The time now is Fri Nov 15, 2019 11:18 am
View unanswered posts
Aug 2012 BOTM - Spoilers to pg 137

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fantasy Freaks Forum Forum Index -> Book Club
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lannie
Colonel Chatterbox

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 12:05 am
Post subject: Aug 2012 BOTM - Spoilers to pg 137

This thread is for discussion of the book The Dragon's Path by Daniel Abraham, up to the end of page 137 in my trade paperback copy. (end of chapter "Dawson")
Lannie
Colonel Chatterbox

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 1:26 pm
Post subject:

oops, got distracted by a different book. Had to finish the other one first!

I am enjoying the book so far, although i feel like I'm missing something. Like this is actually book two, instead of one. Each character has back story that's hinted at or partially revealed and I want to know more! I think I'm a little confused too, by the small glimpses of the world that we get through a character like Cithrin but then the big picture through Dawson. Is there a good guy and a bad guy?

There's obviously more to Master Kit than has been revealed so far. And I'm intrigued by the fact that to the bandits Marcus Weber was a legend but Geder had never of him...

Big Bubba
Slayer of Unreads

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:00 pm
Post subject:

Regarding not knowing who is good and who is bad, I don't think it's a coincidence that Abraham is a protege of GRRM. *l*

I'm liking it so far. Rolling my eyes at the occasional overdone grittiness. It's been a while since I saw the past tense of the verb "sh1t" used so frequently, and for no particular reason. I mean, there has been no case of stomch flu at all...

Lannie
Colonel Chatterbox

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:28 pm
Post subject:

Hmm, I never noticed the language. Which is odd, when I think about it. I've been reading English pre-1950s novels in between, which are very proper. I think they might have the occasional darn :) Apparently the "gritty" language felt authentic to me, or at the very least, not weird.

Patrick
Sleepless Sonneteer

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:04 pm
Post subject:

Could be worse...Geder could be shaking the last drops of you-know-what off his two-silver-bells-on-a-string every second page. *sighs*

On a mountain of skulls in a castle of pain, I sat on a throne of blood. What was will be, what is will be no more. Now is the season of evil!
Lannie
Colonel Chatterbox

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 2:33 am
Post subject:

Errr....Patrick? What book are you referencing??
Big Bubba
Slayer of Unreads

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 5:28 am
Post subject:

I believe Pat is accusing Geder of being the Tyrion of this book. *l*
Caleyna
Queen of Silliness

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 12:48 pm
Post subject:

Ok, well I have no freaking clue where I am in this book. I just finished a Dawson chapter, but I have a feeling it is too far. I hate that the kindle only gives me a percentage instead of a page number.

I think we were supposed to think Dawson was a good guy in some way, but he sounds like a major conservative who can't handle change. Hmmmmm. Not so good?

I forsee big things from good ol' Gerder. He is a sly devil and has been studying politics for years. If he can just man up he will make things interesting. He is starting to see his power.
Alle
The First Evil

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 12:27 am
Post subject:

Caly, if you open the kindle to the current place in the book and then hit menu it should say what page you are at. Not all kindle books have a corresponding page number, but this one stated it at amazon.

I liked the 'We SHall Pass' bit. It made me giggle since I immediately thought of Gandalf and his 'You shall NOT pass' bit. hehe

Patrick, you cracked me up with your Tyrion reference. *snicker*

Yeah, it isn't too clear about who is bad versus good, but I am enjoying it so far and am not too concerned with all that as of now. I feel bad for Geder getting stuck with all the nasty jobs in the city, and I don't care much for the guys whose name I can't remember who is now the 'protector' of the city. He seems petty and a bully and that is never a good thing. lol.
Caleyna
Queen of Silliness

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 7:32 am
Post subject:

There's an interview with the author at the end of the book which is pretty interesting, about how he wanted to take an epic fantasy novel and do something different with it. He also referenced Tolkien a lot, so I am thinking he put that in there on purpose. Also, I am thinking he flipped the characters around on purpose. There are def. some things further in that have you going "well, THAT'S not how it is supposed to go." I like little surprises like that (thinking specifically of some of the habits females have that they never have in other epic fantasy).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fantasy Freaks Forum Forum Index -> Book Club All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: