The time now is Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:55 am
View unanswered posts
Excellent finished trilogy alert

View previous topic :: View next topic  
julie
Wicked Wisdom

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 5:17 pm
Post subject: Excellent finished trilogy alert

Hello all my dearest darling freaky friends! I have fabulous news!

I know you are all busy wallowing in the final chapters of WoT these days (or will be soon if you aren't already), but I bring you great tidings of an oustanding digestif to follow up your entree. Seriously - I think this trilogy must be like a good brandy. I'm still savoring it. (I say I think it must be, because I've never actually had brandy, but there is always the scene with the hoity toity folks retiring after a fine meal to enjoy a good brandy in films and books, you know?)

Anyway, I'm cross posting comments from FB here so I can reach more people. I really believe most of you will enjoy these books!

I just finished reading the third/final book of the Matched trilogy by Ally Condie. It took me a couple of months to get the last book after it came out in November because the holidays were busy and I had a lot of other stuff to read, but I am so glad I finally picked it up!! Go find Matched on your e-reader or at your library or in a store or on line somewhere. Get it and read it. You will like it.

Briefly, it is a three part not too far future Earth Society Dystopia. It bears some superficial similarities to The Hunger Games, but is a MUCH better trilogy. And I liked the Hunger Games. There are no lottery things or freaky kid survival contests. There is a main character who is an older teen girl who has two male love interests and there is a strange dichotomy of dystopian eutopia and, of course, rebellion.

But this book trilogy truly has something for everyone - action, thrills, mystery, science, faith, love, poetry (not like Lord of the Rings - I promise), art, music, and very fluid prose that you either float along with or barrel through the rapids with as the story progresses. It took me only two afternoons to read the final 512 page book and I was busy doing other things, too.

I am serious - if you like to read, you need to read it.
Alle
The First Evil

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:49 pm
Post subject:

I got book 1 on kindle, so once I am finished with WoT (and boy am I mired in tGS...(not a great book and it should have been) and then need to get through ToM before the Final Installment.
Caleyna
Queen of Silliness

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:37 pm
Post subject:

I'm going to give it a try when I'm done with my current read--which could be awhile. Hopefully I remember!
julie
Wicked Wisdom

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:46 pm
Post subject:

I am about 100 pages into Brent Weeks' The Black Prism - first book of the Lightbringer series. If I like it, I'm going to go back and read the Night Angel books before I go on with Lightbringer.
Caleyna
Queen of Silliness

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 5:35 pm
Post subject:

Just downloaded Matched. . . . gotta finish my MOMS Club newsletter before I can start reading!
Excalibur

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 6:11 pm
Post subject:

sounds interesting. a utopian society where everything seems perfect, but there is a fracture somewhere in the grand design that will ultimately break the kingdom. the trend is dystopian but this writers putting a twist on it. sounds interesing, makes me wanna find out whats really wrong with this place.
Rhodric
Lord of the Morning

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 2:41 pm
Post subject:

Seems blasphemous to actually read or start reading a finished series. I never read the Hunger Games myself. Bookstore wanted to charge exorbitant prices for these pocket sized pseudo-hardbacks...and then the movies came out and fawning began. This series sounds interesting though. Will be nice to read an author who does use a word bank of tempest, bah, and blast.
Alle
The First Evil

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:02 am
Post subject:

You're an insufferable man. I bet you wear tan coats.
Caleyna
Queen of Silliness

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 4:56 pm
Post subject:

I'm almost done with book 2. If I wasn't typing on a tablet I would post some disscusion. I miss my rpeal computer!
Alle
The First Evil

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 5:27 pm
Post subject:

C baby, I am reading Alchemist of Souls at the moment, and have Matched on the kindle. Hope I like it as much as you and Julieeeeeeee.
julie
Wicked Wisdom

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 9:28 am
Post subject:

I just finished Alchemist of Souls this morning before I rolled out of bed to start my day. I liked it OK. It definitely felt like a first book. I would probably like it better if I knew more about British history and could catch all the little nods. I also might have liked it better had I not read it right on the heels of Prince of Thorns, which was outstanding. I need to go find the second book in that series! But I should probably read some of the other six books I have in my tbr pile and I really should probably get A Memory of Light before I buy any other new books. *sigh* It had better not piss me off.
Caleyna
Queen of Silliness

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 8:25 pm
Post subject:

I finished the Matched trilogy today. Pretty good stuff. I also started a series by Sam Sykes. I am still reading the free sample and am not yet convinced I should buy it. Sort of considering reading the whole WoT series. I did love it at one time, obviously. I can't remember the last one I read' but I know I was still living in Astoria so it's been at least 12 years.
Alle
The First Evil

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:35 am
Post subject:

I finished the Matched yesterday. It reminded me quite a bit of Scott Westerfeld's Uglies series actually, so I wasn't all that impressed with it. I was going to read the second one, but thy want $10.99 for the kindle edition which is ridiculous.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fantasy Freaks Forum Forum Index -> Bookish All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: