The time now is Wed Oct 23, 2019 8:57 pm
View unanswered posts
Freakout Vancouver 2011 - Hotel Discussion
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fantasy Freaks Forum Forum Index -> Freak Speak
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Caleyna
Queen of Silliness

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 8:33 am
Post subject:

Should we go ahead and book at Quality Inn?
jana

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:07 am
Post subject:

That would work for me. There are several hostels in the immediate vicinity, and the ones that I checked all have availability.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Caleyna
Queen of Silliness

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 3:57 pm
Post subject:

Ok, just booked our hotel at Quality Inn. Looks like they are running low on rooms, so I would suggest people book as soon as possible.

FYI, you can book through ebates.com and get 3.5% cash back. If you aren't a member of ebates, you should be! I am not writing this to get referral money, but if you aren't a member and join you can sign up with my carrie[at]mosaicminds[dot]net email and I'll get $5 or something.
julie
Wicked Wisdom

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 6:59 pm
Post subject:

OK, I got my room, too. It's looking like it's just going to be me and Rob. I'm going to look at flights now.

I can't decide whether I should get a car or not. Will I really need one, Jette? We could cab from and back to the airport, but if we'll need one on Friday or Saturday, let me know. I hate driving in unfamiliar cities, so if we don't have to have one, I'm not getting one.
Lannie
Colonel Chatterbox

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 9:32 pm
Post subject:

I honestly don't think you'll need a car Julie - if Carrie and Mike are renting one and I have mine, I'm sure we will be ok. It sounds like it's just you, Rob, Jana and Jade and the five of us fit in my car :)
And even if we are completely carless - the Quality Inn is 9 blocks from the Millenium line, I'm sure we can walk to it. Transferring to the Expo is a pain in the butt, but competely possible (well, actually, I assume so, thousands of people do so everyday. Just not me...).
As for getting to/from the airport - I can arrange to be ferry service depending on arrival times. In addition, the Millenium Line actually goes right to the airport. A cab from the airport to downtown Vancouver is maybe $30?

I'll start going through all the brochures I picked up so we can make general plans for what we want to do. The only thing I think we absolutely HAVE to do is Science World - I think Erik will love it.
julie
Wicked Wisdom

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 5:21 pm
Post subject:

Thanks for all the info, Lannie! I did get our flights booked last night and we're getting in at around noon on Thursday. If that works for you for a ride, I will gratefully accept. If not, we can take the train or a cab. We'll take the train on Sunday morning if it runs at a good time and a cab if it doesn't. Our flight out leaves at about 11, so we'd have to be there by 9, I assume. How far out is the airport from the hotel? (time-wise)

I think I will love Science World, too!
Lannie
Colonel Chatterbox

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 10:15 pm
Post subject:

Half an hour? I won't know until closer if I have the Thursday off, but I'm sure we can arrange something for the Sunday, although you may have to drag me out of bed :)

Jade
Seven of Jade

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 2:48 am
Post subject:

For transport from the airport, there's a train that takes you to the city for, like, $8, right Lannie? You can use the ticket to transfer to another bus/train if necessary. That was my plan. It runs till about 1 in the morning too. For single travelers, that's probably the easiest option. For family groups, I agree with Lannie, I remember taxis being in the vicinity of $30.

We can tally up people and consider car options, I guess, but there are so many things that are public transport accessible. Is it even easier to drive if you're going to places like Science World and Stanley Park? I'm not sure it is, but despite 6 years in the city, I have very little experience with car-travel there!

I'm not sure I've been keeping track. How many people do we have attending?

Me and Lannie, Carrie and Mike + 2, Julie and Rob ?, Leslie, ...... Am I missing people?

Jade

Caleyna
Queen of Silliness

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 9:45 am
Post subject:

I'm wondering how much we'll really need a car. Driving in a new city really sucks, but we do have the two kids to transport. Elsa can ride in her stroller on the train or whatever. Erik is fine with walking long distances. I don't know. I guess we would have to figure out about car seats in taxi cabs. In Sweden all cabs carry a car seat in the trunk, but I don't know about Canada (or the US for that matter).
jana

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 11:29 pm
Post subject:

I'm booked at a hostel 3 blocks away from the Quality Inn!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fantasy Freaks Forum Forum Index -> Freak Speak All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: