The time now is Wed Oct 23, 2019 9:54 pm
View unanswered posts
LoC Ch. 35 “In the Hall of the Sitters"

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fantasy Freaks Forum Forum Index -> The Black Tower
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rhodric
Lord of the Morning

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:55 pm
Post subject: LoC Ch. 35 “In the Hall of the Sitters"

Somewhere in the vicinity of LoC Ch. 35 “In the Hall of the Sitters”

I’m trying to keep my dislike of Egwene in check because I know it’s going to get out of hand in a few books. She manages to create a gateway to enter TAR in the flesh, something she muses, “no one has ever done before.” It’d probably hurt her pride to discover she’s not even the first Emonds Fielder. Egwene kind of has the Lanfear syndrome of thinking of TAR as her private reserve. Unfortunately for her, every Aes Sedai in the AoL had standard training that allowed them to navigate TAR.

It amazes me the irony of world shattering events occurring in decidedly non-opulent settings. Rand declares himself Dragon in a cow field in Hicksville Toman Head. Egwene is raised to the Amyrlin Seat in a rattle trap inn on the edge of oblivion.

The Amyrlin ceremony is interesting over and above RJ’s penchant for female nudity. All participants strip to the waist to prove their womanhood. It’s strongly implied that once such ceremonies would have been performed “clad in the Light” I.e. completely nude and that men once would have been part of it. More interesting is the ritual of servitude:

“”Please allow me to serve,” Egwene said. Looking straight ahead, Samalin raised her skirts to her knees. Her feet were bare. Egwene washed each foot and patted it dry.”

Now take into consideration TSR Ch. 19 “The Wavedancer.”

“’The White Tower shall be broken by his name, and Aes Sedai shall kneel ito wash his feet and dry them with their hair’”

Aha! Coincidence seems highly unlikely. It could be symbolic that Rand will wield authority like unto an Amyrlin Seat. There’s also the possibility that the Amyrlin Ceremony is a corruption of an older ceremony from the Hall of Servants. “’Once you wore the ring of Tamyrlin and sat on the High Seat…’”

All and all, it seems to offer up a bit too much humility for any initiate of the White Tower to suffer. Aes Sedai - Servants of All. They really have gotten away from that haven’t they?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fantasy Freaks Forum Forum Index -> The Black Tower All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: