The time now is Thu Sep 21, 2017 3:37 am
View unanswered posts
November 2013 - Spoilers to Page 271 (end of book)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fantasy Freaks Forum Forum Index -> Book Club
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lannie
Colonel Chatterbox

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 10:29 pm
Post subject: November 2013 - Spoilers to Page 271 (end of book)

This thread is for discussion of the book The Woodcutter by Kate Danley, up to the end of page 271 in my trade paperback copy (end of book).
Alle
The First Evil

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 5:53 pm
Post subject:

I really liked the climatic moments. My favorite scene was when Woodcutter finds the room with all the pixies (a pixie mill? lol Poor things!) Then the scene in the Wood when the damn Queen and her Gentleman meet their comeuppance. Loved how the hellhound reverted to a puppy. Kind of wish he got to stay with Woodcutter too.

In all, a disjointed book that for me that didn't work as a whole, but a strong finish helped salvage it.
Lannie
Colonel Chatterbox

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 12:36 am
Post subject:

That's pretty much how I feel too. I loved parts of the book, but it felt more like a series of short stories badly stitched together to try to be a novel. The transition from the Iron Shoes winning the mattress contest to the troll bridge scene was so abrupt, for example. Actually transition is the wrong word - there is no transition at all.

I like the Woodcutter character. I'd like more of him, of his history. I even liked the writing in the individual scenes. It just needed to be smoother. Unless perhaps he has a teleporting skill - then it would all make sense.
Big Bubba
Slayer of Unreads

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 8:36 pm
Post subject:

I finally finished this book the other night. It was hard going from the beginning and somewhere around the middle of the book I lost track (and interest) of what was happening. I'm sure this was not helped by the fact that I took week-long breaks here and there.

This felt forced, disjointed, and plainly not very well written.

I think I will return to my Dresden Files re-read instead.

Caleyna
Queen of Silliness

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 8:42 pm
Post subject:

I liked the potential of what this book could be, and some of the scenes were wonderful. The atmosphere is just how I like my fairy tales. But, obviously, the pacing had a lot of problems. I didn't even care that the Woodcutter had died. It was obvious that he was going to be brought back somehow, but even if he wasn't there was no connection with any of the character. If she spent as much effort into making her characters real as she did the atmosphere, she would have had a big hit! As I mentioned in one of my other posts, I would have loved to read a whole series of the Woodcutter meeting these different characters and helping them solve their problems (assuming she went more in depth with the Woodcutter, obviously).

So. . . meh.

If you like fairy tales sort of like this, but much better, you should check out the Woodcutter Sisters series. Only two are out so far.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fantasy Freaks Forum Forum Index -> Book Club All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: