The time now is Sun Oct 13, 2019 8:10 pm
View unanswered posts
Americanized Torchwood?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fantasy Freaks Forum Forum Index -> Moving Pictures
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jana

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 12:52 am
Post subject: Americanized Torchwood?

Has anyone else seen this horrifying news?

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/content_display/television/news/e3id183d5e80b48e57c7ceb299df8e4c2b0

I don't care if Russell Davies is on board, I just don't see how any good could possibly come of this.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Jade
Seven of Jade

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 11:34 am
Post subject:

nooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!

Can you imagine if they tried to make an American Doctor Who? *shudder* What a horrifying idea. And they'll probably try to make Captain Jack straight *shudder*

If they're supposedly bringing John Barrowman aboard, wouldn't that have to mean any further UK seasons were canceled? I thought there was supposed to be another season....

And since it's Fox, you know that if beyond all reason they actually managed to make a good show, it would get canceled after 13 episodes.

I just don't get it. The Office must be the only show that actually successfully transitioned to the US - they've tried quite a few others with dismal failure. Seriously, aren't all their focus groups and stuff supposed to tell them when an idea is really stupid?

Jade

jana

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:11 am
Post subject:

I know, those were some of my thoughts as well. I'd be pissed to see anybody besides John Barrowman play the role, because I don't see how anybody else could do it justice, but then we'd more than likely lose the possibility of more episodes of the actual good version! And you know we'd probably get a stupid plastic version of Gwen. I seriously doubt that Fox execs would allow the omnisexuality thing, either. Plus we'd lose the whole connection to Doctor Who.

If it does end up happening, I'll probably watch it, especially if they do bring over John Barrowman, but I'm really just hoping it doesn't ever happen.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Jade
Seven of Jade

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 11:43 am
Post subject:

I don't see Fox having the balls to do something like Children of Earth, either - which I realize was a little too grim for some people, but apparently it got record ratings.

Jade

Jenn
Travels with the Doctor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 5:24 pm
Post subject:

Oh I hope this doesn't happen. There is no way that it would be as good. And as for Doctor Who.... ugh. I'm just shaking my head. That would be truly horrible.
jana

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 12:11 am
Post subject:

Well, I haven't heard any more news about an American remake of Torchwood, but it sounds like the next season of Torchwood (which is actually going to happen, hooray!!) will be a bit Americanized. Starz is co-producing with the BBC, and it will air on both networks. They're bringing on some American actors as well, and I'm not really sure how I feel about this. Bill Pullman is going to be a regular. I loved him back in the day, in movies like Spaceballs and While You Were Sleeping, but I don't know about him as "a dangerously clever convicted murderer" on this show. Hard to picture. But I'm just glad we're getting more Torchwood, and that it's the original stuff, even with some changes.

Full article on Bill Pullman joining the cast is here: http://www.deadline.com/2010/12/bill-pullman-joins-torchwood-as-regular/

LunaRaven

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 7:19 am
Post subject:

Jade wrote:
nooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!

Can you imagine if they tried to make an American Doctor Who? *shudder* What a horrifying idea. And they'll probably try to make Captain Jack straight *shudder*

If they're supposedly bringing John Barrowman aboard, wouldn't that have to mean any further UK seasons were canceled? I thought there was supposed to be another season....

And since it's Fox, you know that if beyond all reason they actually managed to make a good show, it would get canceled after 13 episodes.

I just don't get it. The Office must be the only show that actually successfully transitioned to the US - they've tried quite a few others with dismal failure. Seriously, aren't all their focus groups and stuff supposed to tell them when an idea is really stupid?

Jade

American Dr.Who! Don't even whisper such blasphemy!
TamAlthor
The Zeppo

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 9:00 am
Post subject:

American Dr Who happened in the 90s, My first Dr Who experience was with a movie that was done in the 90s, I saw it on late night TV once. Having not seen any other Dr. Who it did spark an interst for me.

It got mediocre but not terrrible ratings. Checking the wikipedia page on this Movie shows that it was hoped to launch an american dr who series. obviously it didn't work out that way.

"The truth is that our finest moments are most likely to occur when we are feeling deeply..unhappy, or unfulfilled. For it is only in such moments..we are likely to step out of our ruts and start searching for different ways or truer answers
-M. S. Peck
LunaRaven

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 8:50 pm
Post subject:

TamAlthor wrote:
American Dr Who happened in the 90s, My first Dr Who experience was with a movie that was done in the 90s, I saw it on late night TV once. Having not seen any other Dr. Who it did spark an interst for me.

It got mediocre but not terrrible ratings. Checking the wikipedia page on this Movie shows that it was hoped to launch an american dr who series. obviously it didn't work out that way.

Goodness gracious. We ravens are glad that the idea never flourished. American Dr.Who--bah!
Jade
Seven of Jade

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 10:23 pm
Post subject:

I agree - yick!

But it's Xmas Special time!!
And I'm in Canada, and my mom has a lot of channels, so for once I actually get to watch it on tv instead of finding some really crappy website to stream it off!

I don't think my family will share my enthusiasm, though... *lol*

Jade

ThrillKillBill

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 10:08 am
Post subject:

I'm waiting for Japan to do a re-make and then we'll have the world's first Asian Dr. Who >.<

mu-wa-hahahahaha-haha-ho-ho-haha-ha!

Ya born alone
Ya die alone
And still we live on
Yesterday is a memory
Tomorrow is a vision
But today
it's a b*tch
Yesterday is a memory
Tomorrow is a vision
But today
it's a b*tch
Caleyna
Queen of Silliness

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 6:16 pm
Post subject:

So is anyone watching Miracle Day?
Click here to see the hidden message (It might contain spoilers)
Jade
Seven of Jade

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 11:17 pm
Post subject:

yeah, I'm watching it, but haven't seen this week's most recent episode...

So far, I'm not liking it as much as the earlier stuff. Without getting into any specific spoilers...

I feel like in season 3, they really escalated the tension and the threat level, as well as the general evil crappiness of the governments involved... Then I think in this season they wanted to keep pushing in that direction (ie great big evil, conspiracy, constant threat level), but they've gone a bit over the top. As a result, I kind of agree, some of the motivations and actions don't really make a lot of sense to me.

I still like the characters... I'll never get tired of Captain Jack *g* But it's not quite the same show I fell in love with.

I recommend you go back and watch the earlier stuff. I think season 2 is where it got really good for me. Season 3 was amazing (but a wee bit on the dark and depressing side, just to warn you...)

Jade

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fantasy Freaks Forum Forum Index -> Moving Pictures All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: