View unanswered posts
Currently reading. . .
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 36, 37, 38  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Caleyna
Queen of Silliness

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 3:41 pm
Post subject:

I'm almost done with the latest Marillier (Heir of Sevenwaters). Thanks Jana! I'm mostly loving it, though I think I'm getting too old for teen angst love. I also wish I had someone Irish to pronounce all these Irish names for me. Ummmm. . Louis? Can't you make me a video pronouncing every Irish name you know? Only it would be really hard to place them since the phonetics don't match English at all. I really need to know how to say Clodagh.

I finished Your Heart Belongs to Me, Dean Koontz's latest last week. It was ok, but nothing spectacular. Why do I always feel compelled to buy his books in HC?

I should be reading the BCB and I WILL read it. . . but it's just so boring *l*.
Jade
Seven of Jade

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 8:19 pm
Post subject:

I think the agh is pronounced sort of like the ach in Bach, only more in the back of the throat. But I am not an authority on these things at all *lol*

Jade
LunaRaven

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 10:23 pm
Post subject:

Caleyna wrote:
I'm almost done with the latest Marillier (Heir of Sevenwaters). Thanks Jana! I'm mostly loving it, though I think I'm getting too old for teen angst love. I also wish I had someone Irish to pronounce all these Irish names for me. Ummmm. . Louis? Can't you make me a video pronouncing every Irish name you know? Only it would be really hard to place them since the phonetics don't match English at all. I really need to know how to say Clodagh.

I finished Your Heart Belongs to Me, Dean Koontz's latest last week. It was ok, but nothing spectacular. Why do I always feel compelled to buy his books in HC?

I should be reading the BCB and I WILL read it. . . but it's just so boring *l*.

I believe in this case the 'gh' is relatively silent. My gut instinct is telling me that Clodagh is pronounced Cloda. I wish I could give you a more indepth explanantion on why I know this, but I can't. I know the Irish pronunciation my grandmother and my father have taught me, but I rarely know the precise reason behind the pronunciation. Anywho, I am almost one hundred percent positive that Clodagh is prounounced Cloda. If you need help with other names, throw them my way and I'll see if I can help(if I can't, I think my Sheanmhar will slap me from the grave)
Jade
Seven of Jade

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 10:50 am
Post subject:

maybe it's only the Scots who say agh in the back of the throat as if they're trying to spit *lol*

Jade
Dudde
The Monster at the end of this Post

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 8:28 pm
Post subject: woo hoo

Hey is that how you say it? I haven't gotten to that character yet.. but wow, the BCB book is really straining my skills here. I got about a hundred pages the other day when I took my car to the shop though! (it died and I need a new one :( )
Big Bubba
Slayer of Unreads

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 11:05 am
Post subject:

After having finished Worldwired by Elizabeth Bear, the final book in her Jenny Casey SF series (recommended), I'm going back to Love & Sleep by John Crowley. This time I'm going to destroy this book!!! The goal is to finish it by the end of the year. Yes, I know, that's pretty sad. I used to could read at least 3-4 books per month.
Alle
The First Evil

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 5:30 pm
Post subject:

I am about halfway through Heir to Sevenwaters and loving every word. Oh...C baby, there is a pronunciation guide in the beginning of the book...Clodagh is pronounced 'kloh-da' .
LunaRaven

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 10:08 pm
Post subject:

Alle wrote:

I am about halfway through Heir to Sevenwaters and loving every word. Oh...C baby, there is a pronunciation guide in the beginning of the book...Clodagh is pronounced 'kloh-da' .

Thank goodness I got it right. Now my Sheanmhar won't have an exscuse to slap me from beyond. Though, she still may try...
Kalam

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 2:40 am
Post subject:

I am on book two of the Coldfire Trilogy by C.S. Freidman and also the Farseer trilogy by Robin Hobb and I just finished Hero of the Ages by Brandon Sanderson the final book of the Mistborn Trilogy. I have to say it was amazing, he manages to top each book and the system of magic he thought up is so good... I could rave on for a page about how good Hero of the Ages was :)
LunaRaven

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 4:11 am
Post subject:

I'm reading, "DaggerSpell" by Katherine Kerr. This is my first time reading Kerr, and the incest caught me quite by surprise. For those of you who have read more of her work, can you tell me if incest is an ongoing plot device? Also, does she improve in her technique and how(I could just do the non-lazy thing and find out for myself, but I have every right to be lazy! It's finals for jimmeny crickets!)
Hachiko
Thread Killer

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 7:41 am
Post subject:

LunaRaven wrote:
I'm reading, "DaggerSpell" by Katherine Kerr. This is my first time reading Kerr, and the incest caught me quite by surprise. For those of you who have read more of her work, can you tell me if incest is an ongoing plot device? Also, does she improve in her technique and how(I could just do the non-lazy thing and find out for myself, but I have every right to be lazy! It's finals for jimmeny crickets!)

Her technique improves somewhat by late Darkspell, and like I've said, I'm yet to have the strength to go past Bristling Wood.
IIRC, the Daggerspell in print now is a heavily revised version. Personally, I think an author should leave a published work alone, later continuity be damned, but it's their entity to alter, so more power to them. Understandably, an author's first venture in a series is oft the shakiest, so it's only fair to give them a bye, however, this is tougher when that series has been hyped-up so much.
Other notable crappy starts are the first 2 Discworld books, and the first few chapters of A Game of Thrones.
Caleyna
Queen of Silliness

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 8:17 am
Post subject:

I had totally forgotten about the incest. I didn't like that at all and didn't really care for the book much. I read the second one to give it a chance and think it was that great either. Then I moved to Sweden and had very little English reading material.

By the time I was at the end of book 4 I couldn't put the series down. Her writing improves A LOT and there is only incest in the first book. I love Deverry, but I know that the first books have some technical problems. If you can slog through them you'll get to the good stuff. She really has kept excellent track of what's going on and what threads need to be cleared up. I don't know how she was able to plot so successfully over a period of so many years.

I'm reading The Tales of Bard the Beetle! The Tales aren't that fantastic, but the commentary by Albus Dumbledore is well worth the read.
Jade
Seven of Jade

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 12:08 pm
Post subject:

I actually just started a reread of the series myself *lol* Just finished Daggerspell, and onto Darkspell. Unfortunately, I only have another day or two before I leave here, and must leave the books (my brother's) behind. If I get hooked again, I'll try and get them from a library somewhere, I guess. Santa Barbara's library really ain't the greatest.

I read a good part of the series many years ago, but I'm not sure how many of them I got through relative to how many there are now!

Currently I'm finding that I really enjoy the main plotline, but I find some of the previous incarnation stories tiresome. Yeah, the original incest story is a little shocking, but it seemed so very Greek tragedy-esque that it didn't really affect me that much.

Jade
Caleyna
Queen of Silliness

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 9:32 pm
Post subject:

I just finished a quick thriller (Harlan Coban, Promise Me) and am ready to dive into a couple of books Juliet Marillier recommended on a forum. I think I'm going to start with The Janissary Tree by Jason Goodwin then go for The Alchemist's Daughter by Katharine McMahon. I don't think either one is a fantasy, but when your fave author throws out a recc it is well worth checking out (esp if you have a good library so you don't waste any cash).
Patrick
Sleepless Sonneteer

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 9:54 am
Post subject:

Finally picked up The Dragonbone Chair (first book of Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn) by Tad Williams, which I've been meaning to read for years but never got around to until now. Also started Peter F. Hamilton's Mindstar Rising.

On a mountain of skulls in a castle of pain, I sat on a throne of blood. What was will be, what is will be no more. Now is the season of evil!
Skarla

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 12:29 pm
Post subject:

Luna, as far as I'm aware the incest doesn't happen again, there's just a general trend of forbidden love - in another incarnation she is already married and he wants her anyway, even though it's wrong. It's not till he can give her up of his own free will that he breaks the chain of Wyrd. That said I've only got up to book 4, as that's all the shop had. ^^

Started reading the Eye of the World before Christmas. Sincerely hoping that at some point I will be able to make sense of the VERY CONFUSING prologue. Just who are these boys supposed to be anyway? Don't tell me! I just hope I don't have to wait till book 7 or something to find out.

Knowledge is power and power corrupts. Study hard: be evil!
LunaRaven

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 11:49 pm
Post subject:

I'm feeling rather lazy honestly. I got all these great books for Christmas and I've barely touched them! I decided yesterday that this had to change, so I started my Brooks book, Sometimes the Magic Works. It is very charming, and I've learned a bit about Mr.Brooks I didn't know before. Next i'll probably tackle Cornelia Funke's Inkdeath, if I can get over my usual "last book of a series" aversion.
Skarla

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 6:35 pm
Post subject:

Ancestors of Avalon by Marion Zimmer Bradley.

Loved all the other Avalon books so I suppose I started out with expectations. It's nice to finally read about life in Atlantis, although you only get to see about 48 hours of it before it sinks. I'm about halfway through and liking it, but not as much as I liked The Mists of Avalon or Priestess of Avalon. It seems different somehow... It's co-written with someone else which might explain slight disorientation, or maybe it's just that it's written so far in the 'past'.

Knowledge is power and power corrupts. Study hard: be evil!
Mulluane Lonewolf
The Old Bat

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 8:21 pm
Post subject:

I am revisiting an old friend, the Farseer Trilogy by Robin Hobb!

Dragons, Heroes and Wizards
Old Bat's Belfry
Big Bubba
Slayer of Unreads

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 9:29 pm
Post subject:

Mulluane Lonewolf wrote:
I am revisiting an old friend, the Farseer Trilogy by Robin Hobb!

Ah, good old Fitz, how I wanted to strangle you at times. Have you read The Tawny Man too, Mulluane?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fantasy Freaks Forum Forum Index -> Bookish All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 36, 37, 38  Next
Page 13 of 38

Jump to: