The time now is Sun Dec 08, 2019 2:38 am
View unanswered posts
Tea Parties: Not Just for Little Girls Anymore

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fantasy Freaks Forum Forum Index -> Hot Hot Hot
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Xinpheld
Bird Man of Alka-Seltzer

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 2:51 pm
Post subject: Tea Parties: Not Just for Little Girls Anymore

So is anyone going to be out teaba... um, out for a Tea Tax party this afternoon/evening? Does anyone else find this idea repugnant and hypocritical?

Just askin'. I'm sad to report that my brother (and diametric opposite) will be out to one today. Sigh.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Prusillus

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 5:45 pm
Post subject:

I'm not sure I get the significance...hasn't the time long passed that we could protest anything our government does and get noticed for it?
Dudde
The Monster at the end of this Post

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 6:28 pm
Post subject:

EEEWWW that's horrible, although I laughed at your..erm...correction, I think that's how I'll start referring to tea parties and their followers! What's funny is that they're protesting tax hikes and the complexity of taxes when the current plan just cut taxes and the president is actually working on a way to try and make taxes simpler pretty much as we speak!

how funny - and yet, I find it completely annoying, bah humbug.

Quote:
hasn't the time long passed that we could protest anything our government does and get noticed for it?

Certainly not, protests are one of the best ways in the country (for some people) to make their opinions known, it still works well - just, a lot of times, their messages are lost after the protesters start painting graffiti and throwing fire at police officers, and then claiming police brutality when they get arrested =D At least that's my goal
Caleyna
Queen of Silliness

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 6:29 pm
Post subject:

I haven't even heard of this, except for something you posted the other day. And yeah, it just makes me think of the thing it makes you think of. Good for them for protesting, I guess. I believe in grass roots campaigns, though I am on the opposite end of the spectrum. I think. It's the conservaties organzing these, right?
Dudde

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 7:58 pm
Post subject:

Yeah pretty much:

http://www.cnn.com/2009/POLITICS/04/15/tea.parties/index.html

They're actually ridiculous in this case - people are protesting against things that are pretty much in motion already. It's really a change for the right wing conservative extremists to show off and get followers
Patrick
Sleepless Sonneteer

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 9:42 pm
Post subject:

I think it's an unconscionable waste of perfectly good tea...otherwise I'm like "meh." I'm not a big one for protests of this sort. I mean, really...even if a million people did it, would that change the stimulus plan? Or lower taxes? Or give people the direct voice they think they want on such issues?

If I were organizing an anti-stimulus protest (not that I would, mind you...I have mixed feelings about it, personally, unless they start forgiving student loan debt, in which case I'd become an instant pro-stim zealot :P) I'd start by mass-mailing (snail and electronic) the people who are responsible, i.e. the Obama Administration and the Congress, and I'd urge concerned people to light up their phone switchboards, too.

The most effective thing to do about it? Get people elected who wouldn't have supported such a thing, consequently throwing out the folks who did. Chanting slogans and filling the streets aren't useless, and I'd never suggest that they are, but they're a starting point to change, perhaps even catalysts in some cases, not the change itself. I think a lot of people these days view protests as an end in themselves rather than as a means to an end. Scream and yell and march all you want, but you've got to do more to actually change things.

And please don't destroy perfectly good tea. That's just uncivilized.

On a mountain of skulls in a castle of pain, I sat on a throne of blood. What was will be, what is will be no more. Now is the season of evil!
Dudde

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 12:40 am
Post subject:

Actually,

http://money.cnn.com/2009/04/15/news/economy/loan_forgiveness/index.htm

It's not of course a way to ditch student loans and get out of repayment, but it's a pretty sweet deal if you like public service - which I do!

Also, a large portion of the Stimulus went to tax cuts for middle-class workers:

http://www.four-pillars.ca/2009/01/23/economic-stimulus-money-tax-cut-package-2009/

Quote:
President Obama has proposed an economic stimulus tax cut package for 2009 which contain about $275 billion worth of tax cuts to individual tax payers as well as businesses.

And I've heard about people protesting that the tax season is too stressful because Taxes are too hard - besides being ridiculous and incorrect:

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0409/21282.html
Quote:
President Barack Obama used tax filing day Wednesday to hold out hope for stressed-out taxpayers that he’ll pare down the “monstrous” tax code to make it easier to file.

Which was actually put into the starting phase a few weeks ago.

Of course I'm not saying I believe everything the news tells me - but I believe them more than the extreme conservatives =D

EDIT:
Oh yeah, I'm one of the bad people who think that we should increase taxes for a few years for those who can afford it - I'm not throwing these out because I'm a crazy fanboy :c
Xinpheld
Bird Man of Alka-Seltzer

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 6:03 am
Post subject:

Patrick wrote:
I think it's an unconscionable waste of perfectly good tea.

The 'million teabag march' (my phrase - they said they'd bought a million bags of tea for the event) failed in D.C. yesterday, because they didn't get the right permit to dump them in the river. Ironic, no? One person apparently chucked one of the boxes of tea over the White House fence before they left. I hope they plan on donating the rest.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Rhodric
Lord of the Morning

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 7:05 pm
Post subject:

I was at a tea party today. We threw one hundred thousand Stone of Tremalking Black into the Sea of Storms, protesting Sea Folk arrogance and aggression.
Dudde

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 10:11 am
Post subject:

That seems slightly counterproductive. If you're protesting against seafolk aggression, aren't you kind of encouraging them by giving them something to drink?
Rhodric
Lord of the Morning

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 10:49 am
Post subject:

Not precisely dudde. It would be hard to explain, but just take my word for it, Sea Folk are the devil.
Xinpheld
Bird Man of Alka-Seltzer

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:12 am
Post subject:

They wanted to be cool, but somewhere in the middle of the series they lost a collective saving throw vs. Irrelevancy. Now we just wish they were in on the Tremalking pact.
Rhodric
Lord of the Morning

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:20 am
Post subject:

I don't know about that Xin. I'm beginning to think they were always the way they are and Coine and Jorin of Wavedancer and tSR fame were just anomalies. Good summation though, love the saving through reference dooood.

~rhodric
LunaRaven

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 7:33 pm
Post subject:

*Shrieks and drops a stitch on the funk-tastic tea cozy that she was knitting* WAISTING TEA! For the love of wonderland, why would anyone commit such an atrocious offense! Don't people understand that the more tea that is shamefully wasted in our waters, the more merfolk will become avidly addicted to tea! What's wrong with tea addicted merfolk, you may ask. I'LL TELL YOU WHAT'S SNEEZING WRONG! You can't get good quality tea in the ocean! It all tastes of seaweed! But if you get the merfolk addicted to the good stuff, they'll start coming for the source! Herds of dolphins I tell you-herds!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fantasy Freaks Forum Forum Index -> Hot Hot Hot All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: