The time now is Sun Mar 18, 2018 10:06 pm
View unanswered posts
The Recommendation Thread
Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Queen of Silliness

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 7:03 pm
Post subject: The Recommendation Thread

I'm stealing this idea from another board, but it's a good one so I'm sure they won't care.

This is going to be a sticky thread that we can all contribute to as we read great books. Everyone should post books they recommend to others. Please include a brief description telling why you recommend it and what type of reader it might appeal to. I'll be doing away with the recommendation page on the old site so you might want to go there and take a look to see what you recommended already http://www.fantasyfreaks.org/fantasy/read.html
Queen of Silliness

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 10:31 pm
Post subject:

Iain M. Banks - Inversions

Banks is a generally a sci-fi writer, but this book looked fantasyish so I was compelled to pick it up. What an amazing find! A great plot, wonderful characters, and an ambigious ending that left me thinking for days.

Gail Carson Levine - Ella Enchanted

Whether you like YA or not, this is a must read. Levine has created the best Cinderalla story I've ever read. Clever, funny, creative. Read it now.

Raymond Feist and Janny Wurts - The Empire Series
Daughter of the Empire
Servant of the Empire
Mistress of the Empire

This was my first introduction to mainstream fantasy, and it got me hooked. If you like lots of political intrigue, a little romance, and a powerful female lead, this is the series for you. I am not a fan of Feist or Wurts alone, but this collaboration shines.

Lynn Flewelling - The Tamir Trilogy
The Bone Doll's Twin
Hidden Warrior
The Oracle's Queen

Flewelling has hit her stride as an author with this trilogy. A young girl is destined to be queen, but she'll be killed if her uncle finds her. Dark magic transforms her into a boy, and she grows up believing she's male. Wonderful read!

C. S. Friedman - The Coldfire Trilogy
Black Sun Rising
When True Night Falls
Crown of Shadows

This is an excellent dark fantasy series. The characters could use some development, but the plot makes up for any lack in the characters. The last three hundred pages are incredible. I was shocked and pleased with the ending.

Barry Hughart - Bridge of Birds

If you like fairy tales, mysteries or Asian literature, this is a book for you. A smart, funny look at "an ancient China that never was". I can't wait to read more about Master Li and his esteemed client Number Ten Ox.

Juliet Marillier

The Sevenwaters Trilogy
Daughter of the Forest
Son of the Shadows
Child of the Prophesy

Juliet Marillier may be the best author out there right now. Her research is impeccable and her writing is fantastic. This may be a bit on the feminine side for some readers, but I highly recommend it to everyone.

The Saga of the Light Isles

Marillier's second series is very different from her first, but still an excellent read. The saga follows the adventures of Vikings who've landed on an island in Scotland and their interactions with the people there. It's much more realistic than the Sevenwaters trilogy, yet it still has mythical elements.

Sheri S. Tepper

The Awakeners (also seen in two volumes as The North Shore and The South Shore)

This is my favorite Tepper book, though I certainly haven't read them all. Part sci-fi, part fantasy, the book explores a religion gone terribly wrong. Very intriguing read.

The Visitor

Not as good as The Awakeners but still very enjoyable. Another sci-fi fantasy hybrid that explores the future of religion. A page-turning tale, even though it is bogged down a bit at the end by Tepper's preachiness.
Big Bubba
Slayer of Unreads

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 9:09 pm
Post subject:

Stephen Donaldson

The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant the Unbeliever

Lord Foul's Bane
The Illearth War
The Power that Preserves

The Second Chronicles of Thomas Covenant
The Wounded Land
The One Tree
White Gold Wielder

The Last Chronicles of Thomas Covenant (not yet complete)
The Runes of the Earth
Fatal Revenant
Against All Things Ending
The Last Dark (not yet written)

Stephen Donaldson is the man you either love or hate. The first thing he does when writing an epic fantasy is to replace the knight in shining armor with one of the most annoying anti-heroes ever seen. This has made more than one person throw away the books in frustration, but there are so many other wonderful characters that I fell for it immediately.

Geraldine Harris - The Seven Citadels
Prince of the Godborn
The Children of the Wind
The Dead Kingdom
The Seventh Gate

This was one of the first fantasy series I read back in the dark ages. It's a standard high fantasy, written for the younger readers, but with a lot of charm.

Robin Hobb

The Farseer

Assassin's Apprentice
Royal Assassin
Assassin's Quest

The Liveship Traders
Ship of Magic
Mad Ship
Ship of Destiny

The Tawny Man
Fool's Errand
The Golden Fool
Fool's Fate

The Rain Wild Chronicles
The Dragon Keeper
Dragon Haven

Robin Hobb is one of the most talented authors writing in the fantasy field today. Some people don't like Farseer as much, and some don't like Liveship as much, but everyone seems to agree that The Tawny Man is excellent, and you really should read both Farseer and Liveship before you read it.

Katharine Kerr - The Deverry Series
The Bristling Wood (Dawnspell)
The Dragon Revenant (Dragonspell)

A Time of Exile
A Time of Omens
Days of Blood and Fire (A Time of War)
Days of Air and Darkness (A Time of Justice)

The Red Wyvern
The Black Raven
The Fire Dragon

The Gold Falcon
The Spirit Stone
The Shadow Isle
The Silver Mage

Celtish fantasy set in a parallel universe. A series for those of you who want something more than standard, one dimensional good vs. evil stories.

Greg Keyes - The Kingdoms of Thorn and Bone
The Briar King
The Charnel Prince
The Blood Knight
The Born Queen

This is what I would call minimalistic Big Fat Fantasy, a story on the scale of WoT or aSoIaF, but without all the bloated PoVs and character lists. Very well written!

Ursula K. Le Guin - Earthsea
A Wizard of Earthsea
The Tombs of Atuan
The Farthest Shore
Tales from Earthsea
The Other Wind

Le Guin wrote the first Earthsea book in the late sixties, but it was not until 2001 she finished the series. The later books are a bit different than the early ones, in that they are taking a decidedly female perspective. Some people do not care for this, and complain bitterly about feministic propaganda. I think they have been smoking too much crack. All the books are excellent. The Tombs of Atuan may very well be the best fantasy book ever written.

Julian May - The Saga of the Exiles
The Many-Coloured Land
The Golden Torc
The Nonborn King
The Adversary

An original sf/fantasy combination set both in the past and the future of the earth. I found it a bit heavy and technical at times, and the plot made some strange leaps. Still I can recommend it for anyone who is tired of ordinary fantasy.

Philip Pullman - His Dark Materials
The Golden Compass
The Subtle Knife
The Amber Spyglass

On the surface this is a cute little YA adventure, but deep down it contains an interesting interpretation of Christian mythology. The ending is a bit weak and confusing, but it's worth reading anyway.

Jack Vance

Suldrun's Garden
The Green Pearl

This is a classic fantasy series that has a touch of true fairy tale. Vance is very imaginative writer, sometimes to the point where he gets side-tracked from the main story line, but the result is always entertaining.

Tales of the Dying Earth
The Dying Earth
The Eyes of the Overworld
Cugel's Saga
Rhialto the Marvellous

This is another one of those series that can't seem to make up their minds if they are SF or fantasy. If you expect a continuous plot line through all the books you will be disappointed - this is a collection of tales where it is often difficult to see any connection from one chapter to the next. The quality also varies quite a bit, but the books are definitely worth reading, if only for the cast, which contains some really amusing scoundrels.

Last edited by Big Bubba on Sun Aug 15, 2010 4:48 pm; edited 4 times in total

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 9:26 am
Post subject:

For sure:

Jacqueline Carey Kushiel Trilogy

Okay, so there are 3 books in the first series and 1 in the second series so far. Set in an alternate Earth, Terre D'Ange is a world that is ruled by physical beauty and perfection. Phedre is imperfect, she has a scarlet mote in her eye marking her as Kushiel's Chosen...she is a true Anguisette or sexual masochist. Through the help of Lord Anifiel Delunay she becomes the most sought after courtesan in the land...and one of the best spies. This is a series full of intrigue, sex(not for everyone), and true Machiavellian characters. Read them and love them...they are fantastic!!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 6:53 am
Post subject: Secret Texts

Has anyone read, the Secret texts series by Holly Lisle. I just started it and have only read The Diplomacy of Wolves, but I am lovin it.
Queen of Silliness

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 9:37 pm
Post subject:

I read The Secret Texts and quite enjoyed them. They got a little cheesy towards the end, but overall it was a very solid effort and a lot of fun to read.
Big Bubba
Slayer of Unreads

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 5:10 pm
Post subject:

Got a couple of more to add. C'mon people, I know you have stuff you want to add too, don't you?

Ursula K. Le Guin - Annals of the Western Shore

Le Guin is my favorite author of all time (yes, she is even better than Katharine Kerr). I've read and re-read her Earthsea cycle reverently, consumed a number of her SF books (The Left Hand of Darkness and The Lathe of Heaven are outstanding in that genre) and bits and pieces of her other works. The only thing I've found to be hit or miss are her short story collections.

You will find this new series of stand-alone fantasy books on the YA shelves. Maybe that's because each book covers the childhood and early adult years of the main character, but there is nothing childish in the writing whatsoever. The setting is an imaginary world with some resemblance to the Ancient Greek and Roman era. Magic is present and to some extent central, but it's rather subdued and definitely not of the flashy type that kills people in the thousands a la Jordan or Erikson. As usual Le Guin focuses on her characters and in this series she explores the ordeals they have to go through to win freedom and peace of mind. The pace is generally slow and the plot is rather straightforward, but that never bothers me with her books. Le Guin's superior prose and the way her belief in a better world always wins through in the end despite showing humankind's darkest sides always touches me deeper than any other author has been able to do.

Word of warning - though the books have different main characters and are techinically stand-alones, I strongly recommend reading them in order. I found Gifts to be somewhat weaker than expected, but both Voices and Powers more than make up for the slow start.

Catherynne M. Valente - The Orphan's Tales
In the Night Garden
In the Cities of Coin and Spice

This duology should be right up the alley of any lover of fairy tales. I've seen it described as the Arabian Nights of our time, but I haven't read that book myself so I can't really judge. The setup is a girl who is born with a myriad of tales written into her eyelids. She becomes an outcast, but after living on her own for many years a boy approaches her, and she starts telling him the stories she has memorized by looking at the reflection of her face. From that point you are thrown into a true maze - the stories are nested to such an extent that I more than once lost track of who was telling the current tale. The beauty is that it all comes together in the end. The word of warning here is that it can take a while to get used to the writing style. Valente uses similes like most people use air.

Last edited by Big Bubba on Sat Jun 20, 2009 7:58 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 9:50 am
Post subject:

perfect!! I read all earth sea books and was just thrilled by them although I knew regrettably the end of "wizard of earth sea" and "tombs of atuan". (I had been watching the end of a movie without knowing it was the movie production for earth see.. :/ ) I'm pleased to find out there's more book stuff from le guin. you say, the first book is weeker than the others, Big Bubba. I hope le guin didn't repeat in the two others what happened before as she did in the last earth sea book? (that is to say why I was a little bored by "the other wind". if le guin did so in the two other books of your recommend, the books would be even weeker for me than the week start you mentioned)

well, I knew some good reading stuff to recommend, but it wasn't fantasy at all. would that be a problem?
Big Bubba
Slayer of Unreads

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 7:19 pm
Post subject:

I'm happy to hear you are a Le Guin fan, Thanis. She is definitely my favorite author. I don't think you have to worry about her new books being too much like Earthsea. I found them very different, but still excellent.

You can recommend books outside our main genre if you like, that is not a problem. We are fairly laid back about going 'off topic'.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 8:27 pm
Post subject:

The late, great Douglas Adams's two "Dirk Gently" books, set in contemporary times, apply Adams's unique sensibilities to the misadventures of Dirk Gently, "wholistic detective". With the typical Adams humor, but also with the typical thoughtful Adams undertones and currents.

Richard Adams is well-enough known for Watership Down, but also produced the very different (from that and from each other) fantasy masterpieces Shardik and The Girl in a Swing.

Shardik is set in an imagined world in a pre-industrial condition, and is the tale of the rise of the cult of Shardik, the bear-god, when what may be a living avatar, a giant bear, appears; the tale tells of the rise and fall of the man who becomes Shardik's high priest then lets himself and his position be abused by others for their own ends. Lengthy and complex plot, deeply human and moving.

The Girl in a Swing is set in modern times, and is the tale of a constitutional loner, a nice enough but bland fellow, who meets a beautiful--and mysterious--young woman who instantly falls deeply in love with him. All is mind-numbing delight, but the woman has secrets, of both the mundane and the supernatural sort. It ends in tragedy--or does it? The reader must decide.
Eric Walker, webmaster
Great Science-Fiction & Fantasy Works
(now with forums!)
Mulluane Lonewolf
The Old Bat

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 9:24 pm
Post subject:

OK, you asked for it! BTW its roughly sorted from YA to adult.

The Chronicles of Narnia by C.S. Lewis

The Chronicles of Narnia present the adventures of children who play central roles in the unfolding history of the fictional realm of Narnia, a place where animals talk, magic is common, and good battles evil. Each of the books (with the exception of The Horse and His Boy) features as its protagonists children from our world who are magically transported to Narnia, where they are called upon to help the lion Aslan handle a crisis in the world of Narnia .

Uglies Trilogy by Scott Westerfeld

UGLIES trilogy follows the high-tech adventures of Tally Youngblood. As an ugly, then a pretty, and finally a special, Tally works to take down a society created to function with perfect-looking people who never have a chance to think for themselves.

The Artemis Fowl series by Eoin Coffer

Artemis Fowl tells the tale of a twelve-year-old genius, a criminal mastermind who wants to acquire fairy gold in order to restore his family's fortune. This series is about Artemis' quest for the gold and how the fairies try to stop him from getting it.

His Dark Materials by Philip Pullman
Lyra and Will, children from different worlds, share two common bonds, the loss of parents and the possession of objects which give them unique access to knowledge. One is an object which communicates truth about any situation to any person wise enough to be able to read it and the other an instrument which can cut open windows to other worlds.

Inheritance series by Christopher Paolini
Fifteen year-old Eragon discovers his destiny as a Dragon Rider. With only an ancient sword and the advice of an old storyteller for guidance, Eragon and his dragon must navigate the dangerous terrain and dark enemies of an Empire ruled by a king whose evil knows no bounds.

Xanth Series by Piers Anthony
Fun series full of fantastic creatures, a unique parallel world and a magic system based on puns. Yes I said puns! These are a light read and funny as heck (by the rules of the Adult Conspiracy if I say the other word really bad things will happen.) Anthony has taken puns sent to him over the years by readers and woven them into a tongue in cheek universe where babies are actually delivered by storks and children are kept innocent at all costs. Fun reads.

Shannara Series by Terry Brooks.
This is epic fantasy (14 books) with LoTR overtones but set in a post apocalyptic world where magic has replaced technology. The first book that was written, The Sword of Shannara, follows Shea Olmsford in his quest to recover the magical sword and use it to defeat the evil Warlock Lord. When this book was first published it rocketed up the best sellers lists, and with good reason. This is high fantasy at its best and a must read for anyone who loved Lord of the Rings.

Mithgar Series by Dennis L. McKiernan

The first book was originally written as a sequel to LoTR, but once written the Tolken family backed out the deal. So in an attempt to save the story, McKieran rewrote it, changing a few elements, names and so forth to make it unique. But its still an LoTR sequel and that doesn't remove its charm. He went on to write 17 books in this series, and each was better then the last. The battle scenes are better, the characters are portrayed with more warmth and as long as you realize the parallels are intentional, you'll enjoy these as much as LoTR.
They have all of the ingrediants of high fantasy, elves, dwarves, warrows (hobbits), orges, trolls (by other names) a group of loyal companions on a quest against evil. I stumbled onto this series late (Hel's Crucible). By then his writing had greatly improved and I enjoyed the books throughly. Purists may wish to start at the beginning and watch the story, and the writer, grow but you can start on later books and not really miss out on anything. Fun reads.

Truth Series by Dawn Cook

This series is delightful. The characters are kept to a minimum; a welcome change from heavier epic fantasy. There is romance, mystery, heartache, humor, prejudice, magic (or is it science?) and dragons. Well I picture them as dragons, Dawn Cook names them Ruka but they are still huge, winged, magical, intelligent lizards, yep, thats dragons! There is also an evil villain bent on taking over the world, but that just adds more flavor.

Dragon Riders of Pern by Anne Mcaffery

Anne Mcaffery is one of those authors whose books just leave you feeling good once you read the last page. While a combination of Sci-fi and Fantasy (the argument continues about which one it is) they sit on my fantasy shelf. Anyone who has ever dreamed of riding a dragon should read these.

Valdemar series by Mercedes Lackey
This is a large collection and every book in it is excellent. The concept of being *chosen* by a companion, which is essentially a telepathic horse with amazing powers, is delightful. Once chosen you become one of the elite heralds, protectors of the realm. Start with Arrows of the Queen.

The Belgariad (5), The Malloreon(5), The Elenium (3), The Tamuli(3) by David and Leigh Eddings
I can't say enough good about these books. They are full of rich content, fantastic worldbuilding and plenty of sorcery. One of my biggest draws is the humor, the interaction between characters can be side splitting at times. They are rift with dry wit, affectionate banter and personal quirks. My favorite books hands down.

Mists of Avalon by Marion Zimmer Bradley

I've always loved her writing, even her Sci-fi books and I'm not a huge Sci-fi fan. In this book she gives a feminist light on the Celtic era where Merlin reigned supreme by telling the story from the viewpoint of the women who played a part. In a topic that has been done to death, somehow she manages to make it all fresh and new, and a great read. There are more books in this series that she wrote with Diane L. Paxton including a prequel called Forest House.

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams and the sequels.

These books are a riot and considered a Sci-fi classic. If you want space travel with a heavy dose of irony and humor I suggest these.

Darkover series by Marion Zimmer Bradley
I'm not a Sci-fi fan but I still loved these and sometimes the line between sci-fi and fantasy gets blurred anyway. This is a huge series that can be read in any order since each was written to be a stand alone novel.
Darkover is a planet that is in a state of permanent Ice Age. The ruling class or Comyn, possess different types of Laran which are psychic powers. There are several unique cultures and alien races. Great reads.

Riftwar Saga by Raymond Feist.
Start with Magician: Apprentice and Magician: Master
Pug, an orphan boy is apprenticed to a magician and begins a set of adventures with his friend Thomas as their world is invaded by aliens who enter through a portal. These books were originally created as an alternate D&D world and quickly grew in popularity causing him to write a lot more books to add to the series.

Forgotten Realms books by R. A. Salvatore

There is no easy way to summarize these books, the scope is just too large. Best I can do is say they are full of adventure, elves, magic, and alternate worlds. Once you start reading these you will find yourself hooked.

The Wheel of Time (11 in print, 12th book to be written by Brandon Sanderson) by Robert Jordan
This huge sage takes place in a medievil type world where magic is called the One Power and can only be used by women. Men who are born with this ability are fated to go insane, if they live that long as once found are usually killed first. The saga centers around one man who, born with the One Power, is fated to save the world, while trying to save himself from insanity. The first book takes off slow as the extensive worldbuilding begins to take shape but once you get past that part you will never regret it.

The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant, the Unbeliever by Stephen R. Donaldson (1 and 2)
Thomas Covenant is a leper, outcast and misunderstood his disease makes everybody treat him with fear and mistrust. As a result he lives alone, shunning all human contact as much as possible. When he is suddenly transported to a world where he is healthy, where health is a very tangible force, he refuses to believe, afraid that if he does he'll cease to focus on the rituals that keep him alive. This series had a profound effect on me. The angst of Thomas Covenant, the force with which he refused to believe what was happening to him, the tragic events that have shaped his life were all heart wrenching. The first 6 books definitely changed how I looked at things, both inside and outside of myself. (Note I don't care for the new ones written recently, long after the first 2 sets, but thats me.)

Bone Doll's Twin, Hidden Warrior, Oracle's Queen (Tamir Trilogy) by Lynn Flewelling
In this story the boy twin is killed at birth and its body imprinted onto the girl twin in order that one day the girl could rule the kingdom (prophecy involved). Something goes wrong and the boy twin ends up haunting his sister (who doesn't even know she is a girl). This book is a really well crafted mix of ghost story (plenty of those), coming of age, with a twist and traditional fantasy with magic, warriors, witches and of course a well hated villain or 2.

A Song of Ice and Fire Series (4 in print, 3 planned) by George R. R. Martin
A ruthless story about a ruthless world where harsh winterlike conditions make for harsh and gritty characters. This series has all the typical elements of sword and sorcery; wars, prophecy, dragons (later in the series), invading creatures from another land, treason, betrayal, love, death and loyality. Martin tells this tale from the viewpoint of many different characters, each bringing a unique perspective on the unforgiving land in which they live. This series is rift with sex and violence and I do not recommend for younger teens.

Kushiel Series by Jacqueline Carey
If you want something completely different but with a definite adult theme try these. I recommend them highly for open minded adults. The world centers on a religion that honors sex and love in all its forms from sensual to masochistic. But its not a trash novel, the subject matter is handled in a very mature and reverent way. The story follows Phèdre as first a child in the "Night Court" to her training as a spy and on to her adventures both at home and across the lands. There is a touching love story, high adventure, political intrigue, and a complex world to enjoy. This series is on my favorites list.

The Sword of Truth, written by Terry Goodkind

Set in a medieval type world, Richard Cypher, a woods guide, lends a hand to a stranger who is searching for a nameless Wizard who disappeared many years ago. Along the way Richard is challenged in every way possible, physically, mentally and emotionally. This series showcases the virtue of remaining true to yourself and your morals, regardless of what life throws at you. The author himself says he wrote this series with adults in mind because of the focus on philosophical themes

Pre-history (meaning times before recorded history) try

Jean M. Auel's series Earth's Children.
This is a series of historical fiction based on archaeological and paleontological research. The magic in these is shamanic based and they are good reads.

The People's books by Kathleen O'Neal Gear and W. Michael Gear

Prehistoric North America based on archaeological and paleontological research.These are fictional stories based on what the authors imagine things were like but also based on evidence collected at actual archaeological sites. Each book covers a different site and a different tribal culture.
Mulluane Lonewolf

Dragons, Heroes and Wizards
Old Bat's Belfry

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 11:55 pm
Post subject: Recommendations

Here are the recommendations I have for books that I really got into in no particular order - just whatever I happen to see first as I'm looking over my book shelves

1. The Dark Tower Series by Stephen King
The Gunslinger
The Drawing of the Three
The Waste Lands
Wizard and Glass
Wolves of the Calla
Song of Susannah
The Dark Tower

I will preface this by warning anyone who reads this series that the ending to it has upset many people. I am different in this case because my friend was telling me about the series and the ending and I picked it up out of morbid curiousity. I would recommend this series to anyone that likes a little bit of suspense and is looking for something that is a "thinker".

2. The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant, the Unbeliever

The First Chronicles:
Lord Foul's Bane
The Illearth War
The Power that Preserves

The Second Chronicles
The Wounded Land
The One Tree
White Gold Wielder

The Last Chronicles:
The Runes of the Earth
Fatal Revenant
Against All Things Ending (planned for 2010)
The Last Dark (planned for 2013)

These books were recommended to me by my boss and at first I had a hard time getting in to them but once they got going I had a really hard time putting them down. I would say that if someone was into fantasy but wasn't looking for something with almost an anit-hero that's away from a lot of the traditional fantasy stereotypes he or she would do well to pick this series up.

3. Magic of Recluce by L.E. Moedsitt, JR.

Good introduction to the Recluce novels, I only read the first one and thought it was a fun stand alone. Coming of age and have to go on a quest kind of story.

4. American Gods By Neil Gaiman

Shadow, main character gets in way over his head in this novel where the old Gods and New Gods (greed, etc...) battle it out. Set more in present time and world.

5. Good Omens by Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett

One demon and one angel were left on the world to move around people to do either good or bad things but during their hundreds of years on Earth they get comfortable. Then the time of the appocolypse nears and shenanigans ensure. Hilarious book.

6. The Lon Tobyn Chornicles by David B. Coe
Children of Amarid
The Outlanders

Good amount of politics. Basic story of what happens when the people you always thought were protecting you start attacking you and how do they deal with the wackiness that ensues. Yet another unique look at magic and how it can be implemented in the fantasy world.

7. Twilight Series by Stephanie Meyer
New Moon
Breaking Dawn

Good read for a rainy day. Gets pretty mushy but think some of the humor in it is worth note. From the reviews I've read people either love it or hate it.

8. Kushiel Series by Jacqueline Carey
Kushiel's Dart
Kushiel's Chosen

Very Adult Content so beware! One of the best books I've ever read around politics but I was somewhat embarassed to recommend them to my friends, very riske! There's a second part to the series out now but I haven't read it.

9/10. Harry Potter series by J.K. Rowling and Inheritance Series by Christopher Paolini.

I won't write too much because I think almost everyone has read these by now. I loved the Harry Potter series. The last book that just came out of the Inheritence series let me down of hopefully the next book will be better.

11. The Sword of Truth Series by Terry Goodkindhttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terry_Goodkind#Published_works

This was a great series. Very much a classic fantasy novel of someone unexpecting being named a hero and then the montage of becomming one.

12. Wheel of Time by Robert Jordan, last book forthcoming and being compiled by Brandon Sanderson

If you are a fantasy fan you need to read this series, end of story. Set aside about 6 months to do it though....

13. Innocent Mage and Awakened Mage by Karen Miller

This was a surprise find and a good read. Stays pretty basic but the characters are developed well and pretty easy to get attached to. Not anything epic but an intriguing story.

14. DragonLance by Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman
There's so many books to the series and many different and better starting points than this but most recently I've read
War of the Twins
Time of the Twins
Test of the Twins

Great series especially if you have time to get into them. Definitely do not start with these books but after you have read the main ones these are good ones to move into. If you are Paper and Pen RPG at all you will love these because that's where their inspiration came from.

15. Chornicles of the Necromancer by Gail Z. Martin
The Summoner
The Blood King

Tris can speak to ghosts and realizes that there aren't as many around as there should be. Princes, sorcery, hositle take over, villiany, great series all around and only two books in so hopefully lots more to look forward to.

I know I tried to keep a lot of these pretty short but hopefully if someone is looking for great series to read this will give his or her a good start. I have more suggestions or in depth description if anyone needs them and have a three page book list of my next conquest so will keep you posted if anymore must reads!
Tar Ancalime

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 3:51 pm
Post subject:

I agree with many of the recommendations already posted, particularly Julliet Marillier, Karen Miller and Robert Jordan. I'd also like to add a couple of others. These are;

The Chronicles of the Raven and The Legends of the Raven by James Barclay. These comprise six books and are excellent and yet I don't think I saw them mentioned.

Also, The Black Magician Trilogy by Trudi Canavan. Another excellent series which I couldn't put down.

All of these are books which I get very involved with and can easily forget the rest of the world exists while reading them!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 11:10 am
Post subject:

I see a lot of recommendations for Carey's Kushiel series, which are pretty good, but have any of you guys ever read her other series The Sundering? The two books are called Banewreaker and Godslayer. Really interesting take on Tolkien, from the "evil" point of view. People who are familiar with Tolkien (especially The Silmarillion) may really enjoy drawing the parallels between the two.

I also highly recommend Gene Wolfe's Sun books, which are really three different series that tie together. I love the way Wolfe plays with the reader's mind by writing the majority of them in 1st person, but the narrator just flat out lies to the reader at many different points in the story. Definitely a series that re-reading actually helps you understand exactly what is going on.

Book of the New Sun
1. Shadow of the Torturer
2. Claw of the Conciliator
3. Sword of the Lector
4. Citadel of the Autarch

and the 'sequel' to the series the stand-alone novel: Urth of the New Sun

Book of the Long Sun
1. Nightside of the Long Sun
2. Lake of the Long Sun
3. Calde of the Long Sun
4. Exodus From the Long Sun

Book of the Short Sun
1. On Blue's Waters
2. In Green's Jungles
3. Return to the Whorl

These end up being more sci-fi than fantasy, and I think the last trilogy is my personal favorite, but I would definitely recommend checking them out.
If you like them there are numerous books that have been written by other authors to help explain exactly what is going on and those can be pretty fun to read as well.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 11:07 pm
Post subject:

Wow I love this! I've seen many of my favorites here, and a lot of new books and series for me to look into!

So, here is my contribution:

I love Mercedes Lackey. She teamed up with Andre Norton to write the Halfblood Chronicles about a half-human, half-elven girl raised by dragons who has to "deal with" elves! This is a light read with a lot of underlying deep themes and can be appreciated on multiple levels.

Mercedes Lackey's Dragon Jousters books were also very good. I love how she brought the Egyption-like culture to life. The series is about a slave boy and the dragon he secretly hatches.

Do you love Margaret Weis? The Dark Disciple series is very good.
Amber and Ashes
Amber and Iron
(Just out this month) Amber and Blood

I have not read the third book, Amber and Blood, yet, but the first two were fabulous... Mostly about Mina, who has to figure out who she is, and the good monk of Majere and his path to avenge his brother's poor choices. There are other gods and goddesses involved that not unlike Greek Mythology, mess with everything, but they make it interesting. I can't wait to get the third book! (While waiting for the third book, I started reading the previous book series about Mina, but have not gotten very far. It wasn't as easy a read as this series.)

That is just to name a few.
~If he works for you, you work for him.
-Japanese proverb

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 5:27 am
Post subject: Recommend Awake (Are We)? Part 1

This is the book I recommend.

Awake (Are We)? Part 1 Journey to the Waterfall Kingdom

If I gave it a rating in movie terms I would say a 12A

The back reads:

With the birth of a child comes his impossible destiny. An evil,
dark presence hangs menacingly over the fate of two worlds. A war is
coming and no one from the Wake World is aware of the danger. The
Shadow Night Lord and his dark army have the world of Sublin dangling
on a thread waiting for the time when he can seize the ultimate
power of destruction.
Can the One Dreamer of the Wake World, harness his own
dream energy and stand tall against the power of such an adversary
in Sublin’s darkest hour or will he be seduced by the rewards of such
supremacy? Only the paths he chooses can define the fate of the

The main site I found it on is Amazon and Barnes and Noble. Its also on Blackwell.

However the offical site is:

It really is a great read its fresh but also reminds me of a LOTR type thing.

If you love fantasy give it a try.

Cheers all

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 6:23 pm
Post subject:

I might be new, but that has never stopped me from having an opinion. Most of the books I read me not be classic fantasy, I like Sci-Fi and vampire/werewolf books. Not classical however does not mean unimportant. So I would like to recommend the Barrayar saga by Lois McMaster Bujold. These books tell the story of Miles Vorkosigan. Miles is a noble’s son on a very traditional planet. His people despise him for his birth defects, which have left him with weak bones and a small stature. Because of this Miles is denied his heritage of joining the army. Both bold and stubborn, Miles leaves his planet on a short vacation. His impulsiveness however leads him form one adventure to another. One of the most funny space adventures ever, I found the books even more funny then The Hitchhikers Guide tot the Galaxy.

Someone before me has mentioned Karen Miller (Innocent Mage and Awakened Mage). She has written a new series, a trilogy called Godspeaker (in reading order: Empress, The Riven Kingdom and Hammer of God). Really good books, although I’m waiting for the final books to be shipped in.

More traditional although also renewing are the Temeraire books by Naomi Novik. The books are set in an alternate history during Napoleons war on England. But this time with an air force (yes of dragons). Surprising dragons, but no less interesting.

And currently I’m reading Joe Abercrombie’s First Law Trilogy. The stories tells of an unlikely group of hero’s who have to save the world. Although the wizard leading them, seemed to forget to mention it to them. Great reading for now, but again the shipping takes time (maybe I should move to the States).
Divers allways go down .oO( )

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 4:55 am
Post subject:

Well I will go with some of my newer selections since most of my recommendations have been covered by others LOL

Patrica Brigg - Mercedes Thomson Series
Moon Called
Blood Bound
Iron Kissed

A good female lead, great plot and action plus werewolves, vampires, fae and more set in the modern time. I wasn't sure what to expect when I picked this up but she dazzled me with the characters and not once did I ever think "That is completely retarded, why is the character doing that"

Terry Prachett's Discworld
Going Postal
Making Money
Hogfather and many more

I really can't recommend Terry Prachett more, he has the ability to take anything and make fun of it without obviously making fun of it... if that makes sense. The books can be read in any order and its always fun to reread previous books and catch character mentions or plot mentions from other books that he weaves in seamlessly. Wacky wizards, insane assassins, truthful con artist and of course, Death!

Joanne Bertin - Dragonlord Trilogy
The Last Dragonlord
Dragon and the Phoenix

A pretty solild fantasy series. The main characters in the story are weredragons, humans born with a dragon soul also inside of them and that allows them to shift between human or dragon. A great romance and action story that shows the curse of being virtually immortal and the search for each dragon's soulmate. Sadly the third book she has been "working on" since 1999 so who knows if we will ever get it but the first two are very good reads.

Wild Card Series - George R.R. martin
Inside Straight Busted Flush, Down and Dirty and Ace
While not really fantasy or scifi, I picked up the first two books expecting something along the lines of his Song of Fire and Ice and was completely blown away. The premise of the series is a alien ship crashed into earth in 1946 and unleashed the Wild Card virus, that killed 90% of people, 9% become mutated and 1% gained superpowers. Inside Straight starts with characters trying out for American Superhero (American Idol but with superheroes) and turns into a pretty good series story. GRR edited almost all of the books but many of the books like Down and Dirty are short stories packed into a single book. A very "true" look at the world if there were superpowers, very few people have dual identities, governments struggle to control the most powerful while those with seemingly useless powers, ie the ability to grow your hair or hover 2 inches above the ground being on the bottom of the ladder. I highly recommend Inside Straight and its sequel Busted Flush since they are directly written by GRR and are "traditional" 300 page novels.

David Louis Edelman - Jump 225

A very intriguing sci-fi series, set place in a world were all humans have nanomachines coursing through their bodies so the future of technologist is computer programming. The nanomachines can do anything but they depend on the code that people write thus the economy and world have focused on computer software development. The main character is a absolute bastard, I hated him within the first 100 pages but he grew on me, one of those characters you love to hate because he is a product of the environment that he grew up in. A strange but awesome world of sci-fiction.
"Introduce a little anarchy, upset the established order, and everything becomes chaos, I’m an agent of chaos , and you know the thing about chaos? It’s fair"

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 5:18 pm
Post subject:

Hey I was just thinking, if anyone likes the Mercedes Thompson series by Patricia Briggs, I have some recommendations.
I would advice the Night Huntress series (Halfway to the Grave, One Foot in the Grave) by Jeaniene Frost. The stories are about a girl who is a very rare halfblood vampire. She meets up with a full blood vampire. She fights evil vampires, and he is a bountyhunter. They hate each other but coincedence makes them partners.

Also a good writer is Kim Harrisons with her books on Rachel Morgan. A witch living in a world were all paranormal creatures have come out of the closet. When she quits her police job she becomes the target of a death threat and she has to be very inventive to stay alive and to stay in business as private detective.

And last, maybe more suited for the boys :wink:
Jim Butcher's Dresden files. Harry Dresden is a working wizard in chicago. You can look him up in the phone book under wizards (he's the only one there). Young but powerfull Harry always takes on more then he can handle. Being closely watched by a wizard cop doesn't help either.

And probably I should be able to name more books and writers but unfortunately I'm not that organised, so more post coming up 8)
Divers allways go down .oO( )

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 7:11 pm
Post subject:

I ALWAYS recommend George R.R. Martin's Ice and Fire series, but doesn't everybody?

I also highly recommend the Dark is Rising Series by Susan Cooper. This is a five book series for young adults, but one of my favorite things is that certain characters are more or less significant throughout the series (some folks are main characters in only a few of the books, or characters are introduced partially through the series, only to remain significant throughout the rest.)

As for contemporary fantasy, I've recently gotten into Michael Scott's Alchemyst series. This is a really imaginative series that first caught my eye because the first book takes place in modern day California, but it held my attention through it's imaginative take on the genre (people's magical powers smell, magic is really just the way everyone used to be, etc.). Very fun and easy reading.

Hope this helps!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fantasy Freaks Forum Forum Index -> Bookish All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: