The time now is Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:44 pm
View unanswered posts
Ebook or Realbook?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jade
Seven of Jade

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:59 pm
Post subject: Ebook or Realbook?

I know this topic has been brought up before, generally speaking... But as I am now facing another intercontinental move, I find myself looking at my bookshelf in dismay!

(for perspective, moving estimates are coming in at $1100-1600, for just a pallet of boxes, no furniture. I am considering getting rid of them or storing them somewhere, but I will still end up with non-book items that I'll have difficulty moving, so keeping the whole lot may make more sense in the end)

I know a lot of people prefer having a real book to hold in their hands, which I can appreciate. I love having my books on my shelf to look at and flip through too. But my back problems actually make a comfortable reading position difficult for me sometimes, so the heaviness of something like a WoT book is a real down-side for me - I like being able to easily hold a kindle above me in bed!

Anyway, here's what I desperately wish right now that I could do: pack up all my books into boxes, send them to Amazon, and have them issue me a legit kindle ebook for each one. Hell, at least half my collection is in perfect mint condition - so this could even be profitable for them!

If only...

Anyway - if such a thing were possible, would you do it?

Jade

Xinpheld
Bird Man of Alka-Seltzer

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:24 pm
Post subject:

I would resell the nominal ones at a decent used bookstore, put the worthwhile ones on eBay or Craigslist, keep the ones you can't bear to part with, find as many of them in ebook format on the "Internet Library" and buy ebooks where you must with the profits.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Alle
The First Evil

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 2:04 pm
Post subject:

I agree with Xin's advice on this one Jade. But make sure that the books you do part with...those that you like and may read again..are available in e-book format before trying to dispose of them. There are still a lot of older books and out of print books unavailable electronically.

I have a friend who has been in Germany for the past 3 plus years who is planning on moving back soon. She really loved it there and is sad about coming home. I think her husband really liked it as well, but her contract job is expiring. I do not envy either of you your move!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fantasy Freaks Forum Forum Index -> Bookish All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: