The time now is Sun Oct 13, 2019 7:41 pm
View unanswered posts
The Gathering Storm - Forum Etiquette
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fantasy Freaks Forum Forum Index -> The Black Tower
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rhodric
Lord of the Morning

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 11:29 am
Post subject: The Gathering Storm - Forum Etiquette

The storm is almost here. It's one week more or less before it officially hits store shelves. I say officially, because like with all other wot books a few lucky souls have been able to get early copies through either nefarious means or bookstore ineptness. I just wanted to go over how we as a community should treat the book and talk about it. In days of yore, we've employed "spoiler space" at the top of posts. example

*spoiler*

*spoiler*

*spoiler*

dude Bela is Nae'blis.

Spoiler space is nice, but it can be dicey, depending on the browser and configurations of other users, plus it's annoying as hell to do it all the time. I don't think that policy is necessary in this place and time. The books have been out nineteen years, and besides, this entire forum is pretty much a giant spoiler. It should be common sense, but if you see 'The Gathering Storm,' be prepared for bloody flaming spoilers. The only exception is if someone wants to post something without spoilers, a review or general thoughts on a chapter: no-spoilers in the subject thread can be used. I've been thinking how we should discuss this book at the time of release and the first few weeks it is out. Many times, despite good intentions, spoilers are conferred with just the titles of threads. I mean just naming a location or a character or even something vague like "trouble?" can confer spoilers by logical reasoning and deduction. I've seen it before...I don't think I've been spoiled yet at other forums but it's largely because I'm a master at ignoring what I don't want to see and repressing memories I don't want to have.

So these are my thoughts. I am not a global admin, just an admin for this sub forum, so feedback is always welcome. What I want to do is copy the bookclub forum. What I mean by that is, put premade "placeholder" posts for TGS up. an Example would be "The Gathering Storm: Ch. 1-5 Discussion (spoilers)." I think after November people could make their own unique threads because will have given everyone at least a good amount of time to read the book. The idea is we all talk about chapters 1-5 in that thread. What we liked, didn't like, theories, thoughts gripes. My only fear is that if i put up all the placeholders before release, that the number of chapters themselves will be a spoiler people don't want. So, any thoughts on this? Too anal? I just want to have a hands-off free flowing discussion with as many people happy as possible and nobody spoiled that does not want to be.

Oh and as the prologue has already been talked about, you can talk about it in that thread, no need to make duplicates.

~Rhodric

Alle
The First Evil

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 12:00 pm
Post subject:

How about the poster making the title The Gathering Storm: spoilers through chapter XX. Then anyone who is also up to that point in the book can add to the discussion. There would then be no placeholders, so no number of chapters revealed ahead of time. The only problem then is you would have to rely on us to post the subject heading properly, but this group has been really good about that in the past.

Last edited by Alle on Tue Oct 20, 2009 1:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
Rhodric
Lord of the Morning

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 12:07 pm
Post subject:

That sounds like a good idea Alle. I don't think anyone here would maliciously post spoilers in title, or do it unintentionally either. So we'll do that. So lets do as Alle suggests

"The Gathering Storm: Spoilers through chapter XX as the title.
Caleyna
Queen of Silliness

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 12:23 pm
Post subject:

Sounds good my little Rho-bot.
Patrick
Sleepless Sonneteer

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 1:03 pm
Post subject:

*thumbs up*

I have issued an official Patrick M. Hayes Decree™ that summarily bans studying of any sort from the moment the book arrives on October 29 to the moment I finish reading the last page...barring the times when I am actually required to be in the classroom, of course.

I've been waiting for more than four years for this, and neither rain, nor snow, nor heat, nor gloom of law school will stay this reader from his appointed duty.

On a mountain of skulls in a castle of pain, I sat on a throne of blood. What was will be, what is will be no more. Now is the season of evil!
Alle
The First Evil

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 1:15 pm
Post subject:

Your decree sounds good Pat. I have gotten the 27th and 28th off from work, so will be reading at a beach nearby, weather permitting. Woohoo!
Patrick
Sleepless Sonneteer

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 1:29 pm
Post subject:

Heh...I would seriously take Friday off if I could but I've missed too much class already. I'll get out at 2:35 that day and you can bet I'm running home and cracking it open without delay.

I think it's just awesome how our lives just suddenly stop for a new Wheel of Time book. How many times is that, now? I dropped everything to read the new WoT book with CoT and KoD....

I only ever did the same thing with the last two HP books.

On a mountain of skulls in a castle of pain, I sat on a throne of blood. What was will be, what is will be no more. Now is the season of evil!
Alle
The First Evil

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 2:03 pm
Post subject:

*l* I've been doing the day off to read at the beach since LoC. HP was easy since they came out on Saturdays, so no problem avoiding work when I was already off. *s*

I even had a friend visiting during a WoT release...aCoS, and I totally ditched him for WoT. *nods*
Kheltan
Silky Smooth Since Seventeen

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 2:04 pm
Post subject:

I am not an admin on this site, but have we considered adding a custom "[spoiler],[/spoiler]" tag to the board that will hide the text unless a button is clicked? I'm looking at the script on the backend of the site right now and it seems pretty straight forward. Alternately, I'm sure there are pre-made mod's for this version phpBB that include a spoiler, hide, or mask tag.

Just a thought. I can see what I can whip together if you like

Rhodric
Lord of the Morning

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 2:08 pm
Post subject:

I know what you're talking about Khel, and that's a great idea. What say you big shot global admins??
Rhodric
Lord of the Morning

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 2:09 pm
Post subject:

Hmm I've been dropping everything since tEotW. But i'm not addicted or obsessed. Just dedicated. *nods*
Caleyna
Queen of Silliness

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 2:52 pm
Post subject:

I have no idea how to do what Khel suggests, but if he is williing to do it all then I think that is a fine idea.
Caryla
Lily in Winter

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 3:06 pm
Post subject:

Rhodric wrote:
Hmm I've been dropping everything since tEotW. But i'm not addicted or obsessed. Just dedicated. *nods*

*Nods* Yep. You're just dedicated.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Kheltan

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 3:24 pm
Post subject:

Caly wrote:
I have no idea how to do what Khel suggests, but if he is williing to do it all then I think that is a fine idea.

Well, I'm having trouble finding a suitable mod for phpBB 2.0.x (which is what this site appears to be running on). I will keep looking. Otherwise, I'll either need admin access to the backend scripting of the site or, if you prefer, a more-or-less full copy of the site that I can load locally on my PC for modification and testing. Should be a simple matter of definining the new tag in VB and creating the logic behind how the tag will work. As far as getting the mod installed, it should just require replacing a couple of the site's config files with ones updated that include the mod.

I will keep looking for a pre-made mod, but it really doesn't look like making the addition will be too hard. I should be able to have it figured out before TGS comes out in a week. Even if we don't get it up right away, I think this is a feature that the site can really use. Make all of our lives easier when dealing with reviews, discussions, etc.

Just let me know what you think!

Kheltan

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 3:36 pm
Post subject:

Ok, I found one. Now exactly what I was looking for, but it will serve our purpose with a little tweeking:
Don't Spoil It!

If you scroll down a little they show a screen shot sample of what it looks like collapsed and revealed. I have already dl'ed the mod and it looks like the installation will take about 5 minutes. However, because we are using a non-standard theme on the site, it may require a little css formating to get the right appearance.

mononokifool

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 3:43 pm
Post subject:

i havnt read all the books yet but im going to pick it up so i can have a copy of the first edition
Rhodric
Lord of the Morning

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 3:54 pm
Post subject:

Good man. And when you get to TGS in your read I (we) will be glad to discuss it with you if you so desire. ^^
mononokifool

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 11:35 pm
Post subject:

i would love to discuss it but from now to then i think i will hide myself from this corner of the forums. *hides under a blanket with his flashlight*
Rhodric
Lord of the Morning

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 2:21 am
Post subject:

You know, the first time I read tFoH (book 5) I did it under a blanket with a flashlight. I was like 12 and it was a school night, and I not supposed to still be up at say 4am. Its hard to believe now with my glorious innocence, but I was naughty child.

*polishes halo*
BananaSplitLady

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 7:58 am
Post subject:

Ah yes, I totally did that with Harry Potter 4 and 5. Actually, when 5 came out my mom bought me a copy, but I wasn't supposed to read it until I went to the swimming pool enough times since she bought me a pool pass that I never used. Instead, while she wasn't looking I switched the book covers since they were roughly the same size. So I read book 5 right in front of her, while she thought I was rereading book 4.

Anyway, I'm probably going to buy it like mononokifool, even though I'm no where near reading it yet. I've decided not to go to the release party because, without a doubt, I'd be spoiled there... though I'm sure I'm going to regret it a bit later on. I will, however, track down Brandon Sanderson later and have him sign my book since he's a local author here.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fantasy Freaks Forum Forum Index -> The Black Tower All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: