The time now is Sat Jul 20, 2019 2:52 pm
View unanswered posts
Feb 2011 BOTM - Spoilers to the end of Chapter 8

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fantasy Freaks Forum Forum Index -> Book Club
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lannie
Colonel Chatterbox

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 10:03 pm
Post subject: Feb 2011 BOTM - Spoilers to the end of Chapter 8

This thread is for discussion of the book License To Ensorcell by Katharine Kerr, up to the end of chapter 8 (page 194 in my copy).
Lannie
Colonel Chatterbox

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:28 am
Post subject:

Well, I'm pretty sure this is how far I've read, but I left my copy in the car and I'm too lazy to get it.

I'm starting to enjoy the book, but I feel like this section was long and slow. I like the plotline and the relationship between Nola and Nathan, but I hate the need to throw in stupid acronyms and agency terms. Yes, yes, we get that it is a government agency, but really?

Hmmm, can't remember what I wanted to say when I finished this section at lunch....

Alle
The First Evil

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 2:03 am
Post subject:

I agree totally about the acronyms...enough already! Plus, what Nola can do is cool, but its doesn't make for interesting action.
Lannie
Colonel Chatterbox

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 6:20 pm
Post subject:

Oops, turns out I hadn't read this far yet - just got here. Nothing's changed though. I want to enjoy this book, but I'm not really. Maybe 3 out of 5? The acronyms and names for procedures are driving me nuts. Really though, I might be enjoying it better if I wasn't reading The Dresden Files at the same time. I'd read a section of this, then a Harry Dresden book. This book does not compare favourably.
Big Bubba
Slayer of Unreads

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 10:10 pm
Post subject:

Speaking of Dresden Files, I'm really looking forward to the next book. July... I can bring it to the freakout!

As for comparing Dresdan Files to Nola, I don't even want to go there. DF is all about action and wise-cracking. Kerr writes differently. Much slower paced. Still, I like this book better than I expected. The only thing that is driving me nuts is that she has carried over her "just so" phrase from Deverry, though here it's often thinly disguised as "quite so". Though it worked in Annwn, in the real world people tend to say "true" instead. Right???

Also, I'm glad we got the horizontal action straightened out. Those series where the main character keeps dithering about getting laid were driving me daft. Nice to see an early hump!

Alle
The First Evil

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 7:56 pm
Post subject:

*lol* The early hump was different and I was glad they got it out of the way too.

Speaking of DF, while on one hand I can't WAIT for the next book, I am also dreading seeing my beloved Harry in such a bad way. So mixed feelings about it I guess.

This book's sequel will be ignored by me unless I get it as a gift or 10 million people say the series really gets awesome. ;-p Sad, because I loved Deverry.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fantasy Freaks Forum Forum Index -> Book Club All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: