The time now is Fri May 26, 2017 6:11 am
View unanswered posts
2012 presidential election

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fantasy Freaks Forum Forum Index -> Hot Hot Hot
View previous topic :: View next topic  
connor
the thief catcher

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 7:36 pm
Post subject: 2012 presidential election

Well, I've been studying American politics for the past year, and would like to get a grasp on where the mighty fantasy fan vote will swing to. Obama has already came out the closet to support gay marraige ( and rightly so IMO), perhaps he'll also enlighten us that he loves WOT more than rhodric.

So Romney or Obama? And why?
Patrick
Sleepless Sonneteer

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 10:43 pm
Post subject:

Obama. For oh so many reasons I couldn't even begin to enumerate.

On a mountain of skulls in a castle of pain, I sat on a throne of blood. What was will be, what is will be no more. Now is the season of evil!
Alle
The First Evil

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 2:11 am
Post subject:

While I am not a big Obama fan...he comes to my town every Christmas and really screws up traffic, lol...but I really don't think I will find myself voting Republican any time soon.
julie
Wicked Wisdom

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 9:22 am
Post subject:

Obama. I get really frustrated with the pundits who keep saying the economy has not improved. I run financial reports for the company I work for and they went from laying off bunches of people in the spring of 2009 (in the wake of the fall of 2008 crash) - just like the company that I was laid off from - and wage freezes or severe reduction in increases to acquiring three new companies over the last two years, tons of hiring this spring and consistant growth in all areas.

My company is extremely dependent on the construction industry, which is clearly doing significantly better this year than it was three years ago. It also is extremely dependent on the 'do it yourself' home consumers and they are clearly not hording their cash this spring.

Yes, I recognize that unemployment is still a huge problem - my recent college graduate has not found a job and opted to go to a one year grad program to get more credentials and another year to job hunt. But it is getting better, despite what the Rush Limbaughs of the world would like us to believe. And yes, I struggle just like everyone else with the problem of having to pay more for gasoline (which makes everything else cost more, too). But I also believe that we really do have to be forced to find a sustainable energy source that isn't so blantantly contributing to the degradation of our ecosystems.

Social issues - which are just as important to me as fiscal ones - have gotten a huge spotlight in the past few years. And that is a Good Thing. We do need to talk about them and stop pretending like they aren't a problem. We do need to address them. "We've come a long way baby" as far as women's and minority rights (racial, ethinic, religious, and sexual preference), but there is still a ways to go.

Conservatives, by definition, want to conserve. They want to keep things they way they think they are/were. They keep talking about a 'return' to some sort of mythical values that were in some misty magical undangerous past when the world was safe from change. They fear change because it might disrupt their own little comfort zone. Well too freaking bad. It's not all about them. The rest of us would like to have some comfort, too. And I'm not talking about hand outs. I'm talking about equal rights and opportunites. I'm talking about empathy and compassion. Mitt Romney doesn't appear to have those things.

I've read his book, "No Apology." I've also read Obama's book, "The Audacity of Hope." I highly recommend both books. They are readable and informative. Both men are clearly intelligent and motivated to do what they think is right for this country. And I don't doubt that both are driven by ambition for power - all people who seek higher office are on some level. The ones who aren't don't get very far because of the compromises one has to make to achieve victory. We're never going to have a saviour or a saint for President.

But of the two options we're going to have this fall to steer things for the next four years, I'd rather have the hopeful compassionate tortoise than the single-minded hare.
connor
the thief catcher

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 6:09 pm
Post subject:

So julie, in a generalised way, doesn't Romney's republican fiscal policy appeal to you? Though I do agree that Obama has led America to renewed economic growth; especially compared with Britain which has hit a double dip recession.

Do you believe that Mitt's personal fortune will influence voters as well btw?

One last question guys, I'm focusing on whether presidential power has became 'imperial' or overtly strengthened. Is that what you guys have witnessed? Or is it political commentators being hyperbolic?
Caleyna
Queen of Silliness

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 12:26 pm
Post subject:

I think whoever is in opposition to the president will always say that s/he has too much power. However, with our constitution and the three branches of government, our president will never become imperil. Plus, the president is limited to two terms. Currently Obama's ideas are hampered by a Senate and Congress that don't always cooperate with him. This is bad for those of us who support the president, but good for those who oppose him. Balance of power.

I am an Obama supporter, but he can irritate the heck out of me. He moves too slowly and tries to hard to make his opponents happy. I could only wish he had imperial type powers and could get things done! But I would never want the office of president to have imperial powers because I may not support the next person in office.
Rhodric
Lord of the Morning

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 1:46 am
Post subject:

Valan Luca for president. The White House needs some flair.
connor
the thief catcher

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 6:02 pm
Post subject:

I've just got up to the Valen luca stage in my Great read. I'd prefer to vote for Ron Paul, which is saying something
connor
the thief catcher

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 6:04 pm
Post subject:

the fact i spelt his name wrong exemplifies my contempt for him
Rhodric
Lord of the Morning

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 5:36 am
Post subject:

You're just jealous you don't have a flashy crimson cape and well turned calves as well.
connor
the thief catcher

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 4:00 pm
Post subject:

he couldnt even pull Nynaeve... come on
Rhodric
Lord of the Morning

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 2:49 pm
Post subject:

Nobody can pull Nynaeve, except for Lan in private.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fantasy Freaks Forum Forum Index -> Hot Hot Hot All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: