The time now is Sun Oct 13, 2019 8:43 pm
View unanswered posts
Favorite Fantasy Films

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fantasy Freaks Forum Forum Index -> Moving Pictures
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LunaRaven

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 6:08 am
Post subject: Favorite Fantasy Films

I’m not sure if there was already one of these and I’m too much of a lazy bird to check. Anywho, what are your favorite Fantasy films? They don’t have to be ranked in particular order and there isn’t a quota(they can be live action or animated). Fantasy movies are far less well known and less successful than science-fiction movies I’ve noticed and, while I love a lot of sci-films(infact, I prefer the genre in movie format opposed to book format), this is a fantasy freaks forum. Luna’s favorite fantasy movies are:

The Lord of the Rings trilogy
Labyrinth
The Wizard of Oz(1939)
Dragonheart
The Cat Returns
Pan’s Labyrinth
The Princess Bride
Edward Scissorhands
Peter Pan(live action)
The Nightmare Before Christmas
Big Fish
Princess Monoke
The Last Unicorn
Beauty and the Beast
Castle in the Sky
TamAlthor
The Zeppo

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 12:03 pm
Post subject:

If you haven’t check them out the following may be candidates for your list

Legend

The Sword and the Sorcerer

Some people like the Conan movies, and they do a cheesy goodness about them if you feel like doing your own mystery science theater night.

I don’t know if you would count as fantasy but any Shakespear with Kenneth Branah is the bomb diggity

"The truth is that our finest moments are most likely to occur when we are feeling deeply..unhappy, or unfulfilled. For it is only in such moments..we are likely to step out of our ruts and start searching for different ways or truer answers
-M. S. Peck
LunaRaven

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 7:15 am
Post subject:

Legend had Tim Curry in it right? As some sort of demon thing? I seem to remember Mako being in one(or both of) the Conan movies. I think i'm definately due to revisit some 80's fantasy films--atleast for giggles.

Kenneth Branah DOES have a fanastical quality about him. Luna will have to give this subject more contemplation
Kheltan
Silky Smooth Since Seventeen

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:16 am
Post subject:

Legend did indeed have Tim Currey as the Devil...and a very young Tom Cruise as the hero. Classic though, just the same.

Mako was the old sorcerer in the first Conan (Conan: The Barbarian)...can't remember the character's name.

Branaugh's Henry V is fantastic! And the ensamble that makes up his production of Much Ado About Nothing was fairly impressive as well...except Keanu Reeves, he was un-exceptional. Denzel Washington did a fair job, though.

If you really want an impressive take on Shakespeare check out the 2007/08 Royal Shakespeare Company production of Hamlet with David Tennant and Patrick Stewart (filmed in 2009). It is just plain WOW!

I don't know that I could come with a list of my Favorite Fantasy Flicks...there are the ones that are really good (e.g. LotR)...there are the ones that are really bad, but sentimental for me (e.g. Krull)...and there are those that are both good and sentemental (e.g. umm...LotR! *lol*). I agree with most of those mentioned already (the ones I've seen anyway). Not a bid Dragonheart fan, save Sean Connery as the dragon. Haven't seen Pan's Labyrinth yet. Mononoke Hime is wonderful as is just about anything else as Miyazaki! Although not entirely fantasy, I thoroughly enjoy Kurosawa's period word (Yojimbo, Sanjuro, Shichinin no Samurai, Ran...and so on). The original Conan is decent and enjoyable, but the followup (with Wilt "The Stilt" Chamberlin) was disapointing. If you do like the old Conan movies Red Sonja is a must see.

See...I could go on and on without really getting a good list. I guess I've just seen too many to keep them all straight in my head any more! *lol8

Khel

Xinpheld
Bird Man of Alka-Seltzer

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 12:30 pm
Post subject:

Here are my adds to the list.

First, good movies:

Ladyhawke (Rutger Hauer, Matthew Broderick, Michelle Pfeiffer);

Howl's Moving Castle;

Spirited Away;

The Neverending Story, which is still an awesome kid's movie;

Willow, which I love almost as much as Princess Bride;

Flesh + Blood, another Rutger Hauer classic;

Dragonslayer starring a young Peter McNichol;

The Dark Crystal, another of my top favorites;

Highlander, cos Queen! and swords! and Mr Krabs!

Time Bandits;

Pee-Wee's Big Adventure -- yeah, I said it; and

The Hobbit, as in the Rankin-Bass cartoon movie from 1977.

Then, the bad movies that are still fun to watch:

The Beastmaster which was one of my all-time favorites as a kid;

Clash of the Titans (1981);

any Sinbad movie;

[i]The Barbarian Brothers
    , which is so awful, it's comedic;

Kull the Conqueror

That's all I can pull out of my brain for now. Some I may have blocked from my memory, for my own good.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
TamAlthor
The Zeppo

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 1:04 pm
Post subject:

oh wow Xin awesome list! wish i had thought of those!
"The truth is that our finest moments are most likely to occur when we are feeling deeply..unhappy, or unfulfilled. For it is only in such moments..we are likely to step out of our ruts and start searching for different ways or truer answers
-M. S. Peck
Excalibur

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 6:09 pm
Post subject:

heres some more to add:

Excalibur and Sword in the Stone
The Secret of Nimh
The Black Cauldron
Eragon
all the Harry Potters
Return to Oz
Flight of the Navigator
Krull
Goonies
ET
Mac and Me
Darby O'Gill and the Little People

you guys already got most of them already covered, just thought of a few I could add both old and new to the list
LunaRaven

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 7:58 pm
Post subject:

I can't believe I forgot to list Highlander! Filmed Hamlet with Patrick Stewart you say? You had me at Patrick Stewart. The Neverending Story was one of my favorite flicks as a child--even if it did deviate from the book quite a bit(or atleast, I remember it deviating. I haven't read it in the longest time). I really hated Return to Oz when I was a kid because I wanted my regular cast of Oz characters, but i've come to really like it as an adult.

I would never add Eragon to my list of favorite fantasy films. To each their own however. Sword in Stone? Absolutely. "Blow me to Bermuda!"
The Black Cauldron wasn't one of my favorite movies when I was younger, but it was one of my favorite books. Oracular Pig--what's not to love? Personally, I would only put the 1st, 4th, and 5th Harry Potter movies on my list. I haven't seen the first part of the 7th yet.
Jade
Seven of Jade

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 12:48 am
Post subject:

David Tennant is also totally awesome. You can't go wrong with a Tennant and Stewart Hamlet double-whammy.

Sword in the Stone! totally!!! I think they must have showed us that at some daycare thing when I was a kid, and more than once, and I remember always loving it!!

Same for Neverending Story. Never got tired of that when I was a kid. I really liked Dark Crystal too, but I didn't see Labyrinth until I was an adult, and it just didn't have the same sort of appeal. Sometimes I think some of these movies really enthrall us as kids, and they then have sentimental value, but if we don't see them as kids it just isn't the same.

Secret of Nimh - I liked the books better.

Eragon - bleh. The book was average, the movie was terrible.

I agree, anything by Miyazake is awesome.

Pan's Labyrinth is an absolute must. I adored this movie, and I just love the music! It's a perfect fairytale story.

Can't think of anything new to add to the list, although I'm sure there's something.

Does Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon count? What about Monty Python's Holy Grail? Cause you can't beat that.

Jade

LunaRaven

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 9:51 pm
Post subject:

Quote:
Same for Neverending Story. Never got tired of that when I was a kid. I really liked Dark Crystal too, but I didn't see Labyrinth until I was an adult, and it just didn't have the same sort of appeal. Sometimes I think some of these movies really enthrall us as kids, and they then have sentimental value, but if we don't see them as kids it just isn't the same.

It is true. There are plenty of things that hold sentiment now but are otherwise completely rediculous(but then, I like rediculous things). I think children are able to take the good out of things and latch onto them opposed to many adults who are taught to view things critically and more often than not latch onto faults.

I would think Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon would count since the story is completely fantastical. I would say Monty Python and the Holy Grail counts as well.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fantasy Freaks Forum Forum Index -> Moving Pictures All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: