The time now is Sat Jul 20, 2019 2:42 pm
View unanswered posts
August 2010 BOTM - Spoilers through Chapter 8

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fantasy Freaks Forum Forum Index -> Book Club
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lannie
Colonel Chatterbox

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 11:39 am
Post subject: August 2010 BOTM - Spoilers through Chapter 8

This thread is for discussion of the book The High Wizard of Silvinesh by R.A. Scully, up to the end of chapter 8 (page 78 in my copy).
TASB

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 8:01 am
Post subject:

I received my copy a couple of days ago and just finished reading the first 10 chapters.

We are greeted with a classic high fantasy world of elves and men, orcs, dragons and goblins. The world of Sylvenish is on the brink of invasion by a dark force. So far we have been introduced to William, Alentia, Steven, Warren, Kyle, Elene and Selene, who journey forth on the main quest of the story. They are heading out on their own after the ruling council has ignored William's warnings and omens.

The pace of the story is quite fast and parts of the plot which I was expecting to take a long time to develop have been met and dealt with very succinctly. This is the first book I have read that follows a close dungeons and dragons feel, where a balanced party heads out on an adventure/quest.

There is a lot of magic in the story so far which I am enjoying. Most books which feature characters who possess magic seem to have some weird reasons or rules as to why they cannot use their magic and then spend most of their time dealing with problems in mundane ways. The characters in this book are obviously quite powerful and are not shy in using those powers.

One thing I have found to be a bit distracting so far is the over use of adjectives, as well as the odd run-on sentence here and there. I believe this is your first novel Rodney? You should be very proud of your achievement. Over time I fully believe your writing style will grow and improve. Keep up the good work. I am going to bed now to read a few more chapters.
High Wizard of Silvinesh

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 6:34 pm
Post subject:

Thanks, and yes, this is my first novel and you are not the first person to give me some constructive criticism about my over use of adjectives. I've tried to see this and have done my best to avoid repeating it in my next novels.

Can't wait to see a few more posts, many should have recieved their copies by now. I'll be pretty busy the next few weeks, doing book signings and attending the Ottawa Can Con. If I don't show up here for a few days and people have questions or comments, I will be back, promise :-)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fantasy Freaks Forum Forum Index -> Book Club All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: