The time now is Thu Nov 14, 2019 11:41 pm
View unanswered posts
HBO's A Game of Thrones [spoilers through end of 1st book!]

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fantasy Freaks Forum Forum Index -> Moving Pictures
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Xinpheld
Bird Man of Alka-Seltzer

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 7:02 am
Post subject: HBO's A Game of Thrones [spoilers through end of 1st book!]

It took me horse of painstaking work, but I managed to start a spoiler thread for GoT:S1.

I really wish Viserys was crazier/meaner. It's going to have much less an impact then he 'gets his crown', unless we truly start hating him at Joffrey levels. At this point, he just seems a little bitchy and desperate. I don't think there's enough of the Targaryen Crazy coming through. I don't blame the actor, so much as him not having enough character space. But as of the end of episode 3, it may be too late. All he's really got left is the feast at the meeting grounds, where he gets his crown.

I'm worried that the show is going to start getting slogged down toward the second half of the season, when intrigue rules the day. There's a long stint of wringing of hands and writing of letters, mainly after Tyrion takes his pet Bronn back to King's Landing. I guess there's going ot be a lot glossed over or heavily encapsulated in the near future.

Really, what I'm looking forward to most is the big finale with Dany, with the witch and the fire and the eggs. That's going to be pretty sweet. I wonder how the actress who plays her will look bald.

I'm also looking forward to next season already, especially the Battle of Blackwater. I wonder too, who they're going to get to play Melisendre and Stannis. In my head, Stannis has been a younger Patrick Stewart.

So ok, get all those things out that you couldn't in the other thread. What's working? What's not? What parts are you looking forward to?

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
ThrillKillBill

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 1:05 pm
Post subject:

okay, I guess I better not read this thread since I have not read the book and you want to talk about "future" things too...

Ya born alone
Ya die alone
And still we live on
Yesterday is a memory
Tomorrow is a vision
But today
it's a b*tch
Yesterday is a memory
Tomorrow is a vision
But today
it's a b*tch
julie
Wicked Wisdom

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 6:56 pm
Post subject:

TKB - I am so sorry! Most of us are so used to discussing this series that we forget that there are people watching the show who haven't read all the books.

I have requested an edit to the title of this post to reflect that the spoilers are through the end of the book. Not sure how long it will take, as two of the moderators have small children and the third is in a way different time zone and probably still at work.

I would suggest, as sucky as this sounds, that you are probably better off avoiding reading anything about this series that says Spoiler on it - and be careful with posts that don't - until you finish the currently published books. Even when we try to stick to a particular frame of chapter/book/ or episode, sometimes we lose track of exactly when something happened. I've read the first three books at least twice - possibly three times and am on my third or fourth re-read of them. It's easy to lose track of what happened in what book - particularly since many of us started reading them over a decade ago.

I always stay away from spoiler threads, even with chapter delineations, until I finish something new, because sometimes people say things that they don't even think are spoilers and they really are for people who are paying attention.

I hope you finish the books and join our discussions - or even post your own thread with your own theories! It's always fun to see the viewpoints of someone new to an old favorite.
Patrick
Sleepless Sonneteer

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 7:06 pm
Post subject:

Title edited to reflect spoilers.

On a mountain of skulls in a castle of pain, I sat on a throne of blood. What was will be, what is will be no more. Now is the season of evil!
julie
Wicked Wisdom

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 7:26 pm
Post subject:

And now, Mr. Smartypants pot stirrer, first *sticks tongue out at your snarkasm* it does take me a really long time to write a post, especially when you consider that 10 minutes is more time than I should be spending on line in the evening these days.

Second 'horse of painstaking work'? *snicker* Maybe should have thrown in an extra pony or two of edit time. ;-)

Third, shame on you! You'd want to strangle anyone who started a post three episodes into a new series and told you what happened at the end! /scolding

OK, that covered, I totally cracked up when you said that about

Click here to see the hidden message (It might contain spoilers)

That's what Jeff keeps saying every episode!! *lol* He keeps asking

And Rob and I just roll our eyes and tell him it's not til the end. It's been a very long time since he read the first book and he's never done a re-read.

On your Viserys concern:

I'm not worried about them running out of action. There is plenty of action going on in other PoV areas. I'm about 3/4 through the book and there has been no lack of action.

*lol* Young Patrick Stewart would a perfect Stannis!
Xinpheld
Bird Man of Alka-Seltzer

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 6:32 am
Post subject:

Apologies for not being clearer on the range of spoilers. You're right, it never occurred to me that someone might be watching the show that didn't read the books already. Let the flogging begin.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Patrick
Sleepless Sonneteer

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 11:18 am
Post subject:

*prepares to whip it, whip it good*

On a mountain of skulls in a castle of pain, I sat on a throne of blood. What was will be, what is will be no more. Now is the season of evil!
Rhodric
Lord of the Morning

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 2:50 pm
Post subject:

Xinpheld
Bird Man of Alka-Seltzer

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 6:50 am
Post subject:

Don't read Rhod's comments above in the Spoiler box (or mine in this one in response), unless you've already read through at least book three.

Patrick
Sleepless Sonneteer

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 2:41 pm
Post subject:

So, I've seen the first three episodes, and this may surprise y'all, as I am well-known as a GRRM detractor ever since the "I'm splittin' the books and all I do now is make miniatures and rant about the New York Giants" crap...but I'm really liking it so far. It even makes me kinda sorta maybe think about finally reading AFfC, in spite of my avowed protest of not reading it until ADwD comes out.

Mind you, it's been about five years since I read any of the books, so I'm a bit rusty on a lot of it.

So...first impressions:

1. I generally like the casting. I really don't get why so many people are hating on the lady who plays Cat. She's not that bad, people! I think she fits well the role of somewhat bitter southerner brought to live at a cold, grim northern fortress, whose husband promptly said "bye y'all, I'm going to war!" and came back a year later with a bastard son by some chick he had an affair with. I don't get the Robert hating, either; he looks just like the debauched, gone-to-seed, formerly mighty warrior I pictured from the books.

I don't really like the portrayals of Jaime or Cersei, though. They're just not, well, golden enough, if you know what I mean. Joffrey is an appropriately smirking little douchebag, and Viserys is a whiny creep who makes me really eager to see some molten gold come a' pourin'.

I think Sansa looks older than 13, but I'm horrible at guessing kids' ages; just as spoiled, entitled, and self-centered as I remember from the books. Tyrion, Arya, and Jon are cast perfectly, and words cannot express how much I love Sean Bean as Ned. Dany looks young enough that the, er, romantic interludes, as my mother would have said, were creepy to watch. I don't know about Khal Drogo, though...I think people are overreacting to the Dothraki, but I can't not see him as Ronon Dex, ready to bust some Wraith ass all over Essos.

Littlefinger's great little pedostache is great.

2. Setting.

I like Winterfell, I think it looks grim enough. I don't like the Red Keep; I've heard people say it seems empty, and I agree, to which I would also add it just didn't seem very grandiose to me. Where are the "drum" towers and massive fortifications? The Great Hall? I liked the Wall, too.

3. Scenes Various

Tyrion slapping Joffrey had me laughing, as did Arya beating his spoiled little butt.

Okay, more later, I just got out of my last final exam of the semester and my brain is mushy.

Xinpheld
Bird Man of Alka-Seltzer

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 6:35 am
Post subject:

Patrick wrote:
1. I generally like the casting. I really don't get why so many people are hating on the lady who plays Cat. She's not that bad, people! I think she fits well the role of somewhat bitter southerner brought to live at a cold, grim northern fortress, whose husband promptly said "bye y'all, I'm going to war!" and came back a year later with a bastard son by some chick he had an affair with.

I don't have a problem with the actress, I have a problem with her playing Cat. I could easily get past the overly morose-ness, if not for that she's too old, and doesn't look anything like Sansa at all, who is supposed to be a spitting image of her. Sure, they couldn't cast an exact match without the stars aligning, but you'd think they'd have tried to at least come close. Or at least give her auburn hair. (book three spoiler below!)

julie
Wicked Wisdom

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 5:07 pm
Post subject:

nothing can make littlefinger less skeevy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fantasy Freaks Forum Forum Index -> Moving Pictures All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: