The time now is Thu Nov 23, 2017 1:37 pm
View unanswered posts
aMoL - initial random thoughts - full of SPOILERS

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fantasy Freaks Forum Forum Index -> The Black Tower
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Loial

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 7:37 pm
Post subject: aMoL - initial random thoughts - full of SPOILERS

I'm surprised nobody's commented on the book till now.
I finished reading it on Sunday.

Some random thoughts :

S
P
O
I
L
E
R
S

I guess it was about time that some major characters would die, but I was a little sad about Egwene. Even though she managed to become more annoying the Nynaeve.

I was expecting a much more spectacular conclusion with Fain (perhaps Golum style). That was a let down.

I still don't see why Moiraine was so important for Rand's victory in the Last Battle. Any medium to high strengh Aes Sedai/Wise One/other type of channeler could have done as well. The only reason I can think of for her being required was Rand needing two female channelers he could trust, but Avi & Elayne could have filled that role easily.

Demandred was pathetic. As the most successful forsaken (the only one that managed to get an entire nation to fight for the Shadow), he didn't seem very smart during the battle. He should have realized Rand had more important places to be and things to do.

Graendal was the most efficient Forsaken on this book.

There were too many battle scenes.

Androl was my favorite character on this book.

There seemed to be too much joking around. I'd expect the characters to be a bit more serious when the world is about to end.

Gawyn's death was completely pointless, but he's always been good at making bad decisions.

As for Rand playing House at the end and switching bodies with Moridin - Wouldn't the people who thought Rand was dead prevent the suppposed Moridin from running around free?

Run Bela Run !

I'll probably think of many more things later...

Despite what my comments above might lead you to believe, I really enjoyed this book. Now I'm back to my re-read (near the end of tFoH). It will probably take me the rest of the year to finish :)
DragonQueen
Defying time with hair dye

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:31 am
Post subject:

Literally just finished here at 3am. I laughed. I cried. I've been reading this series every day since March. I'm afraid I'm going to be lost without my "friends" for a while.

I know I'm going to need some time to digest but I also have some quick thoughts.

SPOILERIFIC SPOILERAGE

Yes too many battle scenes. I know main characters were going to die but too many were off screen or ... anticlimatic after so long.

Amazing dialog between Rand and Mat in Ebou Dar.

What about the song of the Tinkers???

I really thought Lan died after fighting Demandred. I put the book down and cried. Death is lighter than a feather.

I figured a few things out like Mat being free of the horn since he died. When did he die twice if it wasn't the tree that freed him? But I gotta say I did not see the wolves being tied to the horn. Where was Hopper???

I think Moirane's big role was to broker Rand's peace more than to be one of the channelers at the end. I can't imagine how she and Nynaeve didn't figure out the body switch if they were all linked.

Gawyn and Demandred were both awful. Androl - awesome, but I was surprised he was such a major player as a character come so late to the game. I really liked the double bond idea. It was nicely explored.

What do you bet Birgitte will be one of Elayne's children?

"the sound of planets grinding together" or somesuch. Over the top? I couldn't decide.

Must sleep. More later.
DragonQueen

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 2:45 pm
Post subject:

Oh yeah one last big thing: Who killed Asmodean?????
Big Bubba
Slayer of Unreads

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 3:34 pm
Post subject:

Finished at the same time they turned off the fasten seat belts sign after we landed at BWI last night. Good timing there!

I'm still digesting the whole thing, but let's start with some responses.

 SPOILERS 

1. Graendal killed Asmodean. This is revealed in the epilogue and glossary of ToM.

2. First time Mat died was in Rhuidean, the second time when they fought Rahvin and both Mat and Aviendha were killed but later "resurrected" when Rand killed Rahvin with enough balefire to undo those deaths.

3. Thank the Lords of Kobol they killed off Gawyn. That boy was just too darn annoying. Egwene's death was surprising, while Birgitte's death and return was genius.

4. When did Galad get one of the foxhead medallions? I completely missed that and was very surprised when he went off to fight Demandred with OP immunity. I also obviously did not pay attention when Androl went to meet up with Taim, since I couldn't figure out how he got the seals. For a moment I thought I must have skipped some pages.

5. Androl + Pevara = good

6. Too many battle scenes? Maybe, but I kind of expected it to be that way, so it didn't bother me too much.

7. One of the best plot lines was the use of compulsion on the great captains. Nice touch!

8. Glad to see all major plot lines more or less resolved.

9. Min turning up Foruona's truthspeaker - very cool!

10.Finally... Knotai?!? What? The? %#$$%#$????

Loial

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 4:24 pm
Post subject:

Big Bubba wrote:
Finished at the same time they
4. When did Galad get one of the foxhead medallions? I completely missed that and was very surprised when he went off to fight Demandred with OP immunity. I also obviously did not pay attention when Androl went to meet up with Taim, since I couldn't figure out how he got the seals. For a moment I thought I must have skipped some pages.

Mat sent the foxhead medallion to Galad, being sure that he would "do the right thing".
Androl & Pevara and a couple of others went to find Taim wearing the faces of some of the Darkfriend/turned Ashaman. At first found Demandred who actually told them where Taim was.
DragonQueen

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 1:43 pm
Post subject:

Re: Asmodean. Ok I went back and looked. That's where Graendal was admonished for ending three forsaken? So it wasn't stated outright? I totally missed it! Thanks.
DragonQueen

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:10 am
Post subject:

Sanderson answers some questions and fills in some missing pieces:

http://www.tor.com/blogs/2013/01/brandon-sandersons-wheel-of-time-answers-from-torchat
Patrick
Sleepless Sonneteer

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:08 pm
Post subject:

Done. Will post more tomorrow....

On a mountain of skulls in a castle of pain, I sat on a throne of blood. What was will be, what is will be no more. Now is the season of evil!
Patrick
Sleepless Sonneteer

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:04 pm
Post subject:

So, at long last, my thoughts on AMoL. It’s kind of a strange feeling, realizing that there is no more Wheel of Time to look forward to, now. WoT has been a part of my life since I was a seventeen year old junior in high school, and I randomly picked up TEoTW at a grocery store because I thought the cover looked cool. WoT has been a part of my growing up, and for my entire adult life, up until now, I’ve had it to look forward to. It feels like new WoT volumes have bracketed the major events in my life: I read the first eight books during my last two years in high school, finishing TPoD sometime in 1999, I think. I reread those first books many times. When WH came out, my mother was in a coma, I was flunking out of community college and headed for a nervous breakdown (those of you who remember the days of the Sleepless Wonder in 2000 - 2001 might remember how crazy I was). I was so broke, I couldn’t afford to buy it, and had to wait until the library had a copy. When CoT came out, I was in one of the hardest times of my life: laid off from my job for over a year, unemployment running out, unable to find work or get back into school, health failing, and near bankruptcy. By the time KoD came out, though, my life had begun to turn around; I’d clawed my way back from the edge of the abyss, gotten a job, gotten back into school, and had a religious experience on the Atlantic coast that summer, which finally cleansed me of a lot of the pain and anger I had been carrying around. TGS and ToM came out during my first and second years of law school. This final volume came as I prepare to take the bar exam.

Anyway, on to the book itself. Overall, I liked it. I think it was a good and satisfying end to the series. The pacing felt a little rushed...I don’t blame BS for this, because I imagine it was an impossible task to squeeze *everything* into one final volume, even after splitting the “last” book into three big ones. There was simply too much to wrap up, in not enough pages. Anyway, on to my thoughts on specific things.

Things I liked:

Gay male characters! Oh man, I was so shocked to see that, and even more shocked that the revelation that a character was gay was treated with mild surprise, but not disgust, as if it’s a matter of course in Randland. Considering the way that RJ brought lesbians into the series (i.e. pillow friends, which was not treated very realistically) and the way that too many other fantasy authors have treated gay characters (generally as predatory perverts), this was refreshing and very long overdue.

The twist to the Horn of Valere plot. I mean, I should have realized that Mat’s ties to the Horn would have been broken, either from Rhuidean or Caemlyn, but I just never gave it much thought. Then Olver, poor little Olver, trapped and terrified, left behind by everyone he loves, blows it, and...Noal comes to save him. Noal! I cried when he died in ToM. I am man enough to admit that I cried like a baby when he reappeared as a Hero of the Horn, I had to put the book down for a minute I was so overcome. Sheesh, I’m getting choked up a bit just writing it. (Bro, I couldn’t wait for you to get to that part. I knew you’d love it, because I remember you cried too when Noal died.) I cried again when Birgitte reappeared, in her old place as a Hero, apparently none the worse for wear after her time of being torn out. That whole idea was brilliant.

The corruption of the four Great Captains. I totally did not expect that, but I got a bad feeling the first time Perrin saw Graendal messing with Davram Bashere’s dreams. Crazy brilliant twist.

Min as Truthspeeker.

Pretty much everything Lan did, but especially the duel with Demandred. I pretty much came into AMoL expecting both Lan and Nyn to die, so I was very glad they did not.

The body-switching at the end. I know a lot of fans seem to hate this, but I really liked it. It makes a lot of sense to me, and I cheered when I finally realized what was happening. Rand has done his duty to the world, and now he can live in peace. The world really couldn’t advance into the Fourth Age with Rand still the world’s preeminent ruler. I think this worked out well, though it could have been explained a bit better.

The scene with Rand questioning Roedran about being Demandred. I loved that! It was like a big shout out to the fans who persisted in the Demandred = Roedran theory, even when the clearly far superior Demandred is in Shara theory was put forth. It reminded me of the scene in Star Wars: Episode II when Jango Fett gets taken out by Mace Windu like a hot knife through butter, which, I trust, was George Lucas’ little middle finger to the hideously annoying Fett fanboys’ incessant chatter between Eps I and II about how awesome Jango Fett was going to be, how he was going to be the most badass character ever, etc. Speaking of Demandred....

Demandred and the Sharans. I’m just gonna say this now, folks. I was right. I was right! *adopts Shatneresque cadence* I. WAS. RIGHT. I said, “Demandred is building his army in Shara. It’s the only logical place it could be.” And I was right! Beyond this, it was just a cool stroke for the Shadow. When that giant gateway popped up and the Sharans rode out, I was like “oh $&#^!”

Talmanes surviving his fight with the Fade, the dragons in general, and especially his gateway broadsides. Ahahahahahaha! That was sweet, especially the scene with Moghedien. Speaking of which....

Moghedien being taken as damane. Ahahahahahaha! Ahahahahahaha! AHAHAHAHAHAHA!! Maybe she and Suffa can be roommates. AHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

The Ogier fighting. Oh man, that was awesome. Especially when Loial started singing the growing song as a weapon against the Trollocs. For a second I thought that maybe he’d rediscovered the Song and that the Fourth Age would be filled with Ogier, Tinkers, and Aiel singing the land into fruit again, but then I remembered that RJ said the Song would never be found and I was like, aw shoot. But still, it was awesome.

The Androl/Pevara dual bonding. Weird, but funny, and cool. I wish we’d have met Androl earlier in the series, he was cool. I really liked how the whole rescuing Logain plot was written...it was very suspenseful. I thought on several occasions that the Good Guys there were doomed.

Thom nonchalantly racking up a score of dead Black Ajah while trying to get back to his writing. No, it wasn’t the most plausible of scenarios, but I loved it.

Andor and Cairhien uniting under Elayne. Squee!! I love Cairhien, and I think that nation has gotten short-changed in WoT since TGH.

The denizens of Hinderstap becoming a respawning army of awesome. Loved it! Especially poor Grady’s confusion.

Mat. Everything about Mat. Mat rules.

Things I didn’t like:

The Last Battle got a little tedious to read, after the umpteenth iteration of “mass of Trollocs attack, forces of the Light nearly broken, Mat sends in [insert group here] and narrowly averts disaster.” I mean, I knew that’s what the Last Battle was going to be like, but it didn’t make it all that exciting to read.

The death of Egwene. Yes, I realize it served a purpose in the narrative. Yes, she died nobly, and took out one of the Shadow’s most powerful champions in the process, to say nothing of healing the Pattern from its balefire-induced damage. But, ever since, oh, TPoD or so, and most certainly since TGS, she’d been set up as the most badass Amyrlin ever, a leader that would bring the White Tower into the Fourth Age, healing the rift between Ajahs, repairing the damage caused by the Black Ajah, uniting all female channelers, at least in purpose if not wholly in form. And then BOOM, she’s dead, and Cadsuane is the new Amyrlin. Cadsuane. My mind doesn’t even want to embrace that notion, let alone seriously entertain it. Cadsuane??

Speaking of Egwene, I didn’t like how her character was written in AMoL. She reverted to whiny brat Egwene from earlier in the series, and it drove me nuts. “Rand is mad! I’m not going to agree to anything Rand says! If he said the sky was blue, I know it’d actually be green!”

Some of the off-screen deaths. Yes, I realize that there wasn’t enough space to give everyone an on-screen sendoff, but...these were major characters, integral to the main plots, in one case (Siuan) having been a major character dating all the way back to TGH. Didn’t they at least deserve a single paragraph describing their demises? And Shaidar Haran, my favorite bad guy, only appears as a crumpled corpse and isn’t even mentioned by name? Hmph!

The Slayer Chase. Alright, I’m glad the guy’s finally toast, but seriously, how long had Perrin been chasing him? For ten books. Ten books. It just got old, like the Faile/Shaido subplot got old, after running for three whole books. I don’t know what it is about Perrin’s plots, but ye gods. And the chase itself...well I’m going to give y’all a nerdy Star Trek analogy. In Deep Space Nine, Odo was a shape-shifter. He could conceivably, turn into just about anything. But TV show special effects budgets not being limitless, on the show he generally changed into liquid, solid inanimate objects, or animals, the cool special effects being used sparingly to show his transition between forms, or on special occasions. The DS9 novels, on the other hand, didn’t have that limitation, so in them Odo does all sorts of crazy stuff he never could do on the show. In one, I remember he changed into a flowing liquid motorcycle thing with wheels for hands. Eventually, it just got silly, as the novel writers seemed to be trying to outdo one another in the ridiculous things they had Odo do. The Slayer Chase felt like that...like BS was making Perrin and Slayer go increasingly nuts in showing off the crazy unreal stuff you can do in TAR. At first it was cool, but after a while, it bored me.

Demandred’s fancy new pimp-stick. It felt kind of like a deus ex machina. Rand broke the Choedan Kal, the two most powerful sa’angreal ever made, and held Callandor, the second most powerful sa’angreal ever made. But wait, here’s a new sa’angreal that might even be more powerful than Callandor! That just didn’t work for me.

Moiraine’s return was a major letdown. Sure, she was instrumental in forging the Dragon’s Peace, but after that...what, exactly, did she do at Shayol Ghul? Rand could have literally picked any other female channeler, and her contribution would have been the same. Nynaeve kept Alanna alive long enough so she could release Rand’s bond before she died. What did Moiraine do??

Graendal as a slavishly devoted ninny. Argh. Just kill her off already!

Things I hated:

The death of Bela. Oh come ON, Brandon! Are you just trying to out-Martin GRRM and make it more “gritty?” If I recall correctly, RJ said to leave her alive! Argh! That was just completely unnecessary!

On those same lines, the scene where Hanlon is about to cut Elayne’s babies out of her womb. That just nailed me (I’ve worked on a lot of OB/GYN medical malpractice cases, so...yeah). That was too much, Brandon, too much.

The fact that my WoT namesake, Paedrig the Golden-Tongued Peacemaker, did not make an on-screen appearance, even though the Horn was blown and the Heroes came. Hmph!

The names. Creator shelter me, the bloody names. Deepe? Sleete? Turne? Did he just randomly flip through the dictionary, pick a word, and add an e to the end? Knotai?? Come on. I like Brandon’s writing, and I like what other of his work I’ve read (Mistborn), but I have to say it: the man does not have a grasp for WoT names. Maybe I shouldn’t hold this against him, but RJ gave a sense to the names of his characters that no other fantasy author ever had.

Other thoughts:

There are some unanswered questions, and one major quibble.

Who the heck is Nakomi and why can’t Brandon answer any questions about her? “Here’s this mysterious new character who appears to be important, but I’m not going to say anything else, and I’m not allowed to answer questions!” What the heck? That’s just not cool. “Not allowed?” What the heck is up with that? Was it some secret little in-joke RJ had in his notes that he didn’t want anyone else to get?

What happened to Dobraine? Or Juilin? Dobraine apparently just got dropped as a character. He was one of my favorites! Grr. I liked Juilin, too.

All through the series, there are little hints and allusions, here and there, that the end of the Third Age would also see an end to the ability of humans to channel the One Power. The Fourth Age is definitely going to be different than the Third, in regards to technology; printing presses already existed, and now steam power and gunpowder are established in the series. If, as we believe, the Ages in the series are a future/past Earth, our own time being in its own Age, at some point humanity will have to lose the ability to channel. The recreating of the seal over the Bore seemed like a perfect opportunity: saidar, saidin, and the True Power all rolled into one to seal the Dark One away for good. it would have been a perfect moment for the ability to channel to die out as well. But...nope.

That’s it for now. I may post more later, as I digest the novel more. May the last embrace of the Mother welcome y’all home.

--Patrick

On a mountain of skulls in a castle of pain, I sat on a throne of blood. What was will be, what is will be no more. Now is the season of evil!
Rhodric
Lord of the Morning

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 2:36 pm
Post subject:

Nice Post Pat. I think I'll wait to respond to specific points until I post myself. I cried for at least a hundred pages during the book and after so I'll probably cry for 2400 words of the post, too. Best to do that on a day off from work with some irish cream at my elbow.
Jade
Seven of Jade

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:23 am
Post subject:

ok...

Am I the only one who found the Androl/Pevara thing annoying? Random new character, appears out of nowhere, I kind of just couldn't get the energy to care about him. But mostly I found the dialogue between him and Pevara kind of over the top and unbelievable. Sanderson was going for this whole funny bantering thing - between a lot of characters, actually - and it was very unlike RJ's style. And very unlike Pevara. I found it jarring. Kind of the same way I've found Sanderson's portrayal of Mat to be jarring; it's just not him.

That said, Mat was a lot better in this book, at least in the second half.

I guess it was a hell of a lot of battle scenes, but honestly, what were we expecting? And it was quite the body count... I found Egwene's death sad, and Gawyn's death totally stupid. Lan killing Demandred was sort of cool - at least the part where Rand pointed out that he wasn't dead - but I found it super annoying that we kept having ridiculous sword battles with a forsaken. Medallion or no medallion, WTF?

Okay, the body swap. I'm confused. I mean, it's a cool idea - but how did it happen? How did Alivia do it? Is it just me, or was she not even mentioned anywhere in the book at all until -after- the bodyswap? Or did I just miss something?

Moiraine's role was a little anticlimactic... But I agree, I guess it was about brokering a peace.

So, I did not miss Galad getting the medallion - but I did totally miss how Androl got the seals. So he shows up at Demandred's in disguise, is told Taim's location .... and then next thing we know, he has the seals? I must have read too fast over something.

I always liked Logain, I was a bit disappointed they made him out as this power-hungry guy who almost ruined it all. But I suppose as a reaction to horrible torture, maybe it's believable enough.

Pat: I agree, the death of Bela, in fact the entire role of Bela, was a bit much. I was fine with her being a pony who could run further and longer than other horses - but faster in a sprint? Give me a freaking break.

And yes, a little too much freaking Perrin. Although he was a lot better in this book than during the Faile pursuit. But Slayer was just never that great of a bad guy, and I would have rather focused more on something else.

I totally missed the whole thing about Mat's dying unlinking him with the horn. Doh! Never occurred to me, and I'm usually good at spotting those things *lol* The scene with poor Olver trapped in the hole was really awesome though, as well as Jain coming to the rescue.

I LOVED Mat telling Hawkwing to go say hi to Tuon. And I would have loved to see that scene *lol* Maybe he should have thrown in a "You know, even if I didn't like channelers, you've kind of taken it too far, don't you think?"

Anyway, I have to get to work - last day! OMFG, last day! :-O
To be honest, I feel a little disappointed by a lot of things. A lot of things felt rushed, and a lot of characters felt a bit off or forced. But toward the end, it felt more like WoT again. ANd I suspect some of the very end stuff was written by RJ - he always said he knew how the last battle was going to go down, and even before he knew he was dying, it wouldn't surprise me if he wrote some of that ahead of time. I know I often write the end before the middle is finished.

Perhaps I'll have more thoughts later, I think that's all for now...

Jade

Lannie
Colonel Chatterbox

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:16 am
Post subject:

I finished aMoL Sunday morning, but just couldn't process it enough to write about it. I did a massive reread, beginning Eye of the World just after Christmas and finishing up with New Spring about last Wednesday. I went to the bookstore about 10 minutes before they closed for the night because I couldn't possibly wait until the next day and I bought aMoL with sadness that it was almost over.
For the most part, I really enjoyed the book. Most of what I wanted was there, although I spent big chunks of the book wondering where the heck certain characters were (in particular, Olver and Morgase. Starting wondering if I missed where they died.
I plan to reread it soon, especially the end, but I wanted to give it a little bit.
So my points:
Didn't see Egwene's death coming at all. I figured a main character would probably die, but I think I assumed it would be Nynaeve and Lan. She was going to be the Amyrlin for the ages!

I agree that Gawyn's death was totally pointless, but totally in character. As soon as he started wearing the ring, I knew it was over. I started wondering if Egwene would bond Galad after Gawyn was dead (since I assumed Egwene would LIVE) or if Galad would become Elayne's First Prince of the Sword.

Seriously, you killed off Bela? Also, how could she ride like the wind? When she did it in EoTW, it's because Rand was channelling to protect Egwene.

I'm convinced the Song is whatever Rand was singing under his breath when the trees grew, but he didn't pass it on.

The lack of detail in the body switching and how Avilia helped him die bothers me. I want more dammit.

I also want a five years from now Epilogue! Where do my favourites go from here??

I really liked Androl.

Fain totally got skimmed over. It seemed like a case of "ohcrap, i forgot to include something about him".

Perrin should have figured out Graendal's dream tampering way faster. Also shouldn't Bryne have been protected by the Warder bond or would Siuan needed to weave a specific ward for that? Speaking of - Siuan's death happening so quickly was okay, but Bryne's death needed an on-screen scene where he used his berserker-ness in an efficient manner.

Totally didn't realize Mat would be free of the horn until it blew.

What was with the mystery character Nakomi???

But I still loved it. I can't believe there is no more.
connor
the thief catcher

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 4:00 pm
Post subject:

AMOL = amazing. I feel exactly the same way as I did after reading the last lotr book as a young kid. A melancholic sadness due to the end of an era in my life. The death scenes were masterfully written. I'm just frustrated that RJ isnt here to write more novels within the WOT world. However, saying that, the shara short story will be good, and I'm hoping for a lot of 4th age trivia in the wot encyclopaedia.
julie
Wicked Wisdom

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 9:34 am
Post subject:

Finished it last night. I liked it. Of course, we knew it would be called 'an ending', not 'the ending'. But since RJ has woken from the Dream, it pretty much is 'the ending'. Other than rereads if anyone wants to slog through the middle again. It still makes me sad that he wasn't able to finish it himself. It was good that we were able to get some closure on the story we've been following for so long, but it definitely lost some flavor and gained some chewy/gristly bits when someone else took over the cooking.

I don't get so tweaked about the Sanderson appellations as the rest of you do, but I did keep wanting to call Androl _Andra_ instead. *l* I liked the Androl/Pevara storyline to show what was happening in the Black Tower and get Logain out of his sticky situation. But I was just as mystified as some of the rest of you when Androl gave the seals to Logain. I was like...wait...did I skip some pages? Did I fog out and miss something here??? That was too big of a leap for me from 'here's where Taim is' to 'yep, we got the seals.'

I didn't get too emotionally worked up at the various deaths because I just didn't feel as emotionally connected to this book or the characters as I probably should have been. I was glad that Lan wasn't really dead, though. And I was glad that Faile wasn't really dead.

Loved Mat's parts. I figured Olver would blow the horn eventually and was glad when he did. I liked that he never stopped being the Gambler and never lost his twinkle. Mat Cauthon is the most loveable rascal in all of literature, as far as I'm concerned. Too bad we can't find out more about his and Tuon's future together. I'm sure it would have been very entertaining. And I REALLY wanted to read about her meeting with Artur Hawkwing!

I also loved Perrin's parts. I just do not understand the Perrin hate. He's solid. He's the balance to Mat. He's the guy you can count on no matter what. He is a protector. I thought it was great when he worked out for himself how to get in and out of the wolf dream when awake and was able to finally put the hammer down on that smarmy creep Slayer/Luc.

I was not all that thrilled with Rand's trailing thread. I get the need to get him out of the limelight and leave him to stand as an historical legend of glory. The body switch made sense as a way to do it. And Moridin's face would be unknown enough to most people (although it does seem that Nyn would be freaked to find out the Nae'blis was on the loose again). But I don't think Rand should just get to wander off and see the world on his own while two of his women raise his children and the other one is theoretically stuck with Tuon and Mat and the Seanchan. I wanted to snatch him up and smack him in head as he blithely wondered which one might follow him.

I literally yelled 'wtf?!' out loud when Tom Merrilin chucked a knife at 'Caduane's' back on Shayol Ghul. Was very relieved to find out a few lines later that it wasn't really her. That was well set up with him hanging out pondering the right word to describe the day in such a detached way while everyone else was struggling for their lives.

Every tiny hair on my body stood up and tingled when Logain broke the seals and was named Sealbreaker.

I liked that Egwene was able to go out in a blinding blaze of glory. It was good that there was a yin to the yang of balefire. Instead of erasing the past, it crystallizes it forever. Nice. And the head of the White Tower took out the head of the Black Tower. The whole book was not a dice game or a card game, but a giant chess game - pieces sacrificed right and left for the final check mate to occur.

I liked that Birgitte was able to get back into her place in the pattern.

I loved that people got smart and really started making clever use of all the little things they'd learned over the past couple of years. I was cheering when Aludra and Talmaines started using gateways to fire the dragons through - brilliant! and Gateways to spy on the battlefield from above - perfect! And Mat using the recycleable army from that crazy town...*lmao*

I loved Mat crash landing his Raken. I loved Avi accidently turning Greandal's compulsion back on her. I loved Demandred getting increasingly astonished by his succession of challengers and then another surprising (to Demandred) sacrifice for the greater goal. And we had Rand to spell it all out for us.

The dark will never win because it doesn't understand self-sacrifice. It doesn't get that 'the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few - or the one.'

Great comeback - When Elayne started waving a sword around at Trollocs to rally her troops and was scolded by Birgitte but justified it by saying 'How would you feel if you saw your Queen trying to kill a trolloc with a sword as you ran away?" Birgitte: "I"d feel like I needed to bloody move to another country. One where the monarchs don't have pudding for brains."

Great nod to fan patience - Perrin considering his exhaustion lurking when in the wolf dream. "It reminded him a little of when Moiraine had dispelled their fatigue while fleeing the Two Rivers all that time ago. Two years now.
A very long two years." LOL

Where is Carl's post???? Where is Alle's post????
Patrick
Sleepless Sonneteer

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 11:52 pm
Post subject:

Yeah, you people, post already!!!!

Julie: I think, maybe, that RJ wrote that last scene with Rand long before he had Rand fathering babies, and later he didn't want to change it, despite the bad parenting implications. So it comes out something like Rand the deadbeat.

Lannie: I'm kind of wondering if the relative lack of detail on the body-switch was another snarky little RJ moment, a la "all the clues are there for you to figure out who killed Asmodean! Bwahahahaha!!" I'm about 90% sure that whole idea was set by RJ several books ago, what with the hints about Moridin merging with Rand, and Alivia "helping Rand die." Same goes with the silly Nakomi nonsense.

Alle
The First Evil

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:32 am
Post subject:

julie wrote:

Where is Carl's post???? Where is Alle's post????

Well, you see Juliieee, back in December I started a reread of the last several books, starting with KoD. During the end of KoD and all the way through aMoL, I had been trading comments with Carl as I read...I must admit, most of it was really snarky once the BS books started...so when I finally finished, I was pretty drained of posting. The facebook comments run over 1,000 posts. Much of this is expletives concerning Gawyn in the last book, lol. Anyway, I had promised to share as I think many of our thoughts were pretty funny, but sifting through over 1,000 posts for the good stuff was just too much work. Speaking of work, my real job has been super stressful since January, so I really haven't been up to much of anything after work other then chilling out.

At any rate, not sure if or when I will post on aMoL. While I did enjoy it, or parts of it anyway, it mostly just made me sad to not be able to read what RJ would have done. I admire BS for stepping in as he did, but it feels like a False Book, lol. Oh and waaaaaay too much Perrin. Snooze.

Just a quick comment on the very end, I too felt weird about Rand just being able to walk away not only from the loves of his life and future children, but also from Tam, Mat and Perrin. In my mind, he chills for 6 months before returning and re-entering their lives. I do not feel that Min is still tied to that fricking total bitch Tuon, may she die a horrid death soon, in fact I feel that she was the one to join him, not having immediate tasks like Avi and Elayne.
Megaret

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 8:57 pm
Post subject:

I am nearly finished now but have to make one comment: I know most of you have done a more recent re-read, and I am fairly certain I stopped re-reading pre-2000s, but I don't remember anything about the Sharans at all! When they popped up on the battlefield I was like huh? I am just having memory lapse or were they only mentioned in a blink-and-you-miss-it sort of way? It seemed so strange for a huge army of channelers to show up when I thought I knew all the players.
Big Bubba
Slayer of Unreads

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 9:16 pm
Post subject:

There really hasn't been any mention of the Sharans before they appear in aMoL, but there has been quite a bit of speculation that this was the place Demandred was set up, so it was not major surprise for me.

How are you liking it?

Megaret

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 6:36 pm
Post subject:

Its funny, my very first internet forum post ever was on pages of prophecy, complaining that there wasn't enough action and how I wanted to see Rand get a move on and confront the DO.... and now, finally, this book is non-stop and I find myself skimming a lot!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fantasy Freaks Forum Forum Index -> The Black Tower All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: