The time now is Mon Oct 22, 2018 6:11 pm
View unanswered posts
Do we have any Pen and Paper RPGers?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fantasy Freaks Forum Forum Index -> The Games We Play
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TamAlthor
The Zeppo

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 6:56 am
Post subject: Do we have any Pen and Paper RPGers?

So do we have anyone who plays D&D or similar type games on this board? I think a lot of us have been ivolved in online RPs of one sort or another. I've only played one Pen and Paper game ever and that got cut short. Kinda fun though.
"The truth is that our finest moments are most likely to occur when we are feeling deeply..unhappy, or unfulfilled. For it is only in such moments..we are likely to step out of our ruts and start searching for different ways or truer answers
-M. S. Peck
Xinpheld
Bird Man of Alka-Seltzer

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 10:27 am
Post subject:

I was once what you might call an avid gamer, back in the late 80's-early 90's. The 'xinpheld' moniker is even taken from a character I played in a long campaign. But it's been a good decade since I've participated in even the rudest hack-n-slash, chips-n-dip one-nighter. Truth be told I miss it; the note-passing between players, the arguments over rule minutiae, the always compensating for someone who didn't manage to make it to game night, and always managing to find the wrong entrance to a dungeon.

But adulthood and lack of a decent DM/GM has made it all but impossible to do anything but reminisce and play the odd PC-style RPG. One day I hope to DM for my daughter.

Suffice to say, I havea lot of good memories from my gaming days, and maybe one day...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
GilShalos

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 3:04 pm
Post subject:

A bit!!! we've not played in a couple of months though so I'm not sure if it died *L* I was a halfelf ranger and a um.... thingy (can't remember my other character... that is bad!)..... there were only three of us, see, so we had to both have two characters *g*

I have a beautiful set of pearl dice in dark green......

I've also played Wahammer quest, warhammer fantasy, necromunda, and a bit of mordheim.....

oh.. magic the gathering is another geeky game that's not on the PC!! *L*

board games: settlers of catan.... and recently, GRRM's Game of Thrones, thanks to shaun and ulrica *l* we only played it once that, and shaun won. Ulrica tried to kill us all with the cardboard crow, and said "quar" an awful lot.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Jenn
Travels with the Doctor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 6:51 pm
Post subject:

It's been quite a while since I've done any face to face roleplaying. Robert got me into it though. *l* He was a big gamer and he ended up being our default GM. I've played D&D, Vampire, GURPS, Shadowrun... probably some others and not a single one of those ever finished! *frown*

I'm in a play-by-post game at an online forum, though pbp is so *slow* and my interest in the game comes and goes.

Robert started a campaign with the kids about a year ago, but they haven't played in quite some time.
Jenn
Travels with the Doctor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 6:54 pm
Post subject:

Quote:
I have a beautiful set of pearl dice in dark green......

*lol* dice are dangerous. I think we have too many around here.
mark

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 12:10 am
Post subject:

Bing! I do game in this way. Three games at the moment:
- A D&D game that's been running for about 5 years, and happens about quarterly, depending on who's in India or getting married this year. Typically we spend as much time scheduling the next game as actually playing. Heavy on the character, light on the rules. Good for 'remember that time!' moments.

- A D&D game that runs when people feel like it, and mainly happens as a "why don't we play games any more" game. D&D as it was meant to be played, with half-orc barbarians.

- A Heavy Gear (best game setting in the world!) game that I'm running which is the best Heavy Gear game in the world. We're one session in. The party are the best of the worst, the few reliable soldiers in the worst regiment on the planet. The kind of place people are assigned when their CO secretly wants them to get killed in action. If people like reading about other people's games, there's stuff at http://mark.utterlymundane.org/nochancers/
Salamander

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 6:27 am
Post subject:

Well, yes, I do play this way. At the moment I am playing in two Hackmaster campaigns which both run every other monday, so that I am playing every monday. *l* I the past I've played in one D&D (2nd ed.) campaign which ran for 3 years. I like this sort of games, although occasionally (when there are not enough ppl to play RPG) we're playing board games to.
jaytheredwizard

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 8:14 am
Post subject:

I love me some D&D, but sadly it has been a while since our old playgroup had gotten together. Hopefully in the near future we will start another campaign. Until then I satisfy myself with electronic RPGs and Magic.
~*~sonia~*~

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 12:33 pm
Post subject:

My brothers used to play D&D like all the time with my cousins. I was really young then (about 8 or 9) but I used to join in at random times and play along, it was so much fun. I had my own character and everything!

:D
Chained to Fate

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 6:41 pm
Post subject:

I really like D&D, but unfortunately, I don't really have anyone to play with. I have actually been looking for people in my area (Portland, OR)
so if anyone is around and it sounds like fun...

My wife plays too, but to keep her interested I have to keep buying her pretty new dice, and that gets expensive.
:D
HighwayDaisy

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 10:25 pm
Post subject:

Once upon a time I was also an avid gamer. I got my start in Shadowrun (and still own, somewhere, every resource book through third edition), played a bit of In Nomine (Steve Jackson), a bit of White Wolf (usually Were-Vamp-Chang. crossovers), and a decent amount of D&D (just post-AD&D).

I miss it terribly, but just can't seem to find the time (my old group still plays, but almost always when I'm working).

Any solutions for us former gamers?? I've been itching to play for so long.
Xinpheld
Bird Man of Alka-Seltzer

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 5:21 am
Post subject:

HighwayDaisy wrote:
I miss it terribly, but just can't seem to find the time (my old group still plays, but almost always when I'm working).

Any solutions for us former gamers?? I've been itching to play for so long.

I know what you mean! I just recently started into a campaign of Changeling: The Lost, and we're playing once a month - which is a painful wait time, and I don't recommend it.A month of wait time puts a lot of artiificial expectations on the game, especially for someone who hasn't played in forever and wants to squeeze every last drop of RPG out of it. The game system is enjoyable, though, especially since the ST is one of the authors of the system!

Maybe you could wait for the 4th ed. of D&D which i believe is coming out next month - it's supposed to have a strong online gaming system, so maybe you could find yourself some players from other locales taht fit your roleplaying window a little better.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
LunaRaven

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 3:05 am
Post subject:

I used to be a pen and paper RPG...er in the most literal sense of the phrase. During my two years at home school, fun was hard to come by. So, while sitting at the table, my sister and I used to write our own RPG on college rulled paper. I still have a chunck of paper wasted on RPGing in an old shoe box(or shoe) somewhere in my closet. I used to be part of a great online written RPG years ago, but it simply couldn't withstand the years and everyone eventually moved on or lost contact.
Skarla

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 2:56 pm
Post subject:

I used to play paper RPG before I moved! I still have my D&D books and a copy of Vampire Masquerade... I've also played a game with something to do with Luna... werecreatures or something. Masquerade was always my favourite, which is kinda wierd when I think about how much of a fantasy nut I am. Still, the Vampire Armand is on my list of top ten favourite books I suppose.
I wouldn't mind getting back into playing, but there is a lack of people to play with. I could interest my boyfriend I suppose, but two people games are not nearly as fun as when you have five or six arguing terribly between themselves!
The thing that I always remember back when I was 15 was that we would spend hours making our character sheets and then only have about 45 minutes to play before we all had to head home... and then people would loose sheets so we couldn't carry the same game next time and had to do the whole thing over!

Knowledge is power and power corrupts. Study hard: be evil!
Kheltan
Silky Smooth Since Seventeen

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 1:38 pm
Post subject:

Been playing tabletop RPG's for 15 years now. Not as much in the last five as the first ten thanks to life. Still play with one friend of mine, alot of one-on-one just because we can't find others in our area who we would want to play with. Besides, it seems everyone has gone to d20; we stick with classic AD&D 2e. I used to play all sorts of systems, but as people moved and parted ways we settled down to really just playing AD&D. Never could get into d20 or D&D 3/3.5 and have no desire to tackle 4e. There are some good rule changes in the newer editions, but overall I feel they have been steps in the wrong direction...but that's a whole argument of its own.

Me and several others are working out our system now. We want it to be balanced and very flexible with an easy transition to/from d20 but correcting and patching what we all agree have been holes in the d20 system. We are looking at making it fully modular too, based on an open source software model (such as linux): a core system ("kernel"); various games based on the core system ("distribution"); capaign settings for the games ("shell"); and plug in systems ("applications") such as advanced combat or magic rules.

Rhodric
Lord of the Morning

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 2:18 am
Post subject:

Used to play AD&D second edition back in the day. Though i have played original D&D too. I guess it was the d20 system. d20 to calculate with your THACO and for savings throws. Most weapons were d4, d6, d8, d10, d12 depending really, i don't know, it was fun though. We were always improvising shizit. Haven't played in like 10 years though not since middle school/high school really.
Oliver deBurrows

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 1:50 pm
Post subject:

I play world of darkness if that counts, i've watched a few D+D games if that counts :D
Jess

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 11:07 pm
Post subject: table and pen RPG

My last few years of college I got into the White Wolf Exalted games with two of my best friends from school. They aren't completely dependant on dice but we programmed a calculator to a random number generator and used that for any time that one of use made a decision. Used a lot of liberties with how we actually played the game, but that have a pretty cool level up system. If anyone is ever looking for a really fun world to get into their Exalter series was so much fun. We did a game of the Dragon-Blooded and also the Solars and it gives you a lot of room to move around. Unfortunately, since then my friends and I have all moved to different parts of the country so since our "last hooray game" I haven't played, but I had a grea time when I used to.
Fantasy Guy

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 3:39 pm
Post subject:

Xinpheld wrote:
But it's been a good decade since I've participated in even the rudest hack-n-slash, chips-n-dip one-nighter. Truth be told I miss it; the note-passing between players, the arguments over rule minutiae, the always compensating for someone who didn't manage to make it to game night, and always managing to find the wrong entrance to a dungeon.

But adulthood and lack of a decent DM/GM has made it all but impossible to do anything but reminisce and play the odd PC-style RPG. One day I hope to DM for my daughter.

Suffice to say, I havea lot of good memories from my gaming days, and maybe one day...

Oh man I loved your comment about arguing over rule minutiae, that brought back some great memories. Im still playing DnD at my college, we have an active role playing club. Online games are easier to get on and play, but they will never replace the enjoyment of old pen and paper.

Did anyone here play the old star was rpg that used the d6 system?
Rhodric
Lord of the Morning

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 1:19 am
Post subject:

I never played that one. I think what we did most is take a general framework of rules, like AD&D 2nd edition and create our own rpgs or at least our own campaigns. I remember my friend man a UN squadron rpg and a wield add/ogre battle campaign. good times.

These days I play MMOs and offline console rpgs almost exclusively. Hard to do quality table top without a good close group
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fantasy Freaks Forum Forum Index -> The Games We Play All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: