The time now is Sat Sep 22, 2018 6:09 am
View unanswered posts
Anybody have most of Holdstock's books?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Daeron

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 3:02 pm
Post subject: Anybody have most of Holdstock's books?

I'm trying to get some information on three of Robert Holdstock's books that are out of print and hard to get:

The Bone Forest
Merlin's Wood
Necromancer

Anybody happen to have a copy of one of those books and willing to tell me a bit about them?

Thanks!
ThrillKillBill

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 4:36 pm
Post subject: Re: Anybody have most of Holdstock's books?

Daeron wrote:
I'm trying to get some information on three of Robert Holdstock's books that are out of print and hard to get:

The Bone Forest: (The third book in the Mythago Wood series)
A collection of stories by Robert Holdstock
A companion work to Mythago Wood and Lavondyss. This book is a collection of stories including the novella The Bone Forest, which precedes events in Mythago Wood. It explores the idea of a patch of primal English woodland in which figures of myth take solid form.
((source: Fantasticfiction.co.uk))

Merlin's Wood: (The fifth book in the Mythago Wood series)
A novel by Robert Holdstock
In the depths of Broceliande - an ancient French woodland - Merlin and the enchantress Vivien play out their deadly feud. Martin and Rebecca are ensnared by the forest's net of enchantment, and she is sucked into its twilight world.
((source: Fantasticfiction.co.uk))

Necromancer:
Creepy and worth tracking down July 7, 2003
By ZombiKitty
I have been a Robert Holdstock fan ever since reading the novel _Mythago Wood_ and the short story "The Ragthorn Tree." Holdstock's books aren't always the easiest to locate, so I was very excited when I found a copy of this book. I wasn't disappointed. I found the book to be genuinely creepy.
The basic premise is that in the ruins of a burned down church, there is a stone font in which a woman believes the soul of her son to be trapped, despite the fact that her son is still alive. The only person who believes her at all is a researcher whom is also a "sensitive." The are those who believe the font to be evil, and there there have been several suicides committed near it. The plot evolves from there to encompass ESP, demons, ancient protectors, and possession.
I really enjoyed the book and the ideas put forth in it, though I found it to be a bit awkwardly written in many places, which is why I gave the book 4 stars instead of 5. Some scenes were a bit confusing and there were words and phrases that were used repeatedly within the same paragraph or two, almost as if there were no editor. I found that to be a little distracting at times, but I would still recommend the book.
((source: Amazoncom book review))

Anybody happen to have a copy of one of those books and willing to tell me a bit about them?

Thanks!

Ya born alone
Ya die alone
And still we live on
Yesterday is a memory
Tomorrow is a vision
But today
it's a b*tch
Yesterday is a memory
Tomorrow is a vision
But today
it's a b*tch
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fantasy Freaks Forum Forum Index -> Bookish All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: