The time now is Sun Oct 13, 2019 9:00 pm
View unanswered posts
Game of Thrones discussion for season 2 (Assume spoilers)
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fantasy Freaks Forum Forum Index -> Moving Pictures
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jade
Seven of Jade

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 12:01 pm
Post subject: Game of Thrones discussion for season 2 (Assume spoilers)

I don't have a lot to say, but I figured with the board so dead, we ought to get a thread started!

It's a good start so far! I like Arya and Gendry, they work well together - I tihnk that story arc is pretty much just how I imagined it! Tyrion, as always, is just perfect. I liked Brienne - holy crap is she tall! And seriously broad shoulders! Even though I'm sure it's partly padded out with costuming, she definitely fits the part (not quite ugly enough, naturally, but we can't have ugly people on TV)

So, here we go again with Renly and Loras... But I have to admit, I liked Margaery's directness *lol* In the books I always felt she was just sweet and naive or something, but then in the books I never noticed that Renly was gay... But that was great - "would you like my brother to come in and get you started?"

Anyway. This week's episode seemed really short. But I'm definitely liking season 2 so far!

Jade

julie
Wicked Wisdom

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 5:17 pm
Post subject:

Jade, I concur on all that you said. I have noticed a few little changes to the storyline that I am assuming were meant to move things along a little faster (for example, the attack on the group of recruits headed to the Wall). But I am totally at a loss as to why they changed Asha Greyjoy's name to Lara or Yara or something like that. My son says it's probably to keep her from being confused with Osha the wildling at Winterfell. I guess.

I enjoyed watching Tyrion play out his little 'find the leak' game this past week. Although I really think they should have made the Maester's beard more luxurious. It wasn't nearly as shaming for him to have that little wispy mess chopped off as it was in the book when he had a giant ZZ Top style a beard.

They are being really obvious about a lot of things that were much more subtle in the books - again, not the kind of time to develop subtleties in a 10 episode miniseries. And I agree that Magary is more interesting in this version of her.

Did you see the SNL skit about GoT last Saturday? It was great!
Jade
Seven of Jade

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 6:58 pm
Post subject:

I don't usually watch SNL, but I went and looked it up...

oh boy. *lmao* Spot on. I think that pretty much sums up my thoughts on most of the scenes involving Petyr Baelish in any way.

I would actually think they were making those scenes up for the sake of the satire - if I didn't know better *lol* Oh HBO *sigh*
I'm impressed you watch this stuff with your family, Julie *g*

Jade

ThrillKillBill

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 10:06 pm
Post subject:

I have been enjoying the series very much, and given the fact I have not yet read the books, everything is very fascinating... almost enough for me to get over my irritation that G.R.R.Martin seems to have no desire to finish the series and I have little desire to be stuck in another series that cliffhangs while we wait forever for the next installment... almost. I even own the first two books, they sit there on the shelf mocking me, daring me to ignore my reservations and plunge into the rich fantasy world.

Ya born alone
Ya die alone
And still we live on
Yesterday is a memory
Tomorrow is a vision
But today
it's a b*tch
Yesterday is a memory
Tomorrow is a vision
But today
it's a b*tch
Jade
Seven of Jade

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 10:44 am
Post subject:

as good as the tv show is, the book is so much better... And I feel a little sad for you that you will miss out on a lot of the suspense when you do read the books, since you'll know too much ahead of time. I will never forget the shock and outrage that first time at the end of the first book...

I totally understand your hesitation to delve into an unfinished series, especially since GRRM is doing such a bad job of finishing it. I'm honestly hoping that the time constraints of the tv show (4 years before they catch up!) will give him the kick in the ass that he needs... But I'm probably too much of an optimist.

But being a read-the-book-first traditionalist as I am, I would almost say to wait until the series is finished, and then read the books, and then watch the tv show. *lol*

Jade

Alle
The First Evil

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 1:50 pm
Post subject:

Jade I sometimes wonder if GRRM isn't waiting for the series to catch up to the books and then write their own ending that he can use to finish the books. ;-p
ThrillKillBill

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 7:45 pm
Post subject:

Alle wrote:
Jade I sometimes wonder if GRRM isn't waiting for the series to catch up to the books and then write their own ending that he can use to finish the books. ;-p

THIS... is internet gold!

Ya born alone
Ya die alone
And still we live on
Yesterday is a memory
Tomorrow is a vision
But today
it's a b*tch
Yesterday is a memory
Tomorrow is a vision
But today
it's a b*tch
Patrick
Sleepless Sonneteer

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 8:27 pm
Post subject:

By the Great Lord of the Dark's brimstone -stained underpants, guys, don't give GRRM any ideas!

On a mountain of skulls in a castle of pain, I sat on a throne of blood. What was will be, what is will be no more. Now is the season of evil!
Xinpheld
Bird Man of Alka-Seltzer

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 7:20 am
Post subject:

"Game of thrones-- with special appearance by the New York Jets!"

I'm not digging that they made Margery kind of a creeper. The heavy-handedness with which they've been dealing with Renly's... situation has been kind of distracting. American writers have no sense of subtlety at all. I'm also sad but not surprised that they left the rainbow cloaks off Renly's Kingsguard. That's not an unwarranted uproar they wanted to deal with, I'm sure.

Am I misremembering the order of those who were running Harrenhall? I only ask because if they don't feature Vargo Hoat during this time, I will be very sad.

Danny's arrival at Quarth was positively lame. It was the opposite of the grandeur I had expected.

I find myself overall wishing that this were some other story so I could just enjoy the show without constantly making comparisons.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Excalibur

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:29 pm
Post subject:

so how is that series. is it really as good as everyone says it is? I know the book was just ok, I dont know what all the hype was about.
Patrick
Sleepless Sonneteer

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 3:03 pm
Post subject:

I just got my laptop back yesterday, and that means I can finally watch season 2! Hooray! Thank the Great Lord of the Dark for BitTorrent!

Also, anyone wanna do Saturday night chat? ;)

On a mountain of skulls in a castle of pain, I sat on a throne of blood. What was will be, what is will be no more. Now is the season of evil!
Patrick
Sleepless Sonneteer

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 3:10 pm
Post subject:

Excalibur wrote:
so how is that series. is it really as good as everyone says it is? I know the book was just ok, I dont know what all the hype was about.

For a TV fantasy series, it's really good, actually; the writing is solid, the acting is mostly great (especially Peter Dinklage as Tyrion), the dialogue doesn't grate on the ears, and it's more or less faithful to the books. I have my quibbles with it, but all in all it's great.

Personally, I thought AGoT was good, but I didn't really get into the series until I read ASoS.

Patrick
Sleepless Sonneteer

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 12:14 pm
Post subject:

Finally catching up now that classes are over (FOREVER!!!). Just watched Theon find out he'd been molesting his sister. UGH CREEPY D:

ThrillKillBill

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 2:30 pm
Post subject:

Patrick wrote:
Finally catching up now that classes are over (FOREVER!!!). Just watched Theon find out he'd been molesting his sister. UGH CREEPY D:

It was only the one time... and it's really his sister's fault, she let him and she knew!

Do you think this was more creepy or less creepy the the Lannisters?

Ya born alone
Ya die alone
And still we live on
Yesterday is a memory
Tomorrow is a vision
But today
it's a b*tch
Yesterday is a memory
Tomorrow is a vision
But today
it's a b*tch
Jade
Seven of Jade

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 1:26 am
Post subject:

I think this is more creepy. Jaime and Cersei might be twisted, but I guess they love each other in their sick twisted way. Whereas Theon's sister knew who he was and let him do it, I think purely because she got some kind of perverted pleasure out of humiliating him.

Yeah, Theon was a total dick in the books too, but somehow on screen I despise him even more. (for a brief moment an episode or two ago I felt sorry for him for a second, and then I remembered what's coming, and that was the end of sympathy.)

Jade

Xinpheld
Bird Man of Alka-Seltzer

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 10:57 am
Post subject:

I think it's a testament to the writers of the TV show that there do not seem to be any likable female characters in the show at all, save for Arya. I recall liking Asha to some degree in the books, but so far I don't like this Yarra at all. Asha was pretty charismatic (and very competent), which was why she had any following at all on Pyke. And I think the writers are trying too hard to make Theon seem sympathetic, just a poor boy longing for his daddy's love. Whatever. He's always been a kraken in wolf's clothing.

As for Danny, she seems like she's about to fall in love with every good-looking guy she meets, which is more writer's supposed TV-adaptability work. Again, whatever.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Patrick
Sleepless Sonneteer

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 12:26 pm
Post subject:

ThrillKillBill wrote:
Patrick wrote:

It was only the one time... and it's really his sister's fault, she let him and she knew!

Do you think this was more creepy or less creepy the the Lannisters?

I agree with Jade, it's creepier, because the Lannister twins were messed up to begin with, and always have been, and at least they do fully know what they're doing. Theon didn't, was obviously shocked by it, and the coy little look she gave him when he found out was just creepy as hell.

I cracked up when Balon made the remark of "did Ned Stark dress you up as his daughter?" Smug little bastard deserved that. For some weird reason I really grew to like the Iron Islanders, even though I remember disliking them when I first read CoK. I was disappointed that they didn't include Aeron Damphair, because he may be crazy, but he's badass crazy.

Re: women...I don't think GRRM intended most of the major female characters to be sympathetic. Catelyn comes as as bitter and angry (though who can blame her?), Cersei is power-mad and frankly stupid, Melisandre is crazy and manipulative, etc. Not that all his male characters are nice guys, either, but yeah...I think it's discussed before that he seems to have a problem with female characters. I thought Dany was a sympathetic character, up until DwD....

Patrick
Sleepless Sonneteer

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 1:23 pm
Post subject:

Sheesh...watching ep. 3. I was getting sympathetic with Sansa, until she treated Shae like a doormat. Spoiled little brat....

Jade
Seven of Jade

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 11:05 pm
Post subject:

Yeah, I agree, mostly the lack of good female characters can be laid entirely at GRRM's feet. The only exceptions have always been Dany and Arya. Sansa is often a sympathetic character - you certainly feel for her during this whole period with Joffrey - but not really likeable, and frequently annoying as hell.

I guess maybe Dany doesn't come off quite as strong in the show as in the books... I liked her in season 1 more than I do in season 2 so far, I think. But then, not that much has really happened yet. (I haven't read DwD, so no comment)

And I agree about Theon's sister, I also liked her in the books, and in the show she seems a bit too ... I don't know, arrogant? Sneering? I can't quite think of the right adjective.

Interesting, isn't it, that the two decent female characters are what, 9 and 13 years old at the start of GoT? *lol*

Well, anyway. I've never been one of those women bothered by a lack of female characters - or I wouldn't have ended up a fantasy fan, would I? I think it's not a "lack" of female characters that bothers me so much as some of the male writers who obviously just don't get women and can't write from their PoV convincingly. (RJ, Eddings, to name the first people to pop into my head). GRRM can at least create believable characters with depth, male or female.

On the subject of women in fantasy... Especially in modern or urban fantasy, there seems to be a divide of books with either a male lead or a female lead. And I have really enjoyed some examples from both camps. But why is it that the ones with heroines always have to have a bigger romance and sex component, not to mention ridiculous covers with women wearing "tough but revealing" clothing ??

In my occasional searches for decent reading material in the library ebook collection, I have found (to my dismay) an enormous contingent of books in the "fantasy" section that are actually just paranormal romance. Or they're actually just crap. Or both.

Anyhoo... I think I'm getting off topic *lol*

Jade

Xinpheld
Bird Man of Alka-Seltzer

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 7:42 am
Post subject:

Jade wrote:
On the subject of women in fantasy... Especially in modern or urban fantasy, there seems to be a divide of books with either a male lead or a female lead. And I have really enjoyed some examples from both camps. But why is it that the ones with heroines always have to have a bigger romance and sex component, not to mention ridiculous covers with women wearing "tough but revealing" clothing ??

In my occasional searches for decent reading material in the library ebook collection, I have found (to my dismay) an enormous contingent of books in the "fantasy" section that are actually just paranormal romance. Or they're actually just crap. Or both.

Anyhoo... I think I'm getting off topic *lol*

Jade

That's one of the things I liked about Katniss in the Hunger Games--
Click here to see the hidden message (It might contain spoilers)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fantasy Freaks Forum Forum Index -> Moving Pictures All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: