The time now is Wed Nov 21, 2018 1:00 am
View unanswered posts
Dragon's Eye C 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fantasy Freaks Forum Forum Index -> Writing Workshop
View previous topic :: View next topic  
avwedhorn

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 1:52 pm
Post subject: Dragon's Eye C 3

Chapter 3

After what seemed like the longest silence Micah had ever endured, the dragon growled scornfully, “What did you do with the medallion, put it on a shelf, leave it in a box somewhere?”

Flushing guiltily, Micah raked fingers through his dark brown hair.

“You didn’t, did you?” exclaimed the dragon incredulously. Eyes lighting with fury, another small jet of fire blew out its nostrils as it heaved a heavy sigh. Not waiting for his answer, the dragon’s growl deepened. “Weren’t you told by your father to wear it at all times? Didn’t he tell you about your duty? Did you not know of your obligations to the people of Illanor? That as a Man of the Blood, could be called at any time to fulfill them? That, in times of need you and I would be called for?”

Again Micah flushed, this time anger darkened his cheeks. In a stiff voice he stated through clenched teeth, “How dare you! I have done my duty all my life and all it has done is caused me trouble. You can’t talk to me this way!” Waving his hand around at the room he met the dragon glare for glare. “This isn’t real! This is all a dream. Dragons don’t exist! Illanor is a place of make believe, a fairy tale created by my deranged father before he was finally institutionalized over the death of his brother. I have no made up duties to a make believe people.”

The lines around the dragon’s mouth drew upwards. It was hard to tell because of its long teeth, but it looked as if it was smiling. Micah noticed the smile didn’t touch its glittering yellow eyes.

“A dream?” The dragon’s horned head snaked about the chamber indicating their surroundings. “None of this is real? I am nothing but a figment of your imagination? A child’s storytale made up for you by Benjamin about himself and Allon? Something dreamed up, just for your amusement? Make believe duty?”

Micah thought the beast sounded offended in spite of the sardonic twist to its words. Before he could blink the dragon’s head shot forward with incredible speed and seized him. Long teeth clamped down onto his body. Micah screamed in terror as the giant beast tossed its head sideways and he was flying through the air towards one of its chained clawed feet.

He tried rolling with the impact, he didn’t succeed. Air exploded out his lungs as he landed hard on the stone floor. Fear overwhelmed him and his heart leapt up into his throat as he tried scrambling away. A bone white talon caught him by the legs and knocked his feet out from under him.

Angry, reproachful eyes pierced him as the same talon rolled him over like a puppy in his master’s hand and pinned his chest to the stone. Needles of pain radiated out from where the claw touched skin and Micah, staring at the giant claw, his heart still racing, suddenly realized he wasn’t waking up.

You’re supposed to wake up when you were about to die in a dream. The fleeting thought flew out of his head as the dragon moved closer.

Growling, it deftly slid its long talon down his chest.

Dismayed and frightened, Micah flinched as it popped buttons from his shirt.

He let out a hoarse cry as the dragon placed its claw against his bare skin. Yellow eyes blazing with indignation the dragon snarled malevolently, “I am no dream Man of the Blood! And this is no fairy tale created for you by Benjamin or Allon.” It was all Micah could do to keep from crying out.

Suddenly the dragon’s eye pulsed, a bright red glow, a radiant flaring fire that surrounded the stone and the dragon recoiled. Large yellow eyes flew open with shock. Jerking backwards, it released him. Almost like a beaten, cowering dog, the dragon slowly backed away, slinking into the darkness of the chamber as far as its chains allowed.

“Although I would like to kill you Man of the blood, it seems I’m honor bound and not permitted to do so.”

Micah could still see its yellow eyes glaring at the still pulsating stone as it hissed, “But, I also don’t have to help you. Get out of here! Leave this place! You’re a disgrace to the memory of your father and the other riders who came before you. The sight of you disgusts me. You have dishonored yourself and all servants who have come before you! Get out, you’re not welcome here!”

Twice Micah had heard the names. Trying to pull the tattered remains of his shirt back over his exposed chest he asked, passing by the second and back to the first, “How do you know my father?”

Silence filled the darkness. It lasted so long that Micah was about to ask again when the dragon hissed out of the darkness of its corner, “What do you mean, how do I know your father?”

Realizing after a few moments when Micah didn’t answer the dragon responded, “You don’t know? He didn’t tell you?”

“Tell me what?” bristled Micah, not sure what he was asking.

The dragon examined him, yellow eyes scrutinizing. Micah thought it looked as if it was trying to see a lie in his words, searching for something he was trying to hide. Finally it gave a harsh bark of laughter, “Your father was the last rider to his duty here when needed. Unlike some, he answered the call when duty required him.”

Gaping incredulously, Micah blurted out before he could stop himself, “My father has been here? You have met him?” Thinking back to his childhood, he remembered the vivid stories and realized the truth before the dragon answered.

Changing the subject, the dragon shot him an appraising look, “Have you ever held a sword Man of the blood?” Its skeptical expression showed that it thought it already knew the answer.

“Can you defend yourself? Do you have any skills that might make you useful to the people of Allryss, something that might help them defeat the Griega?”

Micah thought back to the hapkido lessons he had taken for years as a teenager. Then he had been proficient with a sword but that had been years ago. He had stopped while in the military. Now, he was better with a baton, thanks to his police training. But still, he had never used the thing and couldn’t remember the last time he had stepped into the ring.

“Not since I was a young man to the first question, and some to the second,” he answered, hoping the dragon didn’t detect the doubt in his voice. “Why would I need to protect myself?”

“Didn’t you hear me?” hissed the dragon from between bared teeth. “Dragons like myself, the rest of Illanor, the dragonlords, the people, and the Griega would all like to see you dead?” Rolling its eyes, the dragon looked as if he was being deliberately dense. “Damn humans, you never listen to anything unless you’re frightened half to death or it is screamed at you.”

Micah shook his head, “I heard what you said damn it! What I meant was, why me?”

“The dragon’s eye,” answered the dragon, pointing with a long talon at the medallion clasped in his hand, “is what the Griega seek. As for the rest of us, we just want you dead because you didn’t come to stop them. You didn’t answer the summons when we needed you. You didn’t do your duty.”

“Why? What’s so important about the eye,” Micah asked staring down at the red medallion in his hand, “it’s a bauble, a toy.” He knew it was more but he wanted to see the dragon’s reaction. “Why would it cause such death and destruction?”

The dragon sputtered, unable to form words for a moment, then eyeing him as if he were an ignorant child who should already know it answered, “Benjamin should have told you. The eye is but one of three parts of a greater object. The eye, the tooth and the claw, only those three together can open the heart.”

Seeing Micah’s confused look the dragon let out a long heavy sigh. “Sit in the corner, this might take a while.”

Micah did as he was told and listened without having to be screamed at.
Tales of Kadakinna

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 2:04 pm
Post subject:

This is great so far! Cant wait to hear more
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fantasy Freaks Forum Forum Index -> Writing Workshop All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: