The time now is Sun Oct 13, 2019 8:39 pm
View unanswered posts
The Hobbit Movie
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fantasy Freaks Forum Forum Index -> Moving Pictures
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Are you excited about the change in director, or frightened out of your little LoTR mind?
Excited
38%
 38%  [ 8 ]
Frightened out of my little LOTR mind
19%
 19%  [ 4 ]
Indifferent(booh!)
42%
 42%  [ 9 ]
Total Votes : 21

LunaRaven

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 9:36 pm
Post subject:

Egads! You beat me to my headline! But yes, it appears to be true. Del Toro left the Hobbit. The article can be found here
LunaRaven

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 8:43 pm
Post subject:

It has been a while since I’ve updated this discussion and I’m sure most avid Tolkien fans have already heard the most recent news in regards to The Hobbit ,but I’ve decided to compile all of the information in a neat little post—because I’m spiffy like that.

For confirmed cast we have:

Legolas= Orlando Bloom
Gandalf= Ian McKellen
Bilbo= Martin Freeman
Gollum= Andy Serkis
Galadriel= Cate Blanchett
Frodo= Elijah Wood
Saruman= Christopher Lee
Elrond= Hugo Weaving
Thorin= Richard Armitage
Fili= Rob Kazinsky
Kili= Aidan Turner
Oin= John Callen
Dwalin= Graham McTavish
Dori= Mark Hadlow
Bombur= Stephen Hunter
Bifur= William Kircher
Bofur= James Nesbit
Gloin= Peter Hambleton
Nori= Jed Brophy
Ori- Adam Brown
Balin= Ken Scott
Radagast= Sylvestor McCoy
Beorn= Michael Persbrandt
Thranduil= Lee Pace
Drogo Baggins= Ryan Gage

I’m not entirely sure what parts Legolas and Frodo are going to play in this movie(afterall Frodo wasn’t born during the time of the Hobbit), but I assume they’ll be small cameos. Some sources say Ian Holm has signed on for reprising the role of an older Bilbo, so I suppose if they do a flash forward scene then Frodo would be plausible. The voice actor for Smaug has not been announced yet, though the rumored contenders are: Leonard Nemoy and Stephen Fry. I’m all for Nemoy, but then I’d watch anything with Spock in it.

The Hobbit has been through some…tribulations since it was first announced, but rest assured it is in production. Here is a link to Peter Jackson’s first installment of his behind the scenes documentary of the filming of the Hobbit:

http://www.facebook.com/mobileprotection#!/video/video.php?v=10150223186041807
Kheltan
Silky Smooth Since Seventeen

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:24 am
Post subject:

I hope they can pull it together. I was hoping that after the success of LotR we would see more high-quality fantasy but it hasn't happened yet. Hobbit would be nice.

I have to admit, though, that the rumor I most excited by is that David Tennant may be attached to the project as Thranduil (sp?).

LunaRaven

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 7:50 pm
Post subject:

Kheltan wrote:
I hope they can pull it together. I was hoping that after the success of LotR we would see more high-quality fantasy but it hasn't happened yet. Hobbit would be nice.

I have to admit, though, that the rumor I most excited by is that David Tennant may be attached to the project as Thranduil (sp?).

It looks like they're going for Lee Pace instead of David Tennant. After watching PJ's video blog on facebook I feel pretty psyched about the project. I really like Del Toro, but I don't think he was the man for the job. His artistic style has never screamed Tolkien to me and I'm pleased that the Hobbit is in the hands of someone that did such a good job with LotR. They're also having quite a few returning cast and crew members and I imagine it will be comfortable for them to work under the same person again.
LunaRaven

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 11:09 pm
Post subject:

Update to the cast list:

Smaug= Benedict Cumberbatch
Bard= Luke Evans
The Goblin King= Barry Humphries
Tauriel(an OC Sylvan elf character made for the movie...potentially a "yikes" character)= Evangeline Lilly

Now, I'm hoping that this female character won't have much to do with the plot and is just present to add some gender diversity. PJ did set the more paranoid of us fans at ease by saying that she would not have a romance with Legolas. Overall, I don't really mind them adding a female tracker into the mix--as a little girl I always wanted a girl character in the Hobbit. I just hope they don't try to mosey her into the main plot. If they used her like the female tracker was used in The Hobbit game by Vivendi they'll probably be okay.
Xinpheld
Bird Man of Alka-Seltzer

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 6:08 am
Post subject:

I can't help but think they're putting her in there just so they'll have something for the girls' Happy Meals.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
julie
Wicked Wisdom

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 4:57 pm
Post subject:

Ugh.

Now I am having horrid Liv Tyler flashbacks. I may vomit.

This really irritates me. And I actually like Evangeline Lilly. I don't have a deep seated revulsion for her like I do Liv Tyler. But it's just not necessary to add a female character to the story just to have some breasts on screen. Seriously! Little girls don't require a female elf happy meal toy. They would be just as happy with little dwarves and ponies and dragons and eagles. Maybe Peter Jackson thinks the GUYS watching would like a female happy toy.

It always irritated me that the rationale given for expanding Arwen's role in TLotR was aimed at having a love story for the female audience. Bulldroppings. If we want to watch a love story we go see a rom com. It just isn't necessary. Tolkien's work is lyrical and romantic WITHOUT extraneous additions. It's just eye candy for those of the male audience who like a little jiggle with their action adventure. I will be very interested to see Ms. Lilly's wardrobe for the film. At least they won't put her in a gold bikini.

Maybe Bill the pony should be Betty the pony. Maybe Gollum could have a girlfriend. Maybe one of the dwarves could be in drag if you really must have some feminine presence added.
Jade
Seven of Jade

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 1:19 am
Post subject:

don't you know, Julie? Some of the dwarves are in drag. You just don't know which ones, because we can't tell the men and women apart ;-)

Jade

LunaRaven

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 8:11 pm
Post subject:

I'd be down for a Betty the Pony.
Xinpheld
Bird Man of Alka-Seltzer

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 12:44 pm
Post subject:

Entertainment Weekly just released the first three pics from the production:

http://www.ew.com/ew/gallery/0,,20504849,00.html#20980350
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
LunaRaven

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 8:24 pm
Post subject:

So my Tolkien freaks, loads have happened since this thread began—happily only good things. For instance, the movie is actually being made. It took a bit of a detour after Del Toro decided to leave the project, but since Peter Jackson stepped back into his directing shoes, the movie has made fantastic progress. Including **drunroll** the first trailer! Most of us avid Tolkien fans have already seen the trailer(several times), but for those who haven’t, here it is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G0k3kHtyoqc

Richard Armitage looks fantastic—though a little young for the Thorin I’ve always pictured. After having watched BBC’s Sherlock, I’m now all for Cumberland as the voice of Smaug. We haven’t seen any pictures of Lee Pace as Thranduil yet, and I’m hoping that he’ll look better than I think he’ll look.

Might I just say: I’M SO FREAKISHLY EXCITED FOR THIS MOVIE! This is my favorite Tolkien book, and an important part of my early years as a little nestling. Naturally, I’m going to dress up for the premier. What about my fellow freaks? What shall you go as? Hobbit, Elf, Dwarf, Spider, Dragon, Goblin, Eagle?
Xinpheld
Bird Man of Alka-Seltzer

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 2:51 pm
Post subject:

We're going to go see it in our pajamas on Christmas Day, like we did for the first two LotR movies (we saw the third on Trilogy Tuesday). My wife, our teddy bears and I are quite excited.
LunaRaven

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:27 pm
Post subject:

Xinpheld wrote:
We're going to go see it in our pajamas on Christmas Day, like we did for the first two LotR movies (we saw the third on Trilogy Tuesday). My wife, our teddy bears and I are quite excited.

Pajamas? GENIUS! If I weren't so set on putting on hobbit ears, I might steal that idea. Of course, I could always go as a hobbit in pajamas...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fantasy Freaks Forum Forum Index -> Moving Pictures All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: