The time now is Fri Nov 15, 2019 10:34 am
View unanswered posts
April 2013 Book Club - Nominations Here!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fantasy Freaks Forum Forum Index -> Book Club
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lannie
Colonel Chatterbox

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 1:26 pm
Post subject: April 2013 Book Club - Nominations Here!

Let's get some nominations going for the April 2013 Book of the Month! What's hanging out in your TBR pile that you should move to the top?

This thread will be open for nominations up to Sunday, March 17th. You can nominate books by replying to this message, or by PM to the Book Club Coordinator (Lannie) who will add them here for you.

The book should ideally be available in mass market paperback in both the US and the UK, or at the minimum any book version and an ebook version in both the US and the UK. Please include title, author, price and a bit of a blurb in your post or PM (you can look at previous nomination threads if you don't know what I mean). If you don't have time to look up the information or aren't sure what to include, you can just PM me the title/author and I'll find out for you.

Voting will then be open for one week (until March 24) and then people will have one week to find the book before April 1.
Caleyna
Queen of Silliness

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:50 am
Post subject:

The Hundred Thousands Kingdoms by N. K. Jemison
$5.60 pb Amazon
$6.64 Kindle
L6.89 pb amazon.uk
L5.99 Kindle UK

Yeine Darr is an outcast from the barbarian north. But when her mother dies under mysterious circumstances, she is summoned to the majestic city of Sky. There, to her shock, Yeine is named an heiress to the king. But the throne of the Hundred Thousand Kingdoms is not easily won, and Yeine is thrust into a vicious power struggle.
Alle
The First Evil

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 5:34 pm
Post subject:

Here is one I had been looking at for a while:

Theft of Swords: Book 1 of The Riyria Revelations

Amazon US: 10.19 (paperback)
Kindle US: 7.99
Amazon UK: 6.29 (paperback)
Kindle UK: 2.99

They killed the king. They pinned it on two men. They chose poorly.
There's no ancient evil to defeat or orphan destined for greatness, just unlikely heroes and classic adventure. Royce Melborn, a skilled thief, and his mercenary partner, Hadrian Blackwater, are running for their lives when they're framed for the death of the king. Trapped in a conspiracy that goes beyond the overthrow of a tiny kingdom, their only hope is unraveling an ancient mystery before it's too late.

When author Michael J. Sullivan self-published the first books of his Riyria Revelations, they rapidly became ebook bestsellers. Now, Orbit is pleased to present the complete series for the first time in bookstores everywhere.

I generally avoid self published authors, but Michael Sullivan is very well regarded and has built up a following with his ebooks, leading to conventional publishing. While the plot doesn't sound wildly different or awesome, it does sound fun!
Caleyna
Queen of Silliness

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:40 am
Post subject:

One of my LJ friends just posted a review of the Micheal Sullivan book and really enjoyed it. I also avoid self-published authors, but this one may be a hit!
Alle
The First Evil

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 1:20 pm
Post subject:

I hope so C-baby! I have already downloaded it to my kindle, so I am committed.
Excalibur

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:45 pm
Post subject:

i read the ryria chronicles. i noticed all the good reviews on amazon about it. after i got going on the first one, i literally devoured the rest of them. they are quick and easy reads. it starts off like the book says just a lil conspiracy between a kingdom that cascades the two main characters into saving the world pretty much kinda thing later. its layers upon layers of mystery and u never really know who the main bad guy is till later on in the books. i really liked it alot, theres alot of history of the place thats mentioned in the beginning but it really is important later on. theres alot of suspense and plot twists. the author is gonna write another book but its a prequel of the ryria trilogy. i would really like him to write another trilogy after the one thats set from what happened. its not a cliffhanger or anything like that at the end. Everything is wrapped up good within the story, but outside of that there is alot of room and uncovered territory in the world to expand on. i like how he presents the elves and the dwarves in this. the elves are very mysterious and overall more graceful than humans, and the dwarves are like bad ass architects that can build things no one else can. like i said the writing is not complex, but he weaves all the necessary elements for a good read. dont get me wrong he does weave a very complex plot that all ties up neatly at the end. it has old school themes but it is kind of lighter and funnier than most. the thief and swordsman are always cracking alot of quick witted jokes and comebacks at each other. very fun read.
Lannie
Colonel Chatterbox

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:12 am
Post subject:

Title: Black Swan Rising (book 1 in trilogy)
Author: Lee Carroll

Price: $6.00 paperback or $10.85 Kindle (Amazon.com) / £4.99
Pages: 400

Product Description:
When New York City jewelry designer Garet James stumbles into a strange antiques shop in her neighborhood, her life is about to be turned upside down. John Dee, the enigmatic shopkeeper, commissions her to open a vintage silver box for a generous sum of money. Oddly, the symbol of a swan on the box exactly matches the ring given to her by her deceased mother. Garet can’t believe her luck and this eerie coincidence until she opens the box and otherworldly things start happening. . . .

That evening, the precious silver box is stolen. When Garet begins to investigate, she learns that she has been pulled into a prophecy that is hundreds of years old, and opening the box has unleashed an evil force onto the streets of Manhattan and the world at large. Gradually, Garet pieces together her true identity—one that her deceased mother desperately tried to protect her from. Generations of women in Garet’s family, including her beloved mother, suffered and died at the hands of this prevailing evil. Does Garet possess the power to reclaim the box and defeat this devastating force?

On her journey, she will meet the fey folk who walk unnoticed among humans and a sexy vampire who also happens to be a hedge fund manager that she can’t stop thinking about. But the fairies reveal a desire to overpower mere humans and the seductive vampire has the power to steal the life from her body. Whom can Garet trust to guide her? Using her newfound powers and sharp wit, Garet will muster everything she’s got to shut down the evil taking over her friends, family, New York City, and the world.
Lannie
Colonel Chatterbox

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:21 pm
Post subject:

Title: Between
Author: Kerry Schafer

Price: $7.99 paperback or $10.85 Kindle (Amazon.com) / £4.74
Pages: 304

Product Description:
Vivian Maylor can’t sleep. Maybe it’s because she just broke up with her boyfriend and moved to a new town, or it could be the stress of her new job at the hospital. But perhaps it’s because her dreams have started to bleed through into her waking hours.

All of her life Vivian has rejected her mother’s insane ramblings about Dreamworlds for concrete science and fact, until an emergency room patient ranting about dragons spontaneously combusts before her eyes—forcing Viv to consider the idea that her visions of mythical beasts might be real.

And when a chance encounter leads her to a man she knows only from her dreams, Vivian finds herself falling into a world that seems strange and familiar all at once—a world where the line between dream and reality is hard to determine, and hard to control…
Lannie
Colonel Chatterbox

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 12:46 pm
Post subject:

Any last noms? I'll close this thread and open the voting thread just before bed Wet Coast time... around 11pm PST. (it's 10:45am right now....).
Excalibur

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 9:30 pm
Post subject:

aight, lets do this...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fantasy Freaks Forum Forum Index -> Book Club All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: