The time now is Wed Nov 21, 2018 1:11 am
View unanswered posts
Sangria, as promised
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fantasy Freaks Forum Forum Index -> Yummy in my Tummy
View previous topic :: View next topic  
seelie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 11:26 am
Post subject:

Free room and board in exchange for cooking?? See..... TOO easy!! I would cook for you just for the pure pleasure of seeing the reaction of pure bliss! Last night was chicken & pasta. And that sounds so lame to say so let me explain...........

boneless, skinless chicken breast, pounded down so they are extremely thin (best to do between 2 pieces of plastic wrap). A mixture of ricotta cheese, sauteed portobella mushrooms & sundried tomatoes. Put the mixture on the chicken and roll up, tying with butcher string. Place a thick slice of fresh mozzerella on top. Bake @ 400º for about 45 minutes.

I used angel hair pasta, using some italian seasoning in the water to infuse the flavors into the pasta. Tosses with an oil/garlic mixture (the bottles of white pizza sauce work perfectly) and the rest of the mushrooms and tomatoes. Place the chicken on top of the bed of pasta and there you have it! soooooooo good!

Those pudding shots are all ones that we have done. You should have seen the Super Bowl party we had! There were about 15 different varieties!
Rhodric
Lord of the Morning

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 4:53 pm
Post subject:

15? ....can I come over? *puppy dog eyes*
Dudde
The Monster at the end of this Post

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 7:08 pm
Post subject:

I completely agree - but the joy of seeing the bliss on my face isn't enough! If you don't have to work or pay rent or anything, you'll be much more content to stay and provide said alc..bliss, instead of moving all those pudding shots away when you get bored!

That sounds kinda creepy, like a stalker, I should take up stalking!
Rhodric
Lord of the Morning

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 8:53 pm
Post subject:

I would say stalk me but i'm afraid you would! Suikoden II and all that...
seelie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 12:47 pm
Post subject:

yeah, but then I would feel like I am under contributing to the household! Food and beverage in exchange for room and board is not exactly an even trade. But if you would like to stalk me, I am willing to play along for a while. I do quite well with stalkers! I don't give them what they want, make them question why they are stalking in the first place, don't really get scared and eventually they wander away........ shall i tell you what was for dinner this past weekend?? 3 recipes, all divine (IMHO) and guaranteed to make you feel bloated and over full, but oh so yummy!!!
Dudde

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 7:16 pm
Post subject:

I'm down for that, as long as you're in the habit of leaving freshly created culinary happiness untouched in a location easy to get to... so what were these recipes? We're in the food forum after all!
seelie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 10:54 am
Post subject:

Will the new-fangled appliance called a refrigerator work for you?? That is where I keep food that I have cooked :P Peferctly placed for easy reaching to heat up and eat whenever you want!

Alright, down to business!! First was deep-fried ravioli and chicken & steak wraps. I make my own sauce, that takes about 4 hours, so it's good for Saturday morning, Now. Any bag of frozen ravioli, cook them according to the package, rinse in cold water. To bread the, use egg whites and italian bread crumbs with fresh parmesean cheese. I use a skillet with hot vegetable oil to fry them. Place them on a big plate with a bowl of that sauce and a bowl of alfredo for dipping.... it's the perfect appetizer or meal! The wraps are quite simple. Take large shells, like you would use for quesadillas, steak or chicken seasoned, shredders monterey jack and colby cheese, lettuce, tomato... whatever you like, Avacados are good too. Then in a sandwich maker, brown the outside so everything is melted.

Next up is pierogie lasagna. Pierogies are a staple food here in SW PA. So any recipe that used the bases in them make for a wonderful meal. Make 5 pounds of mashed potatoes. DO NOT USE INSTANT!!!!!! when you are whipping the potatoes, mix in a stick of butter and a medium container of sour cream. In a lasagna pan (or 13x9 if that is what you have) put a thin layer of the potatoes, to keep things from sticking. Then a layer of the no-bake lasagna noodles, then a layer of potatoes, then a layer of lasagna cheese mixture (big container of riccotta cheese, sharp cheddar and mozzerella), do that until the pan is filled. Cover in foil and bake for about 40 minutes at 375º. Let it sit for about 10 minutes. While it is sitting, slice up some keilbasa and fry it up in a frying pan. DEVINE!!

Also made pork chops. Boneless, country style pork ribs, breaded and cooked in butter on the stove top. To go with those I made shredded potatoes, (think hash browns) with shard cheddar cheese, chipolte seasoning and mushrooms. Mixed those al together, baked in a 400º over for 30 minutes. Carrots cooked with honey, nutmeg & cinnamon!
Xinpheld
Bird Man of Alka-Seltzer

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 11:19 am
Post subject:

The mere mention of fried ravioli immediately makes you my wife's best friend. A plate of those and some pudding shots, and the night is set.

The lasagna sounds excellent. I'm a little shocked that you don't use Parmesan. Is cheddar a regional replacement for that, or is just for the pirogi-ness? Also, I wonder if this recipe would work as well with sweet potatoes, maybe with a different cheese combo. Just thinking about it makes me hungry.

I've got a pretty kick-ass straight up lasagna myself, and although I use ground meatless in it (we have two veggies in the family), it does usually feature sautéed onions, sliced portabellas (the steak of mushrooms!) and plenty of basil, fresh when i can find it.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
seelie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 12:59 pm
Post subject:

next time I make it, sweet potatoes it is...... maybe use the riccotta, brick and a mild cheddar. some cinnamon and nutmeg instead of sour cream...... by George I think you're on to something!!

I always use cheddar in any lasagna I make. Even the traditional. it gives it a smokey taste that compliments the sweetness of the riccotta. when i make a regular lasagna, i have to make 2 pans at once. I use 3 pounds of ground beef, 2 pounds of sweet italian sausage, 12 cups of cheese and then fresh parmesean on top. My kids will actually do a little happy dance when I tell them we are having lasagna. I have made a veggie lasagna using the portobellas (I agree, the BEST mushroom), sweet onions, zuchinni and yellow squash. That has always gone over well too. especially when you add a little toasted chibatta bread with some asiago cheese melted on it and italian seasoning. Either that or a fresh loaf of soft italian bread dipped in olive oil and seasoning...........
Xinpheld
Bird Man of Alka-Seltzer

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 1:18 pm
Post subject:

holy heck, woman, do you live with an army?

Lemme know how the sweet potato concoction comes out.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
seelie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 2:22 pm
Post subject:

nope. But I did grow up with a house full of boys, have 2 of my own now and am used to having at least 3 room mates at a time..... food gets eaten! Besides, cooking is relaxing for me and I can always freeze stuff! A few months ago in one day I made 2 lasagnas, chicken and stuffing, manacotti and fresh alfredo. Just because I didn't have anything to clean in the house and it was too cold to go out for a long walk!

I will definitely let you know about the sweet potatoes. I love them, not sure why I didn't think of it. I bet it would make a better side dish than a main dish though...... hmmmmmmmmmm
Dudde

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 5:39 pm
Post subject:

I need to update my list of Heroes:

Zorro
Seelie

There we go. Dude I totally cook when I'm bored, but the roommates I have are too dirty and won't clean up after themselves, so then I have to do it before and after cooking, and I can't :c

I've been thinking about making a lasagna sometime soon though...cause it's just so yummy!
Xinpheld
Bird Man of Alka-Seltzer

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 5:51 am
Post subject:

seelie wrote:
I bet it would make a better side dish than a main dish though...... hmmmmmmmmmm

Funny, I was just thinking the same thing this morning after I woke up.

Note: I think about stupid things at 530am.

seelie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 11:53 am
Post subject:

Awwww..... Hero status. don't think I am deserving of that, but it does make me all fuzzy and warm inside. And if I will be cooking for you in exchange for that room and board, I can clean too. Also one of my favorite things to do! :oops:

Thinking random things at 5:30 in the morning is not at all crazy or stupid. I actually thought about it alot last night. I am thinking of using cream cheese instead of the riccotta. Then a brick or munster and the sharp white cheddar....... we shall see I suppose.

Dinner last night was one of my favorites. Twice-baked meatloaf, fried cheesy potatoes and fresh asparagus in a catalina sauce. I use a package of onion soup mix in my meatloaf with the breadcrumbs, eggs, ketchup and a little bit of brown sugar. Instead of a big loaf, I use a muffin pan and make smaller ones. Pop into a 375º oven for about an hour. In a small sauce pan I melt together equal parts of ketchup & brown sugar then about 20 minutes before the loaves are done, I brush the tops with the sauce and let it bake until it is caramelized. Potates are simple, cube them up, season to taste, drizzle with seasame or olive oil (I like the seasamebecause it gives a nuttly flavor) and then put your choice of shredder cheese, we used colby-jack, let it melt and done. The asparagus, you wash mix in a bowl with a big bottle of Catalina or Country French salad dressing. put on a cookie sheet and bake at 350º until they are tender but still crisp.
Xinpheld
Bird Man of Alka-Seltzer

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 12:23 pm
Post subject:

seelie wrote:
I am thinking of using cream cheese instead of the riccotta.

The wife mentioned mascarpone cheese. Like cream cheese, but... cheesier.
seelie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 12:33 pm
Post subject:

good call! I think I need to steal your wife for my sous chef!
Xinpheld
Bird Man of Alka-Seltzer

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 12:53 pm
Post subject:

We make a good team, she and I. She's great with implementation, and I'm the flavor idea man. I can imagine flavor combinations in my head, so it saves a lot of cooking experimentation.
seelie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 3:18 pm
Post subject:

match made in Food Network heaven
Dudde

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 7:44 pm
Post subject:

You guys went all crazy today I see! Dude experimentation is one of the best ways to learn how to cook! I've actually been cooking since I was like 8, I started making spaghetti and pancakes (separately) at that age, and I helped in the kitchen since I was 6 (stoopid dishes)

Man you cook a lot for dinner Seelie, you ever find yourself why there's so much extra room on the side of your table? If you do, lemme know, I'll come over!
seelie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 12:17 pm
Post subject:

I do cook alot, but i don't make huge portions. It is usually my cousin and iI and then there will be enough for lunch the next day. Unless i am intentionally cooking for more people.

I learned how to cook before I was tall enough to see the stove top! My father's father and my mother's mother taught me. I never got the knack for baking though, too restaining with having to follow a recipe.....

Alright, last night was a pretty basic night. We had Delmonico steak with sauteed sweet onions and portobella mushrooms, shredded munster cheese melted on top. Cheese and mushroom stuffed rigatoni with a sauce made of olive oil, thyme, rosemary, oregano, garlic, onoin andparmesean cheese and a fresh salad with more of the Munster cheese, bacon, home made crutons and fresh Ranch dressing...... SO good! We are experimenting with Ben & Jerry's right now. We will buy 2 flavors and try them together. Right now we have a Gingersnap cookie and strawberry shortcake..... oh my oh my....... YUM!!!!!!!

All of you are more than welcome to share my dinner table, it truey makes me a happier person to cook for people!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fantasy Freaks Forum Forum Index -> Yummy in my Tummy All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: