The time now is Wed Nov 21, 2018 12:32 am
View unanswered posts
sweet potato rolls - so sweet!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fantasy Freaks Forum Forum Index -> Yummy in my Tummy
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jade
Seven of Jade

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 2:16 pm
Post subject: sweet potato rolls - so sweet!

my mom has had this recipe for potato rolls that she's been using for years, and which have always been really good. Then she started using yams or sweet potatos instead, and they were even better...

Then she came over here to stay with me for a bit, and wanted to make some, but didn't have her recipe. Naturally, she turned to the internet, and discovered a recipe that's healthier and tastes even better!

So here it is, it's easy, delicious, and I think everyone should try them:

I recommend using the method we've always used for baking them - with a muffin tin (and I particularly recommend silicon ones, cause then they're guaranteed not to stick). Get a little piece of dough and roll it into a ball, a little less than an inch in diameter. Make three of them, and put them into a muffin tin hole like a three-leaf clover. Then you get these cool clover leaf rolls, and they're delicious and easy ;-)

INGREDIENTS

* 1 (.25 ounce) package active dry yeast
* 4 tablespoons white sugar
* 1 1/2 cups canned sweet potato puree
* 1/2 cup warm water (110 degrees F/45 degrees C)
* 3 tablespoons margarine, softened
* 1 teaspoon salt
* 2 eggs
* 3 cups all-purpose flour

DIRECTIONS

1. Dissolve yeast, warm water, and 1 tablespoon sugar in a mixing bowl. Let stand 5 minutes.
2. Add remaining sugar, sweet potato, butter or margarine, salt, and slightly beaten eggs. Stir to mix well. Stir in 3 cups of flour. Turn out on a lightly floured surface. Knead 2 to 3 minutes, adding just enough of remaining flour to prevent sticking. Do not knead too heavily; when smooth, shape into a ball. Place in an oiled bowl, and turn to coat the surface. Cover, and let raise about 1 hour or longer.
3. Punch down, and allow dough to rest for 2 minutes. Divide into 16 to 20 balls, and place on a greased cookie sheet or in a 9x13 inch pan. Allow to rise until doubled.
4. Bake at 375 degrees F (190 degrees C) for 12 to 20 minutes. Serve warm.

They're best fresh right out of the oven, obviously, but they're actually pretty good microwaved later on, too. Split open the clover leaf and put a little butter inside, and mmmmmmmmmm. I'm making some right now!

Loial

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 9:07 am
Post subject:

Hi Jade,

I just wanted to tell you that I tried your recipe and it was wonderful. It was my first attempt at baking ever, so I was somewhat amazed when it actually worked :).
Now I already have a full stomach, with more rolls baking in the oven.

Thanks for the great recipe,
Loial
seelie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 1:31 pm
Post subject:

oh my gosh! I made these last night for dinner and they were fantastic!! compliments on the recipe, they were a HUGE hit. My kids loved that we could easily pull them apart, they said it was kind of like eating monkey bread for dinner.
Dudde
The Monster at the end of this Post

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 6:14 pm
Post subject:

I can't believe I missed this thread from so long ago!

=O

I'm totally making these...once I find a can and a half of sweet potato puree
seelie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 10:39 am
Post subject:

silly.... you can make your own. Just make the sweet potatoes like you would for smashing them, pop them in a blender or food processor and puree away!!
Dudde
The Monster at the end of this Post

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 8:30 pm
Post subject:

yeah I know...I would never use pre-canned ingredients like that (unless to make them it takes forever), but I forgot I had a blender, and I live in Oklahoma, which I associate with not good fresh produce and sweet potatoes =D
Jade
Seven of Jade

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 1:10 am
Post subject:

wow, I haven't made these in forever..... now I want some! I'm glad you guys liked them!

Jade
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fantasy Freaks Forum Forum Index -> Yummy in my Tummy All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: