The time now is Wed Nov 21, 2018 1:12 am
View unanswered posts
Noodles!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fantasy Freaks Forum Forum Index -> Yummy in my Tummy
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dudde
The Monster at the end of this Post

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 5:19 pm
Post subject: Noodles!

I'm at work right now so bear with me, but I've been playing with a lot of dough and making my own noodles the past week or two, and I think I have it down - well, except the whole weird shapes and sizes thing, but I think I like it that way. So in case any of you want to make noodles when you get bored. It takes a while to perfect the cutting and rolling, but the mixing part is pretty quick, I've cut my time down to where I can make this in about 45 minutes, including the 30 minutes of waiting, and it's easy to make sauce or soup on the stove for when you're done.

Ingredients:
>3/4 cup of all-purpose flour, or 1/2 cup all purpose flour and 1/4 cup of whole grain flour, OR about half of both high-gluten and low-gluten flour

>1 egg

>a few teaspoons of salt, to taste

>about a tablespoon of warm water

To Make
> dump the ingredients onto the floured surface and start kneading the flour together - trust me, it's gonna stick, but if you take anti-sticking counter measures, it takes infinitely longer than it does to just knead
> Knead the dough until it will stick to your hand for a second after lifting it up - if it's way too dry, wet your hands a little and knead some more, if it won't come off without a fight, throw some more flour!
> At this point, you'll want to wrap the dough into a warm damp cloth and let it set for a while - around 30 minutes for warmer or drier climates, up to an hour to 90 minutes for colder or more humid areas (this part I jacked from somebody online, but it works a lot better)
** Please have a rolling pin - I've been using a plastic cup, it's hard!*
> Roll the dough using a rolling pin until it's about 1mm thick, then wait for 10 seconds because it'll try to jump up again to a huge thickness and do it again!
> Flour the top of the dough and fold in half lightly - put flour on the next surface and fold again lightly (if it's too violent, your layers stick together, and you get really thick unwieldy noodles)
> At this point, start some water to boil, adding the salt
> Slice the dough using a sharp knife into really skinny segments, or really wide if you want wide noodles
** Make sure to cut carefully, or you'll bring the rest of the dough with the knife - it's not as non-sticky as the knife leads you to believe!
> Once all your noodles are happy and cut, you should sprinkle them a few at a time into the boiling water - here's where a lot of the excess flour will rinse off, so don't be alarmed to see cloudy water at the end
> Boiling doesn't take a long time, depending on how much boiling water you have and how many noodles you put into it, usually like 5 or 7 minutes. If you overcook them, they get all mushy, eeewwww
> Once the noodles are done cooking, take them off the heat, strain and rinse them, and then throw something on top!

I like it, gives me something to get out of bed for in the morning, I enjoy making my own stuff - if anyone has a cool noodle recipe of their own, post it up or PM me, cause I'm on a noodle making tangent!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fantasy Freaks Forum Forum Index -> Yummy in my Tummy All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: