The time now is Tue Dec 11, 2018 4:02 pm
View unanswered posts
November 2013 - Spoilers to Page 158

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fantasy Freaks Forum Forum Index -> Book Club
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lannie
Colonel Chatterbox

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 10:27 pm
Post subject: November 2013 - Spoilers to Page 158

This thread is for discussion of the book The Woodcutter by Kate Danley, up to the end of page 158 in my trade paperback copy (end of chapter 47).
Lannie
Colonel Chatterbox

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 1:06 am
Post subject:

So far I like the story, but not how it is delivered. I can't get past the short stories loosely stitched together feeling. I actually imagined a director yelling "Cut! Scene!" at the end of each chapter. Each individual scene is interesting, but the editing to put it together lacks. There is no flow between scenes, no how he gets from here to there. It's like "ohhh, we need a scene with a beanstalk! Ohhh, we need a scene with a dryad! Ohh, throw Rumpelstiltskin in!"

But I am intrigued by the actual story. I hope we find his son on this journey (I thought it might actually be Jack until he bled blue).
Alle
The First Evil

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 4:03 pm
Post subject:

Yeah, we were certainly set up to think Jack was going to be the son. I kind of hope that the Woodcutter's wife is the one who finds the boy. She is completely alone and had wanted children. I think The Woodcutter was a bit of a dick to not mention his true form to his wife before she married him! lol
Caleyna
Queen of Silliness

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 10:39 am
Post subject:

Yes, the herky-jerky style is very off-putting. Instead of throwing every single fairy tale and myth into this one story, she should have concentrated on the plot and bullt her world. She could have had a real money maker of a series on her hands if she would have held back instead of blowing it all in this one book. The story is intriguing and she's a talented writer, but it just doesn't hang well.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fantasy Freaks Forum Forum Index -> Book Club All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: