The time now is Fri Nov 15, 2019 9:55 am
View unanswered posts
The August Book of the Month Is.....

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fantasy Freaks Forum Forum Index -> Book Club
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lannie
Colonel Chatterbox

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 12:57 am
Post subject: The August Book of the Month Is.....

The August Book of the Month Is...... The High Wizard of Silvinesh by R.A. Scully!

The High Wizard has offered to provide any freaks reviewing the book a free copy. Please PM him your address as quickly as possible so he can send you your copy.

If you do not feel comfortable providing the High Wizard with your address, Amazon.com, Amazon.uk.co, and Chapters.ca all list the book as in stock and available, although in hardcover.

Once I get my copy, I will post the discussion threads.
High Wizard of Silvinesh

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 10:11 am
Post subject:

To start and for those that worry about giving out their info, I have generated a coupon, to upload a free copy of my novel. It expires on July 31st and is valid for anyone who wants an Ebook copy. Coupon code is XB99Z let me know if you have any problems. Below is the link to Smashwords, many options more multiple users. I'll try to get out the physical copies ASAP. For those that live outside of Canada, I may order a copy in your area and have it sent to your address, easier and far less costly in shipping, to me.

Thanks again, can't wait to hear what you think. I plan to peek in every now and then so if there are questions, I can answer them.

http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/19033
LunaRaven

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 11:04 pm
Post subject:

On one foot, I'd love to save Mr.Wizard the trouble of sending me the copy by reading it online. On the other foot, my asitgmatism doesn't allow me to stare at a computer screen comfortably for a long time, so it would be slow going. Ponder, Ponder, Ponder...
ThrillKillBill

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 12:39 am
Post subject:

I must say.... I'm real excited to read this...... and if your curious why, well i'll tell you. Last year my grandfather died, I was named after him. We are both William. Now, the main character travels with whom? Why, none other then her grandfather William............ it's already speaking my heart. *g*

Ya born alone
Ya die alone
And still we live on
Yesterday is a memory
Tomorrow is a vision
But today
it's a b*tch
Yesterday is a memory
Tomorrow is a vision
But today
it's a b*tch
High Wizard of Silvinesh

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 5:41 pm
Post subject:

That is cool William! Just wait until you read the book, it will totally surprise you at another interesting fact you will discover, just a few chapters in :) Probably blow you away when you read it.

K, all but one person will have books coming as of today. I just need a few details, and his will be off as well. Let me know when everyone's copy shows up. I'll be out of town this weekend, but will check my mail on my laptop, whenever possible. After Aug 1st, I will not give away anymore books. Those who are in the club, ready to participate in this review, should message me in the next day or two. Again, the Ebook is up and available for free, until July 31st. This copy is for anyone who wants it, no strings, no need to be with this review to have it.

Thanks again, talk to you all very soon!

Rodney Scully
ThrillKillBill

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 11:43 am
Post subject:

My copy just arrived.... i'll be able to dig into it later this day I think :-)

It was estimated that it'd show by Aug 13th..... so I would guess other ppls' copies will also arrive soon :-D

Ya born alone
Ya die alone
And still we live on
Yesterday is a memory
Tomorrow is a vision
But today
it's a b*tch
Yesterday is a memory
Tomorrow is a vision
But today
it's a b*tch
High Wizard of Silvinesh

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 10:06 pm
Post subject:

I believe the US and Canadian orders should show up pretty quick since the books are printed in South Carolina. The UK and Australia orders may take a lil more time, because of customs and the channels they have to go through. Really hoping it all works out and nobody has to wait or scramble to catch up, part way through the month. I am really impressed with my, publisher and distributor, reaally good, on the money, no BS.

Thank you again folks, can't wait to see what you think of my work. Have a great weekend, all the best.
High Wizard of Silvinesh

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 6:26 pm
Post subject:

Well guys and gals, it's been a month, a few comments would be really nice. I lived up to my end of it all, by sending those who agreed to join in, free books. I look forwad to seeing what you thought, thanks.
Lannie
Colonel Chatterbox

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 1:39 am
Post subject:

High Wizard - my apologies for not posting sooner regarding your book, but I have been uncertain of what to say. I do agree that you deserve feedback since you provided our book club with copies on the understanding that we would read the book.
First off, I am amazingly impressed that you were able to write a book! I once hoped I'd be able to call myself a writer, but never got past bit and pieces. I think you have done something to be proud of.
Unfortunately, I have not read past chapter four. I keep meaning to pick it up and continue on as the plot synopsis appeals to me, but the writing style doesn't seem to suit me. Some of it is as simple as formating (the space between paragraphs bothers me for some unexplainable reason). I also never have liked books written in the present tense (again, very unexplainable).
The book currently lives on my night stand table as I do want to read it, but I am finding it hard going.
I'm sorry I don't have more positive feedback.
Caleyna
Queen of Silliness

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 6:24 pm
Post subject:

High Wizard, like Lannie I also don't quite know what to say. I should have done more research when you were promoting it b/c my general policy is to never say I will read or review a self-published book. I don't know why I didn't pay attention to that aspect of the book.

I want to give postive, or at least constructive feedback, but I have to admit it is rough going for me. The sentences need to be seriously edited down--they just don't parse well for me.

I think the first step would be to make it look more polished and professional. Professional books always start chapters on odd pages. They never have the weird break between paragraphs that Lannie mentions. All of that just screams ameatur. I know that's not the kind of feedback you are looking for, but for a busy reader who has read way, way too much those things matter. I keep meaning to get more into it so I can give better feedback b/c I know it wasn't cheap for you to ship the books out to all of us, but it is very difficult for me to find time to read a book that doesn't appeal to me.
TASB

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 11:25 pm
Post subject:

I am working my way through the book as I can. Currently up to chapter 22. I am seeing a steady improvement in the writing as you progressed through the book. I'm guessing you didn't have a large budget to dedicate to polishing the work once it was completed. In future I would highly recommend you invest some money in a professional editor and get some test reads done from 3rd party readers who do not know you directly.

I am finding the book is quickly jumping between plot arcs with out enough attention been given to them.

Click here to see the hidden message (It might contain spoilers)

The tree died but a new one was planted and grew to maturity over night because the main characters happened to be there at the right time with the magic acorns. It was all too convenient and happened too fast.

I think you need to dedicate more time and effort into properly fleshing out a smaller number of plot lines rather than trying to cram so much in and not giving enough attention to what is there.

Regarding the relationships between characters, they could use a lot more work too. I think I have lost count of how many times William and Alentia have said they love each other and how wise they both are. You established the bond between these two characters very early. There is no need to keep repeating the same conversation/thoughts. Instead centre your dialog around what is happening and how the characters are behaving in relation to events.

Your world would also benefit from more clearly defined rules. You don't need to tell the readers these rules directly but you as an author need to know them. There isn't very much consistency between events. In once instance William/Alentia will do something incredibly powerful with minimal effort or very minor fatigue and then later they will be overcome but some obstacles that seems trivial compared to what they have just done. It doesn't sit right with me when there is some huge challenge and it is solved by William saying to Alentia just use your mind's eye with me and do this and then it just works. Followed by them saying they didn't know that it could be done or that it has never been done. The point I am trying to make is that if the reader feels that interactions within the world are not consistent then it makes it very difficult to become immersed in the world.

I really hope you can take the criticism constructively and use it to improve your writing and grow as an author. I think people are finding it difficult because you are so passionate and excited about your book. I will finish reading it. Please let me know if you want further comments as I go.
Dudde
The Monster at the end of this Post

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 4:22 pm
Post subject:

I GOT IT!

I apologize for my absence,

but my girlfriend and I got Nook's for each other for our anniversary (1 year yay) and the first thing I got was the High Wizard of Silvinesh.

woot

<3 you all !
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fantasy Freaks Forum Forum Index -> Book Club All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: