The time now is Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:54 am
View unanswered posts
Daniel Abraham - The Dragon's Path (no spoilers)

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Patrick
Sleepless Sonneteer

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 6:32 pm
Post subject: Daniel Abraham - The Dragon's Path (no spoilers)

In a world once ruled by dragons....

As I mentioned somewhere else, I got this for free, as it was included in my Kindle edition of "James S. A. Corey's" Leviathan Wakes. Quotes because Corey and Abraham are the same person...well, "Corey" is actually two authors, Abraham and a guy named Ty Franck. Er...I think....

Okay I'm confusing myself! Gah! The Dragon's Path is the first book in a planned trilogy called The Dagger and the Coin.

Apparently, Abraham is close buds with GRRM, and it shows; the book is arranged just as ASoIaF: chapters are single-character POVs, and each POV gets several chapters. Like GRRM's series, at first there are multiple, self-contained, and seemingly unconnected plot threads. Unlike GRRM, however, magic and non-human races are common, although the latter are a bit different, in that there are thirteen "races" of mankind, Firstbloods ("normal" humans) and the twelve races who were, basically, genetically/magically engineered from Firstbloods to serve various purposes, all done by the evil masters of the world (here, dragons) in the ancient times.

(Hmm...sounds a bit like Trollocs, Myrdraal, and other Shadowspawn, eh?)

Also, like ASoIaF, the book is mostly, but not entirely, a departure from the typical "naive adolescent gathers a party, performs a quest, recovers the Pimpin' Talisman of Awesome, defeats the Dark Lord, and saves the world" trope. It's also, so far, different from GRRM's basic "haha good guys lose, bad guys win, then I make ppl wait five years LOL I hatez0rz my fans!" trope.

(Remember back in the day, during the WoT vs. ASoIaF debates, when all the big GRRM fans were making fun of the WoT fans because GRRM "actually gets the books out?" Who's laughing now!?)

The book's plot focuses not on action and battle, though there is some of that, but on politics and economics. The writing is very good, though I have to say that (like John Flanagan's books, which I love), names that are too close to "real life" names tend to bug me. It's just a pet peeve of mine, and Abraham does it a lot. Suffice it to say, if I'm reading high fantasy, set in a completely fictional world, with magical beings and alien races, I don't want to see characters with names like Marcus and Dawson. It just feels...lazy? I know it sucks to have to keep thinking up new names that don't sound ridiculous, but come on...Tolkien didn't include an elf named John Smith, now did he?

Anyway, that's about it. I enjoyed it a lot, and bought the sequel the other day, The King's Blood. Will report on that once I'm finished. Since I am studying for the bar exam (omg, 25 days...) that may be a while....

On a mountain of skulls in a castle of pain, I sat on a throne of blood. What was will be, what is will be no more. Now is the season of evil!
Excalibur

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 2:33 am
Post subject:

well hopefully theres not too many different characters every chapter like grrm. i can handle switching to maybe several characters each chapter but grrm had like 10-20. daniel abraham has another trilogy out before that one, and it sounded very economical too. the story seemed more economical than fantasy so i was turned off by it. but who knows i mighta loved it. i just read michael sullivans riyria trilogy and it was really good. its about some professional thieves that do high end jobs for nobles, and do a job that ends up getting them accused of killing a king. they barely escape. they would just go about in hiding and mind their business, but they promise someone that helps them escape to do a task for them that starts them off on an adventure that leads them to unraveling the ancient past history and savind the kingdom in the end of the trilogy from annihilation. its kinda classic fantasy that has dwarves, elves, goblins, and of course humans. the races are all cliche, but he still makes the races the shiznick, especially the elves. anybody read martha wells before? thinking about reading her books next.
Daeron

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 6:27 am
Post subject: Viewpoints

Too many viewpoints, in my opinion, can be a real downer.

A lot of times, unless the author is really, really, good, switching into a char viewpoint just spoils the charcter.
Patrick
Sleepless Sonneteer

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:32 am
Post subject:

Abraham is much milder than GRRM in terms of POV...the scifi and fantasy books I've read each have maybe five different POVs, tops, with maybe a different one for the pro,ogue.

On a mountain of skulls in a castle of pain, I sat on a throne of blood. What was will be, what is will be no more. Now is the season of evil!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fantasy Freaks Forum Forum Index -> Bookish All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: