The time now is Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:23 pm
View unanswered posts
Let's spice the place up a bit...

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jade
Seven of Jade

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 1:37 pm
Post subject: Let's spice the place up a bit...

when browsing a writers forum, I came across a thread about irritating cliches that everyone is tired of.

It was specific to Urban Fantasy, but it certainly doesn't have to be.

Anyway, someone brought up cover art, and this just cracked me up, because I despise almost all the cover art for urban fantasy where the main character is a woman.

http://www.jimchines.com/2012/01/striking-a-pose/

Now I totally want to try out some of the poses I've seen *lol* But it won't be nearly as funny as him doing it.

Sad to say, my own novel does fit a couple of the cliches people have been listing, but I've avoided most of them.

Kickass female red-headed heroine, yes.

Terrible romance subplot, poor self-esteem, "unaware of true nature until X happens", all about vampires and werewolves - NO

The self-esteem issue really bugs me (ie the attractive female who is convinced she's ugly and worthless). So does the "really oldl vampire-type falling for teenage girl" thing, even though I was a Buffy fan. Maybe because I was a Buffy fan... *lol*

I enjoyed the Anita Blake series, at least at the beginning, but all of her ridiculously beautiful men with really long hair make me really pissed off. Her obsession with having long arguments analyzing everything her boyfriends do or say to her (which frequently happens in the middle of a sex scene) was the tipping point that made me stop reading...

Vampires and werewolves make me yawn. There's so much good mythology out there, use some freaking imagination!

Anyone else got gripes they want to get off their chest?

Jade

connor
the thief catcher

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 7:05 pm
Post subject:

On the subject of female characters having low self-esteem i completely agree with you. The topic has been over done, and it seems to me that the more generalised protagonists are as having 'low self-esteem' the more this juxtaposes( sorry, my favourite word after antithesis) reality.

Also, on the point about mythology, I think people should revert back to reading Greek literature. For example Euripides' Heracles shows fantasy in a deeper more meaningful way then any vampire shizzle ever could ( almost swore there, hypothetical apologies). The struggle with human mortality shouldn't be watered down or diminished by lackluster writing about werewolves to make dollar.
Patrick
Sleepless Sonneteer

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 10:53 am
Post subject:

I would like to take this opportunity to rant about stupid vampire romance novels, which I believe are ruining the fantasy genre by sticking their bloodsucking, bodice-ripping noses in where they do not belong. Very many of my friends, including my best friend at school (omg I'm done with school...cue existential crisis!) are addicted to them, and think they're the most awesome hardcore fantasy lit ever.

UGH. It's not even fantasy lit! It's crappy romance with the undead substituted for, I don't know, long-haired Italian pirates in leather pants? (I will admit I am not overly familiar with romance novels, except that they all seem to have Fabio on the cover. On the other hand, I'd do Fabio.) It'd be like slapping Vulcan ears on random characters in a chick flick and calling it sci-fi!

Speaking of sci-fi, I am writing my own sci-fi novel. It's about a probate attorney on Mars in the 23rd Century who gets caught up in some interplanetary intrigue against the backdrop of humanity's first alien encounter. Yes, you read that right!

But really now...I just don't get the appeal of vampire romance. They're monsters. They're evil. There's usually a creepy giant age disparity. And yes, I liked Buffy too, but Buffy was different! How? I don't know! Maybe because back then Buffy was a show that was generally watched by nerds, whereas nowadays vampire romance is read and enjoyed not only by dreamy-eyed Southern law students [sigh] and dreamy-eyed teenagers, but also by dreamy-eyed folks who wouldn't know Tolkien from Terry Goodkind? Folks who balk at reading high fantasy because "it's kid stuff" or "it's not serious literature?"

Grr. This Cipro makes Pat angry!

On a mountain of skulls in a castle of pain, I sat on a throne of blood. What was will be, what is will be no more. Now is the season of evil!
Rhodric
Lord of the Morning

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 4:24 pm
Post subject:

How many of these dreamy-eyed twits do you think has actually read Bram Stoker's Dracula.
connor
the thief catcher

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 5:06 pm
Post subject:

Someone in my literature class last year actually told me that Dracula was worse than twighlight. Though in her defence, I'm pretty sure she didn't read Dracula.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fantasy Freaks Forum Forum Index -> Bookish All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: