The time now is Sun Oct 13, 2019 8:52 pm
View unanswered posts
Networks jumping on the fantasy bandwagon

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fantasy Freaks Forum Forum Index -> Moving Pictures
View previous topic :: View next topic  
julie
Wicked Wisdom

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 5:23 pm
Post subject: Networks jumping on the fantasy bandwagon

The other night I caught an ad for a new show coming on ABC this fall called Once Upon A Time and then I saw that NBC is coming out with something called Grimm. Grimm is by the guys who did Angel and OUaT is by those b@st@ards who tormented and disappointed me with LOST.

Anybody else seen any scoop, got any opinions, think you might watch? I will resist like Jean Luc Picard!!!!!!
Jade
Seven of Jade

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 2:09 am
Post subject:

aha, all thanks to GRRM!
Well, not *all* thanks. I'm sure LotR and Harry Potter helped. And stupid freaking Twilight etc.
Supernatural stuff in tv has been fringe-popular for a long time (see Buffy, X Files, etc), but for real fantasy, Game of Thrones was really a first for television. Let's hope it starts a trend of other tv shows taken seriously with real directors and actors, and not the crap that sci-fi (I refuse to call them Syfy) mostly peddles.

Bah to JJ Abrams. He's a great movie director, but I don't think I ever want to watch another of his tv shows. Alias was just like Lost, started out super awesome, but then all the plot twists and stuff just got way out of control. He doesn't know how to plan endings!

When you say "guys who did Angel", I mean, you know that Whedon is the only person who matters, right?
*lol* just kidding, I guess, I'll certainly give it a chance.

I just went on a bizarre kick of watching Canadian original tv shows. There are a couple that are actually freaking good!

Not fantasy in the slightest, but I recommend a show called Intelligence. It's on Netflix. It's not your average show, it's got a lot of characters and lots of complicated politics and backstabbing and intrigue and stuff going on all at once, so you have to really pay attention, but it's a good show!

Then I got mildly hooked on a show called Republic of Doyle, because it was a private investigator actiony show set in Newfoundland. I mean, come on, that has to be pretty ridiculous, right? And yeah, it was. It was a bit silly, and wow, I never knew so many people were murdered in Newfy! (har har, just like the amazing number of murders that apparently happen in Santa Barbara, if anyone out there watches Psych - someone is brutally killed every week, dontcha know?)
But it was entertaining. Fun characters. Funny accents.

Oh, and apparently Russell Crowe is going to be in the third season. Yes, really. He's apparently friends with the guys on this show from the Robin Hood movie.

But anyway. That's a total tangent. Those two shows have completely distracted me from getting any of my work done the last few days, but I have now pretty much finished watching all the episodes I've got, and now it's past midnight, which explains why I'm writing such a rambly post without enough punctuation, so maybe I should just stop right here.

Yeah, maybe.

Anyway. I'll have to check out the Grimm show when it airs. And for all you Netflix folks out there, if you're interested in a show with (har har) some intelligence, check out Intelligence. And you can laugh at how lame Canada's spy agency is.

But don't laugh at the concept of Vancouver mob bosses and gang wars. Cause that s*&#'s real.

Jade

ThrillKillBill

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 11:30 am
Post subject:

**cough** Sword of Truth series did it before game of thrones **cough**

Ya born alone
Ya die alone
And still we live on
Yesterday is a memory
Tomorrow is a vision
But today
it's a b*tch
Yesterday is a memory
Tomorrow is a vision
But today
it's a b*tch
Xinpheld
Bird Man of Alka-Seltzer

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 1:18 pm
Post subject:

Just imagine if HBO had done the Sword of Truth series. TortureFest!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Jade
Seven of Jade

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 1:42 pm
Post subject:

no no, you misunderstand me.

I wasn't saying Game of Thrones was the first epic fantasy to be made into TV. I was saying it was the first time anyone did it and took it seriously.

Just like LotR was not the first fantasy movie, not even close. But it was the first time anyone did it with a good budget, great actors and directing and everything else, and (for the most part) staying true to the original books.

I don't know how well the Sword of Truth series stuck to the books (I never read the series, and I couldn't stomach more than a few episodes of the tv show), but they definitely didn't take it seriously. Bad acting, bad directing, ridiculously bad dialogue and all sorts of cliches and melodrama. Much like Eragon (not that Eragon the book was totally amazing, but they did an awful job with the movie).

It's funny - every time someone takes on the genre and takes it seriously, putting in real effort into the script, it's a huge hit. LotR, HP, Game of Thrones - and I would use Batman Begins and Dark Knight as another example. So many of the comic book superhero movies are just all Hollywood one-liners and posing and they end up being stupid, and half of them tank in the box office. When someone takes the effort to do it properly it's a huge hit - critically acclaimed *and* box-office numbers, what a novel concept!

Why can't Hollywood *learn* from these freaking examples?

Jade

ThrillKillBill

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 2:38 pm
Post subject:

Because they know that the title alone will cause high ticket sales...why should they spend more to make it really well when that would cut into their "greed" profits...sad but true.

In the same since Hollywood is taking classic great films and re-doing them with dumbed down scripts and crappy acting but adding tons of CGI/special effects because they know ppl with say "I remember "The Day the Earth Stood Still" as a kid...I loved it and they are remaking it! OMG! this is cool" but it wasn't was it? (one exception was "True Grit"...while it was not as good as the John Wayne version...Jeff Bridges did a really great job with it.

Ya born alone
Ya die alone
And still we live on
Yesterday is a memory
Tomorrow is a vision
But today
it's a b*tch
Yesterday is a memory
Tomorrow is a vision
But today
it's a b*tch
ThrillKillBill

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 11:57 pm
Post subject:

though I guess it should be called Throne of Games instead

Ya born alone
Ya die alone
And still we live on
Yesterday is a memory
Tomorrow is a vision
But today
it's a b*tch
Yesterday is a memory
Tomorrow is a vision
But today
it's a b*tch
Caleyna
Queen of Silliness

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 7:57 am
Post subject:

I'll probably watch both those shows, at least at first. I don't want to watch more J. J. Abrams, but when he's good he's so very good. And then it all falls apart and I curse his name. He really needs to stick with movies.
Jade
Seven of Jade

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 12:45 pm
Post subject:

So, anyone watch Grimm?

I went into it with hopes but not high expectations, but I actually liked it - a lot more than Once Upon A Time. I felt like it had just the right touch of mystery and suspense and off-beat humor. I mean, there are a few things - obviously he's going to always be trying to hide the truth from the girlfriend and the partner, and they're going to always be suspicious. It would be easy for things to become really predictable. And without really giving anything away, the bad guy at the end of the episode didn't exactly surprise me.

But the sneak peak at the rest of the season looked interesting, so I'm hopeful!
Thoughts?

Jade

Alle
The First Evil

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 5:05 pm
Post subject:

I didn't watch OUaT, because the previews looked dumb, but did watch Grimm since some former Angel people were involved. I liked the pilot, although it could be lots better...at least it has potential. The bad part is that now it will be up against Fringe, and I want both shows to be successful. Plus now I have to record one and I hate doing that.

As for Fantasy shows on TV...well there have been quite a few genre shows well before GoT. And since Lost was a success, there have been even more, although they have failed. So while the success of GoT will ensure networks seeking out more genre shows in the future, I don't think it was the only reason for more genre shows debuting this year.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fantasy Freaks Forum Forum Index -> Moving Pictures All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: