)
Jane Lindskold's Wolf Series (although they start losing me after #3)
Katharine Kerr's Deverry series

None of the above are very assassin-ninja kind of books, although the Kushiel series is full of spies and intrigue (and very adult themes as they say).

Something new (for me) i'm reading is Peter Brett's Warded Man series. I've only read book 1, but I'm waiting for my sister to finish book 2. You might like it if you like ninja-assassin-fighting.

There's been a lot in this chain - can't remember if anyone has suggested Jim Butcher's Codex Alera. Although it's your basic epic fantasy, I found it fun and enjoyable.
Caleyna
Queen of Silliness

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:18 am
Post subject:

Ninja-Assassin fighting: Across the Nightengale Floor.
Excalibur

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 6:03 pm
Post subject:

ive read almost half of those books you mentioned and all of them were really good. thanks for the all the suggestions, some of them i havent read i have been wanting to read myself!
Alle
The First Evil

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 8:11 pm
Post subject:

I only suggested Weeks, since a lot of people who liked Sullivan, liked Weeks too. *shrug* I didn't like Weeks's much for a lot of the same reasons I didn't care for Sullivan's series. Weeks' second trilogy is at least different in magic system and setting, but it is of a similar quality. The end of the second book though was enough to look at finishing the series once it is done.

I finished the new Neil Gaiman (good but not as good as I was hoping) and am now into The Tyrant's Law. Too many books, too little time for reading.
Excalibur

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 11:34 pm
Post subject:

yeah sullivans and weeks writing is kinda similar. weeks was not all that bad i guess. sometimes i dont end up finishing my books. game of thrones i got to the very last chapter and did not finish it. i get caught up on something else and forgot about it. i got weeks on the bookshelf so i might give it another go. i might even go buy this dragons path and check it out. i might even start patrick rothfuss up but it sucks reading the books and its a cliffhanger and im all sucked into the story and i cant read the next one. Than by the time the next book comes out i forgot alot of details so its hard to get reacquanted with it sometimes. the deverry books have been out a great while, ive got them on my backlog to read too. ive read raymond feist. not sure which books. i remember there was this seductive hottie in it. so many choices...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fantasy Freaks Forum Forum Index -> Bookish All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: