The time now is Mon Jun 18, 2018 8:41 am
View unanswered posts
Stand-alone fantasy novels

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Megaret

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 10:36 pm
Post subject: Stand-alone fantasy novels

I am finding it very hard to find any good fantasy novels that are stand alone, everything I have read lately seems part of a series.... and often unfinished! *cough George RR Martin, Brent Weeks and Patrick Rothfuss I am looking at yous cough*

I have just recently read Best Served Cold and The Heroes by Joe Abercrombie. Both are technically stand alone, but they follow in order and the same universe from his First Law Trilogy. I wouldn't have enjoyed them as much if I hadn't read that trilogy first, but still it was nice to read just one at a time. He has another stand alone coming out in October that I will definitely be getting.
Before those two, the last 'recent' stand alone I remember reading was Heart's Blood by Juliet Marillier, which I really enjoyed.

Does anyone have some good non-series novels to recommend? Even ones that are part of series but could possibly stand alone would be good (Like Ender's Game).
ThrillKillBill

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 1:39 am
Post subject:

I can list many more then this but the others i haven't yet read or don't know much about the authors to suspect they might be good. I enjoyed the following books, though many of these books are outside what I usually get into.

Abbey, Lynn - Jerlayne
Anthony, Piers - If I Pay Thee Not In Gold
Barlowe, Wayne - God's Demon
Eddings, David - The Redemption of Althalus
Gemmell, David - Dark Moon
Gemmell, David - Echoes of the Great Song
Gemmell, David - Knights of Dark Renown
Gemmell, David - The Lost Crown
Gemmell, David - Morning Star
Maguire, Gregory - Confessions of an Ugly Stepsister
Maguire, Gregory - Lost
Maguire, Gregory - Mirror Mirror
Maguire, Gregory - What-the-Dickens: Story of Rogue Tooth Fairy
Saberhagen, Fred - Merlin's Bones
Turtledove, Harry - Ruled Britannia
Williams, Tad - Tailchasers Song
Williams, Tad - The War of the Flowers

Ya born alone
Ya die alone
And still we live on
Yesterday is a memory
Tomorrow is a vision
But today
it's a b*tch
Yesterday is a memory
Tomorrow is a vision
But today
it's a b*tch
Megaret

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 4:07 pm
Post subject:

Thanks for the recommendations! I have read a few of those. I went a-browsing Amazon and found a few maybe to try.

Warbreaker by Brandon Sanderson (I liked the Mistborn trilogy although not enough to get the Alloy of Law book, but I liked his WoT books. I would have gotten Way of Kings... but it is first in a 10 book series! No way I will remember it by the time the 10th comes out)

Graceling by Kirstin Cashore (Never heard of this but it came up as a recommendation. Its YA so could be hit or miss! There may be a sequel but I think they are separate)

The First Confessor by Terry Goodkind (I read a few of the original Sword of Truth series, but I enjoyed the Legend of Seeker tv show way more. I am thinking of giving this e-book only prequel a try)

I will definitely get these two below once they come out in October and September:

Red Country by Joe Abercrombie(Set in the First Law world like the two I mentioned in my previous post, with a few of the same characters. I am really liking this author lately); and

Shadowfell by Juliet Marillier (I just discovered that this book is coming out next month! I think I have read everything she has written and enjoyed them all, so I guess that makes her my favorite author)

I also ended up with a series book despite my best efforts. Its apparently the first in a series of who knows how long:

Raven's Shadow Book One: Blood Song by Anthony Ryan (It got such good reviews- with comparisons to Patrick Rothfuss's Name of the Wind which I enjoyed, also it was 3 bucks for kindle so I picked it up to try).

In non-fantasy fiction I remembered I still want to read The Lost Symbol by Dan Brown, but it has gotten such mixed reviews I am hesitant. I liked Angels and Demons way more than DaVinci Code which was newer.

If anyone's read any of these let me know what you think! And I am still looking for suggestions as well!
connor
the thief catcher

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 4:38 pm
Post subject:

'The stone and the flute' by Hans Bemmann is my favourite stand alone fantasy novel.
Megaret

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 10:47 am
Post subject:

I have not had a lot of time for reading but so far I have read one book on this list and am halfway through another. I wanted to post a trip report though!

The first one I read was Graceling, I chose it first because I wanted something quick and not too heavy (YA generally meets that criteria!). I liked it and it kept me interested, the typical YA fantasy elements were there for a "girl who kicks-ass" story. So if you like that genre, this is a popcorn book for you! I would consider it a stand alone as the story for this book was pretty much wrapped up in the one novel. There is a sequel and prequel but I didn't feel the need to pick them up straight away to find out what happens next with these characters. Its nice to know they are out there if I am running low on reading material in the future though.

The one I am halfway through at the moment is the reason I decided to make this post: Raven's Shadow: Blood Song. It is already becoming a favorite and is very good so far, the way the author ties everything together is great. Its sort of amazing because it is basically self published and only available as an e-book ($3.00 on amazon!). It is full of mystery, political intrigue, assassins, hints of magic etc and is a total page turner. It was compared to Name of the Wind, but I have found it to be so much better and the characters written so much better, they actually change and grow in ways that make sense as the years pass. You can tell the author really spent time in creating his world and crafting the story and it pays off. Its been very hard to put down. So... everyone pick this one up while you can!
Patrick
Sleepless Sonneteer

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 1:24 pm
Post subject:

Hmm...that sounds good! I'm buying it as we speak. *l*

On a mountain of skulls in a castle of pain, I sat on a throne of blood. What was will be, what is will be no more. Now is the season of evil!
Megaret

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 5:09 pm
Post subject:

Trip report! I finished Blood Song and the ending was pretty good. He set up a lot of stuff to look forward to in the next book, which should be in the beginning of next year I think.

However, I also started The First Confessor and so far I am underwhelmed. I find myself skipping pages of inner dialogue waiting for something to actually happen which is not a good sign. If you are a Goodkind fan though I think it is on par with the other couple I read, but it was a while ago. I kinda remember skipping through a lot of those too. I was hoping more Legend of the Seeker as I said above, and less Sword of Truth. Oh well, I will finish and see how it goes.
Megaret

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 7:39 pm
Post subject:

Update! I have been a slow reader but finally finished Shadowfell by Juliet Marillier. It is NOT a stand-alone sadly, but it was typical Marillier fare which is to say I enjoyed it. Her books tend to follow the same sort of themes, and I have read all of them, so I can already see where this heading. I will pick up the rest in the series when they come out!

I have started The Lost Symbol by Dan Brown which I am liking so far, there are few eye-rolly parts but not unexpected. There are little bursts of action between history lessons, which makes me want to skip over the history lessons part to find out if so-and-so got killed which is not good because I enjoy the historical explanations! Angels and Demons remains my favorite of his so far.
Excalibur

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 3:54 pm
Post subject:

i read ready player one by ernest cline. its not your standard medieval type fantasy, its more like a cyber punk postapacyliptic dystopian fantasy set in 2050. All natural resources have been used up and everyones really poor and live in these trailer parks. instead of trailers being side by side they are mounted on these metal scaffolds and stacked on top of each other. Since the world is so bleak people stay connected to this virtual reality called the oasis and even go to school on this. the guy that made it passes away who is like the richest man in the world is giving away his estates and money to the person that wins finding the three eggs hidden in the oasis and hints are given through riddles and game challenges. the contest is over stuff over 80s pop culture and video games that the creator was obsessed with. if u like video games and pop culture u probably would like this and its written well. most of the book takes place in the oasis too.
Megaret

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 6:00 pm
Post subject:

I just picked up The Hangman's Daughter by Oliver Pötzsch which I think may be more period mystery than fantasy but there do seem to be some possible supernatural elements. It seems to be part of series, but not an over-arching storyline, more like each mystery is solved in each book. It got very good reviews and I heard a review of it on NPR which said the author used his own ancestral history as a basis for the characters and stories which seems pretty neat. I am a little worried because it was originally written in German and sometimes the translations are not as good.
Alle
The First Evil

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:46 pm
Post subject:

That sounds really interesting M...let us know how you liked it. I am a little hesitant on reading translations too. There is a French author who wrote terrific historical novels. I was able to get the first one and it was great, then got my hands on the second and it was...not so great. It seemed like it was written by a different person and that was when I noticed that it was a different translator. The books are all out of print and very hard to find, but I did get the third one that had the same translator as the first one I read and it was great. So, yeah...I agree on it being hit or miss, lol.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fantasy Freaks Forum Forum Index -> Bookish All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: