The time now is Fri Nov 15, 2019 10:17 am
View unanswered posts
Aug 2012 BOTM - Spoilers to End of Book

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fantasy Freaks Forum Forum Index -> Book Club
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lannie
Colonel Chatterbox

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 12:12 am
Post subject: Aug 2012 BOTM - Spoilers to End of Book

This thread is for discussion of the book The Dragon's Path by Daniel Abraham, up to the end of the book. Discuss it all!
Lannie
Colonel Chatterbox

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 2:41 pm
Post subject:

Oops, was enjoying the book so much that I went straight through the last section and finished the book.

For starters - I can't believe I didn't realize Master Kit was the apostate! I mean, really, how slow am I? My only excuse is that I read the first section, put the book down, didn't read it for about 10 days and pretty much forgot about that storyline until Geder reached the temple. Even then, I didn't put it together.

Ah man, Geder's caught religion - and he has no idea about the spider goddess and just loves the power that truth telling can bring him. Even though he still seems somewhat good and honestly excited about raising Aster, his head is so easily turned by popularity. Popularity more than power I think.

Marcus and Cithrin - ok, still not so sure how that's connected to the other storyline, but the series is called Dagger and Coin after all. And Cithrin talked very very clearly about the two choices - war and money. Still like their stories more than Dawson's. I did like how Clara got a chapter towards the end!

One thing - the author needs better editors, even though he thanked them at the back of the book. I caught several typos that threw me out of the story and the odd grammar mistake that was maybe for tone of the book, but I didn't think so. Price Aster once, instead of Prince. Poor bear, instead of poor dear. That type of thing. Spelling mistakes that a word processor can't catch.

I liked it enough that I have already bought the next book. One click ordering on amazon is so very dangerous to my pocketbook....

Patrick
Sleepless Sonneteer

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 7:15 pm
Post subject:

Since I've already read it (and am 1/2 way through the sequel, The King's Blood *l*) I'll post my thoughts here.

I really enjoyed this book.

I really didn't enjoy the entire Dawson subplot. Normally I like all the political intrigue stuff; as I get older, I find I enjoy it more than the battles. But I find the character just wholly unlikeable; sure, he's honorable in his own way and he behaves by a code of ethics, but in the same way that Confederate generals were honorable gentlemen: their "honor" was inextricably bound up with an intrinsically evil and oppressive society whose existence depended upon the enslavement of others.

I really really loved the Cithrin plot, though! I think she's my favorite character after the Apostate/Master Kit (and yeah, it took me a while to make the connection, heh). Like I said in my no-spoiler entry on the book (or, at least I think I said it), most fantasy novels treat economics only tangentially; in WoT we hear Elayne talk about banks and letters of credit, and we know a bit about the various nations' respective currencies, but that's about it. It's cool to have the economic underpinnings of a fantasy setting being explored as being central to the story, and not just on the periphery.

Geder worries me. He's smart and stupid at the same time. Leaning more towards the latter, what with his accepting the crazy spider goddess religion. He's also a sort of snarky commentary on fantasy fans (he likes "speculative essays," but don't give him any actual power! *l*).

I gotta go now but maybe I'll write more later. I got this book for free when I bought Leviathan Wakes for my Kindle, and I'm glad of it!

On a mountain of skulls in a castle of pain, I sat on a throne of blood. What was will be, what is will be no more. Now is the season of evil!
Caleyna
Queen of Silliness

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 7:55 pm
Post subject:

Whoo-hoo! I had to read through a few sections because the reading was going so well. Couldn't stop to post.

I really like that even though this is epic fantasy and it seems like the same ol' story in some ways, things come along and slap me upside the head and surprise me. I've read so much that very little surprises me. It's not likely to see the young, innocent teen be an alcoholic, or a well read scholar/terrible soldier burn a city. Or the "good guy" be such a staunch supporter of slavery. I love the twists.

I did call Master Kit being the Apostate, though. Score!

I am very, very worried for Prince Aster. Gerder may have book smarts, but lacks life experience and has incredibly poor judgement. Dawson used him well, but Dawson has poor judgement as well.

It will be interesting to see what this spider goddess brings to the proceedings. Just because Master Kit ran away doesn't mean she is all evil, right? Even though having spiders in the blood sounds so gross and creepy. Ugh.

I'm also not sure how Cithrin is going to fit in. I don't find it realistic that a 16 year old girl was that devious and had that much success as a banker. I was glad to see the other guy get the best of her, even though I was sad for her.
Patrick
Sleepless Sonneteer

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 6:40 pm
Post subject:

Regarding the 13 races, Abraham has this up at his website, a short in-universe guide to the races. Helps flesh them out a bit, since the book didn't do much of that.

http://www.danielabraham.com/books-by-daniel-abraham/the-dagger-and-the-coin/the-dragons-path/an-introduction-to-the-taxonomy-of-races/

On a mountain of skulls in a castle of pain, I sat on a throne of blood. What was will be, what is will be no more. Now is the season of evil!
Alle
The First Evil

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 1:26 am
Post subject:

Just finished and I am going to d/l the sequel.

Like pretty much everyone else, I can't stomach Dawson. Clara was a little better, however her character isn't as well fleshed out. She goes from being as sharp as a tack to being utterly inane....and yes, that IS part of her subterfuge but she does it at times when there is only her husband around or her sons, so that irritated me, although its very minor.

The king leaving his son with a person he doesn't even know...errrr...I don't really buy this, but it is what it is, so I will go along with it. Talk about a poor judgement of character. lol

So, the spider goddess has been so well hidden that there is no written mention of her temple, yet Geder can find it in a few months? Things come pretty easily to that asshat and I just want him to pay for what he did to thousands of innocent people.

Although I like Cithrin and Marcus, my favorite character is Master Kit...and I called it from his first entrance to the story that he was most likely the apostate from the prologue, yay! I did, however, roll my eyes when he was out advertising for his play, since he sounded way too much like our favorite Gleeman, Thom Merrilin. lol

So to sum up a bunch of discordant observations, I liked the book and felt it was much stronger then book 1 of Daniel Abraham's Long Price Quartet which had a plot hole large enough to drive a train through.
Alle
The First Evil

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 1:32 am
Post subject:

Patrick wrote:
Regarding the 13 races, Abraham has this up at his website, a short in-universe guide to the races. Helps flesh them out a bit, since the book didn't do much of that.

http://www.danielabraham.com/books-by-daniel-abraham/the-dagger-and-the-coin/the-dragons-path/an-introduction-to-the-taxonomy-of-races/

Thanks for the link...it is very helpful!
Caleyna
Queen of Silliness

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 8:38 am
Post subject:

Yes, thanks for the link! I am about half-way through the second book and some of the races are getting filled out better. We are also getting a lot more backstory on Wester, so that is nice as well.

But yeah. . . Gerder just falls into everything, doesn't he? There is no doubt the king has very poor judgement, though. Thinking of most fantasy books I know, there is no royal family who is going to let a threat stand without serious repercussions.
Lannie
Colonel Chatterbox

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 8:43 am
Post subject:

Looks like we'll all have to start discussing the sequel soon! :) Glad to see the book club pick was good enough for people to want to read the next one. Too bad it's an unfinished series!
Caleyna
Queen of Silliness

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 12:30 pm
Post subject:

I'm about half way through the next book. I told Mike I was going to make a big post about it with all the characters listed and all the plots, so that when the third book comes out I can refer to it and refresh my memory.

He asked me if I was drunk.

I swear I am going to do it, though! I am too old to remember all the little details. I need a good refresher. Anyone know when the third book is expected?
Alle
The First Evil

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 4:40 pm
Post subject:

Caleyna wrote:
I'm about half way through the next book. I told Mike I was going to make a big post about it with all the characters listed and all the plots, so that when the third book comes out I can refer to it and refresh my memory.

He asked me if I was drunk.

I swear I am going to do it, though! I am too old to remember all the little details. I need a good refresher. Anyone know when the third book is expected?

lol Do it C baby! I always mean to try something similar but I am in the midst of so many unfinished series I would spend more time writing notes than anything else!

I think we should keep commenting as we go through book 2. Just put the spoiler through chapter whatever in the post title, and all will be well! It was a successful bcb pick for sure. *s*
Big Bubba
Slayer of Unreads

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 8:26 pm
Post subject:

Done! Last to the table, but I got there in the end.

This is a pretty good book. The ending wasn't too exciting, since it was cobvious for a couple of chapters that Aster would end up with Geder. Geder, Geder, is he the Gollum of this series?

It will be interesting to see what the spider goddess cult will do to Camnipol. I'm sure it will not be pretty. Lots of book burnings, for sure.

I've said it before, Yardem was my favorite character. Wester is probably a close second. Like everyone else, I'm not sure where the Cithrin storline is going. I seem to remember that the woman who read Geder's future in the Keshet said he'd come across the same woman three times. At that time I thought it had to be Cithrin.

Anyway, now I need to go back and finish Leviathan Wakes. I hope I remember what was going on.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fantasy Freaks Forum Forum Index -> Book Club All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: