The time now is Sat Sep 22, 2018 6:20 am
View unanswered posts
Night Angel triology by Brent Weeks, some general spoilers

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Caleyna
Queen of Silliness

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:11 pm
Post subject: Night Angel triology by Brent Weeks, some general spoilers

I'm about half way through this trilogy, so I guess about half way through the second book? I have the whole trilogy on my Kindle in a bundle so am not really sure.

I like it. I do. The first book was better, but the second book?

I can't stop laughing!

Mike told me some people though Weeks lifted a lot of stuff from WoT but he didn't really believe it.

How? How can you NOT believe it? It is straight up WoT with a twist! Aes Sedai, complete with a spanking! White Cloaks! I am almost positive these magic created monsters that we'll be seeing soon will resemble trollocs in some way.

Let's not forget the female pirates with their boobs hanging out and fancy earrings A country with a line of queens. The marriage knife.

Nope, no resemblance to WoT at all *snicker*

I do enjoy it. I really do. But it is hard to read through this second book without laughing to myself, going "What the sam hill did this guy think he was DOING? Did he think no one would notice?"

It's a fun, fluffy read, though. Well. It's grim, of course, and has it's share of rape, murder, and mayhem. In fact, that magical GodKing guy is beyond the pale. Someone needs to kill him quick.
Lannie
Colonel Chatterbox

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:56 pm
Post subject:

Hmm, I totally don't remember thinking that. Although admittedly nearly every fantasy book I read reminds me of the Belgariad and WoT in same way, so perhaps it didn't strike me as significant. But I'll have to re-read Night Angel once I'm done with WoT (on Crown of Swords) to see if it's super obvious now that WoT is so fresh.

Last edited by Lannie on Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:42 am; edited 1 time in total
Caleyna
Queen of Silliness

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:48 pm
Post subject:

I didn't notice it in the first book, but the second book. . boy howdy!
Portugeek

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:41 am
Post subject:

Caleyna, are they similarities or flat out lifted ideas?

I remember there used to be alot of discussion the other way, about how WoT lifted many ideas from Dune. So might be just shared themes or even in some cases an homage to other stories.
Caleyna
Queen of Silliness

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:56 am
Post subject:

Some of them are just similarities, a few of them felt like they were straight out lifted from the books. I about died with the female magic worker used spanking as a punishment. Soooo WoTTish. Of course, you are right. Jordan used a lot of things from other stories and this could be a case of all these fantasy tropes getting stirred up together. The stories are very different.

Sort of.

Lots of young kids turning out to be very important in the middle of a huge war.
Megaret

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 12:30 am
Post subject:

I didn't get the WoT similarities at all when I read this series either, but it had been a long time since I read or thought about WoT at the time. I do remember it being a very fast read and I enjoyed it though. I'm going to pick up the two that are out in his other trilogy soon.
Alle
The First Evil

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:12 pm
Post subject:

I do remember similarities, but found the trilogy to be fairly forgettable. I enjoyed it for the most part, but little really stuck with me. The first book of his second trilogy I thought was better, and I have been meaning to pick up the second one.
Caleyna
Queen of Silliness

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:02 am
Post subject:

I'm still enjoying it. I'm almost done with the third book and it is getting better. The second book was pretty weak and that's where a lot of the WoT similarities were with the Aes Sedai, White Cloaks, main character losing a hand, etc. It was crazy! But he seemed to get back on track with the third book.

I'll def. be reading more by Weeks.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fantasy Freaks Forum Forum Index -> Bookish All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: